Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ed New Here

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ed New Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Apothekary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ed New Here

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here on the board and brand new to RC flying. I just thought I would post a few basic questions to get me started up with flying RC.

1. What would be the best RC plane to start out with for around $200?

2. How much does the simulator software help beginners learn to fly?

3. What are the additional components needed when buying a ARF kit?

4. Which is better, a gas engine or electric engine?

Thanks for any help regarding these!

-Aaron
Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ed New Here

Welcome to RCUniverse

I would strongly recommend the simulator like Real Flight

Get with people that already know how to fly to help you. Join a club. Do not try it alone.

The buddy box is the only way to go in actual in flight training. This takes a plane that can use a standard type transmitter

With ARF's you typically need the radio system and engine or motor/batteries. You will also need support equipment like battery chargers for electrics and glow ignitors/fuel for the glow engines and battery volt meters

Glow or electric according to your preference. I sold all my electric stuff and only use the glow engines.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
w8ye

Find a model club near you here

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
carrellh

Welcome to the insanity...

1. The HobbyZone Super Cub is a ready to fly electric model that fits the budget. It is highly recommended by many on RCU as a good way to start on a budget. It is available at hobby shops or online from http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

2. Simulators help figure out what the controls do, and they help, but they do not truly teach you to fly.

3. It varies from one model to the next. Some are more complete than others.

4. Gasoline engines are heavy, expensive, and typically are not recommended for beginners. Engines that run on glow fuel (some like to call it nitro), and Electric motors, are typically what you will see on beginner and intermediate models. One is not 'better' than the other, they are just different and everyone has a preference.

What area are you in? Put your zip code in at http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx and see if there are any RC clubs in your area. Practically all clubs have instructors who will teach you to fly and there is no charge except the cost of club membership. You do not have to have an instructor or join a club. It does make it easier though if you have help, and you'll make friends with people who love model airplanes.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Apothekary
1. What would be the best RC plane to start out with for around $200?
That depends. Are you looking for a complete, "turn-key" plane that is read yo fly? If so, the Super Cub that carrellh recommended is a great value. If you mean just an airplane that you have to add additional items to (i.e. engine and radio) then there are a lot of options. Some examples are here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=ACB

2. How much does the simulator software help beginners learn to fly?
I'm not necessarily and experienced flight instructor, not even close but but I do have an opinion on simulators. I see a lot of people building a lot of false confidence with them. They are really good at teaching basic airplane control ,especially control sensitivity, but they are still only a simulation on a PC screen. I say get one if you want but don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking it can be a substitute for actual flight.

3. What are the additional components needed when buying a ARF kit?
This will vary but most quality ARF's need only an engine, radio gear (receiver, servos, battery, etc.), some fuel line, adhesives and possibly other miscellaneous small items. Building an electric powered ARF is pretty much the same except you wil need the electric motor, speed controller, battery(s) and charger.

4. Which is better, a gas engine or electric engine?
Good question and in my opinion neither one is necessarily better, just different. Which is better in a particular situation depends on the person and the plane.

I assume by gas you mean the typical fuel burning engines with a glow plug. These are commonly refered to as "glow engines". A good one is reliable and a pleasure to operate. If you are not mechanically inclined however and scared of touching screws on a carburetor, they could be intimidating. If you like engines though, you'll love it.

Some people say electric is easier to operate. This is true I suppose but batteries are expensive and you have to wait for them to charge even with the best charger. I personally prefer to fuel up and fly again as soon as I want. For small models though, I think electric works great. I just don't like it on my larger planes. Regardless, that's just a personal preference. Figure out what YOU like and have fun with it.

You may also want to take a look at this site: www.gettingairborne.com.

Don't forget to check out the AMA link in the previous post and hook up with a local club. You'll be glad you did.

Also be very careful... before you know it you'll have a garage full of airplanes and a really really bad flying addiction.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Apothekary

Thanks a lot for the great responses! I'm sure after digging through some of the links ya'll provided I will be on top of things. BTW, a little about myself: I'm currently a sophmore at McMurry University in Abilene, TX. I love everything about aircraft and flying and I'm currently a marine officer candidate hoping to become a Marine aviator when I graduate. I'm majoring in physics and have a senior project to prepare for, I'm hoping to build and fly some kind of turbo-jet RC aircraft for this project, but I'm limited on the budget side. Anyways, I decided I would start looking into flying RC now so that I will be able to fly whatever I build in two years...

