Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NEW to glow!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NEW to glow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 PM
andrewtexas123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW to glow!

Ok so my engine is an os65.. And when Ever I try to spin the prop it will make one little comprestion noise and then wont go any further with out ALOT OF FORCE and then same thing if I spin it back. If I takeoff the glow plug then it spins normaly! What do you guys think is wrong?

Once this question is answered I will post the next one after

Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEW to glow!

If it spins easy without the glow plug then what you are feeling is compression and compression is a good thing in a glow engine. Also, many cylinders are slightly tapered, getting smaller toward the top. This can create a tight spot at top dead center. As the engine heats up the cylinder shape will get more uniform. This is an intentional part of the engine design.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM
andrewtexas123

But it wont spin easy with the glow plug on it so how is it supposed to start?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: andrewtexas123

But it wont spin easy with the glow plug on it so how is it supposed to start?
Trust me, it will start. It needs the compression to help created enough heat for combustion. If there is tightness coming from the tapered cylinder, this will go away after then engine is running and heats up. Sometimes a few drops of engine oil can help loosen it up too. Another thing I've done is put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and sit spinning the engine over by hand while watching TV or something; it does help a little.

Are you trying to spin it over by just grabbing the prop hub or do you have a prop on it? The prop will provide leverage, allowing you to spin it easier. Regardless, you should be able to flip start it with the prop on or use a good electric starter.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: andrewtexas123

Ok so my engine is an os65.. And when Ever I try to spin the prop it will make one little comprestion noise and then wont go any further with out ALOT OF FORCE and then same thing if I spin it back. If I takeoff the glow plug then it spins normaly! What do you guys think is wrong?
Sounds normal, I don't think anything is wrong. Welcome to glow engines. Now go get yourself some 409 and a roll of paper towels.
Paul
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM
mkharv3

Sounds to me like you got a good motor. Fired it up and have fun!!!!

Good luck to you.

Mark
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
andrewtexas123

Hmm next thing is is my prop on right lol How do I tighten it up all the way?

Srew-Spinner-Metal "0" hold down thing- Prop - Engine
->>>>>> Engine

My Iphone doesnt like me so If you need a picture of it post your email and I will send it to you or if I ould send it to some one and they up load it that be great!!

Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 AM
mkharv3

You can send the photos to my email and I will post them for you. Just send to [email protected]
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 AM
andrewtexas123

You got mail!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
mkharv3

Andrewtexas123

I think that most would agree that they way you have your prop set up is not the most ideal. However it will work if you like t that way. If you have an electric starter you can flip the starter cone around and press firmly onto your prop to get is started. You could also purchase a chicken stick to turn it over the old fashion way.

I think personally if you are having problems turning it over try getting rid of that adapter and set screw you already have and replace it a few one of a couple options I posted pictures for.

First I posted the picture you sent me for others to see.

If you remove your current setup and put a spinner backplate on first then the prop/prop washer and prop nut/then attached the cone that would work and make things really easy.

Or you could just throw you prop on and add a larger prop nut on it. That with act as your spinner and nut together. You just get the right size and bolt it on the shaft tightly and use the starter to get her going.

You really have a lot of options here but I think the plastic spinner with a regular prop nut would be best.

If you need links to some suggestions let me know. Hope the pictures help.

What do the est of you think?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12681.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1075578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54532.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1075580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90945.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1075581  
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one has mentioned that he could be running into hydro lock from possibly being overprimed. Continuing to turn the engine over could result in a bent crankshaft or connecting rod. Removing the glowplug and just draining the fuel from the top end of the engine could fix the lockup. Because the descriptions of some of these things may be somewhat subjective, trying to enlist the aid of someone with some experience could be extremely beneficial, possibly preventing the engine from being ruined, and in just 5 to 10 minutes, someone could show him what he was looking at, getting it started successfully, and even tuned. If he were closer, I would have no objections to giving a hand.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: bingo field
trying to enlist the aid of someone with some experience could be extremely beneficial, possibly preventing the engine from being ruined, and in just 5 to 10 minutes, someone could show him what he was looking at, getting it started successfully, and even tuned.
Couldn't agree more! There is also the safety aspect of an inexperienced person (no disrespect intended) trying to get a 60-sized glow engine running on their own. Words on paper or on a screen can only convey so much. Andrew, get thee to a club with experienced glow pilots and they'll get you going in short order.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
txaggie08

Lord have mercy.....

Make sure the first time you try to crank this thing you use a chicken stick or a starter.....

And remember the first, last, and most important rule of glow motors- whatever you stick in a spinning prop will not come back whole. Never EVER reach through a prop....
Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
andrewtexas123

For the last three people that replyed.. IM not a noob and I know what to do and what not to do.. IM not evan tryingto start the engine or put fuel in it as discribed in my first post it does not turn freely with out any fuel..

Ok I guess I will be picking up a spinner on saterday when I go to the hooby shop... As for a starter I have an elctric one.. And the rubber pieace that grips the spinner just flys off so should I glue it on or how should I permently attach it?

Thanks Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
txaggie08

NEW to glow!
vs.

For the last three people that replyed.. IM not a noob and I know what to do and what not to do..

Sorry bro, if you don't know that a glow engine, or any engine, is going to create pressure as it reaches TDC, you're obviously VERY new to running a combustion motor of any variety. I've seen more than a couple of old timers, that had run small CL motors for years, make mistakes that cost them trips to the ER, so don't get righteously indignant when we say something to you....
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 PM
andrewtexas123

so don't get righteously indignant when we say something to you....
Then only answer my question and dont go off on some other stupid info that I dont need to know. I have common sense and dont need to be told to not put my finger in the prop I dont know about you but my dog knows better then that.

Regards
Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM
txaggie08

And a little kid knows better than to put his hand on a stove cause he's been told it'll burn him, doesn't mean he wont still do it!

Get off you're little high horse and come back down to reality. Your playing with a salad shooter that will slice and dice your arm up, and you get pissed off at me for warning you to be careful when it's obvious you didn't know what you where doing? Yeah I'm not into aiding an abetting self mutilation.

I think I'll check out of this conversation, I'm not interested in an argument.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
andrewtexas123

I think I'll check out of this conversation, I'm not interested in an argument.
Obviously you are cause you wont shut up and get back on topic. Agian I have a brain too and dont need some one to tell me not to stick my fingers in a damn blade that would chop them off god how stupid can one be?

Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seem to have missed the part in the first post that didn't mention fuel. Sorry. I guess I would try to go somewhere where I could compare against someone elses engine that runs, then.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
andrewtexas123

ORIGINAL: bingo field

I seem to have missed the part in the first post that didn't mention fuel. Sorry. I guess I would try to go somewhere where I could compare against someone elses engine that runs, then.
Its cool... Wait you mentioned hydro lock is that similar to flooding? Sounds like it!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should find someplace else to spout off.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This has gone on long enough. I'm locking this thread here. Nobody is here to make fun of anybody. The people with experience that offer their advice do so because they are trying to help others get started in the hobby which they love so much. The advice they give isn't done so to put anybody down, but rather to help them get going. If a question is asked, then you argue when somebody answers your question it's obvious that we no longer need to leave this thread open.

Thread locked.

Ken