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 PM
w8ye

Be saving your money for the turbine
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate to break the news, but to really make a go of the sport you should buy at least a 4 channel radio (a modest 6 channel computer radio would be better), a .40-.45 engine, and one of the trainers on the list. With a can of fuel and pump, a spare prop or two, you are ready to go. Expect to do this for $300-$350. Club membership and AMA will usually add another $100.

Anything less is too toy-like if you are really serious.

Or just go to the local club and talk to the guys. Poor college students usually can get some stick time on a club airplane. Often used trainers with radio and engines can be found for not too much money.

Study hard. Military aviation has their pick of the best and they really like engineers and science majors.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You might rethink your budget situation too. The cheapest RC jet you can get is going to cost $5000. Add another 2000-3000 to that if you want it to look and fly like a scale warplane. To get there, you'll need to work through 3-4 regular RC planes to build the flying skills and burn lots of fuel in the process. Then you have to get a turbine waiver to be able to operate a jet legally.
Not saying all of this to discourage you. It's just important to know how big a project it is to go from beginner pilot to flying RC jets is.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Apothekary

I completely understand the concerns, and appreciate them. I will be saving money like crazy, however I hope to build my turbine from scratch which might help which the cost a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I know to pull this off its going to cost me thousands.

Here is something I'm curious about... The RTF EDF jet planes from places like banana hobby and nitroplanes.com, are they any good to fly?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
apwachholz

Apothekary -

I'm going to plug my site here: [link=http://www.controlchat.com]Control Chat: For the new and aspiring rc airplane hobbyist[/link] Check it out. If it helps, awesome. If not, drop me a line and tell me what I need to do differently. The site, after all, is dedicated to people like you (and my girlfriend who's only 3 months into this - she's a pilot and loves rc airplanes).

Ok, now that's done. Here's my two cents per your above post:

Unless you have solid intermediate experience with rc airplanes I highly recommend staying away from the 'jet style' fliers. Without going into the details, most of them are very complicated little birds to control if you are not quick on the sticks (i.e. experienced with flying rc). While a lot of them are great fliers, they are for the experienced pilot. Just because they might be foam doesn't mean it's indestructible or that a beginner can fly it. Most of my thoughts about your questions are actual articles on my site so I'll spare you the lecture here. Just keep this in mind

Fly rc with your skills set in mind. All of the experienced pilots, at one time as well, had eyes bigger then their thumbs could control when they started. You need to take it slow & take your time. It'll be a solid 2-3 months before you'll be able to confidently fly solo and be comfortable. Then, you'll be as addicted as the rest of us. DOH!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Apothekary

I'll be sure to check out your link apwachholz! Thanks for the info as well. I think I agree with you there. I have been looking around some this morning for some possible things I might look into buying. I will post some links of what I got so far, just have a look and let me know what you all think of my decision.

The first link is that of a t-34 from nitroplanes.com which comes complete except that it does not come with the transmitter or reciever (I figure it would be better to spend a little extra money on a good transmitter and reciever rather than buying a RTF kit that comes with a crappy transmitter and reciever). This plane looks like a decent intro plane, perhaps a little more towards the intermediate side but maybe not too much.

[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/arf-t34-mentor.html]T-34[/link]

This next link is that of a transmitter I found. It looks like it would be a decent transmitter that I could use for a long time, yet still good for a beginner.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190258346771&refid=store]Hitec Transmitter[/link]

Now what do I need as far as a reciever goes? Anything else I will need to buy? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That T-34 is not a good starter and I'm a little suspect of the general quality although I have not seen it up close. Generally, first airplanes are of the high wing variety with light wing loading and good wing dihedral. This allows them to fly at lower speeds and tend to stay upright easier, even self correcting back to near level in some cases.

RCKens list of trainers at the top of the beginners forum is a good one if you want a traditional glow powered airplane (these can be made electric too). This is the type of airplane I would personally recommend.

Still, if you want a simple, RTF electric, the Parkzone Super cub is a good choice. Yes it is 3-channel but it will teach you basics of controls and flight. Plus it comes from a reputable manufacturer with good support and you can buy replacement parts if you crash it. Another option might be the E-Flite Apprentice if you want 4-channels but would rather stay with RTF electrics.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
opjose

There are T-34's and there are T-34 TRAINERS.

The plane posted in the Link is NOT a "trainer" nor does it provide the same characteristics to the ones specifically designed as trainers.

Unfortunately people often confuse the trainers with the other models...

THIS is a "TRAINER" : [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL4800]Click me T-34 Trainer[/link]

While this, though a somewhat "gentle" flyer is not: [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4400]Not a T-34 Trainer.[/link]

The T-34 "Mentor" above has full aileron controls and could deal with light winds.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
apwachholz

Apothekary -

Woah. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...It's kinda hard to keep track of these post from time to time. Ok, here are my thoughts on your Qs:

T-34
Overall, a great aircraft. Personally the one you linked to isn't the hottest model. Never flown it but I can say I've flow and loved my [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4325]Hangar 9 T-34 Mentor[/link]. However, as a first time model, unless you have someone training you in on it, I would not try that solo. Not a good idea.

ChuckW's got it right with the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HBZ7100]Hobbyzone Super Cub[/link] and the Apprentice from E-flight. They are solid 'self-learning' models. If you want to get a good radio (digital too!) think of going with an RTF kit from Horizon Hobby. I'm not going to say they rock the world, but HH has some great kits with all the goodies for a solid price. Here's a list of one's I recommend (and have bought/flown):

1) [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4400]Alpha 40 Trainer[/link]
2) [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4425]P-51 Mustang PTS[/link]

Now, they're glow and they're expensive(er) then your initial cost. However, you get it all. And best of all, the entire components of each can be plopped into another aircraft once you've outgrown the training phase. If you're into electrics, think of going with what ChuckW mentioned, the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2725]Apprentice 15e from E-flight.[/link] I'm not knocking the radio you're looking at, it's good and will work. But the more and more I've looked around and the more and more I've seen pricing, HH does a good job for an "All Inclusive" kit and for a reasonable price. If you have someone to train with, you might think of the kit that opjose mentioned - that T-34 electric is a nice kit to grow with. HOWEVER, don't go learning on your own with that bird or you'll end up with an expensive pile of sticks.

Whatdya thinking Apothekary??
Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
smokeyser

ORIGINAL: Apothekary

I completely understand the concerns, and appreciate them. I will be saving money like crazy, however I hope to build my turbine from scratch which might help which the cost a little bit.
I've never built a jet so it might be different with those. But with most planes, building from scratch is actually a lot more expensive. I know it seems like doing all the work yourself will save money, but it tends to be the opposite in this hobby. This is good news if you don't like building though. As you do research for your senior project, be sure to check both raw material costs and the cost of a prebuilt airframe. If building the thing isn't an important part of the project, you might be able to save a bit with an ARF setup.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Witterings

If you can I'd join a club and get an instructor to help you, it'll make if far less expensive to learn and opens the door to a far wider variety of planes to start with.

If however that's not possible for whatever reason firstly I'd get a Simulator (would do this even if I did join a club) even if it's the cheap E-Sky one as it will massively help with orientation especially when the planes coming towards you and get as much time on it as possible.

2 of the best self taught electrics are either the Super Cub or the Multiplex EasyStar but you tend to outgrow them fairly quickly as you want to move onto aileron control.

The other possible but you'd wants lots and lots of Sim time first is the Multiplex MiniMag, it's designed so it can be set up to fly 3 channel to start with and then easily converts to 4 channels / ailerons as you get more exerience but carries a slightly higher risk from the start as the other 2 are better 1st planes and personally I had the MiniMag as a brilliant second plane after the SuperCub.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Witterings
...2 of the best self taught electrics are either the Super Cub or the Multiplex EasyStar but you tend to outgrow them fairly quickly as you want to move onto aileron control...
The Super Cub and EasyStar both have a very good reputation as easy to fly planes and there is nothing wrong with learning to fly on rudder/elevator (that is what I learned to fly on). But tiring of them depends on the pilot and their attitude. I still enjoy taking a 2- or 3-channel plane out to the field and to some lazy, relaxing flying just for the heck of it just as much as I like to fly pattern or practice Quickie pylon. I've never tired of rudder/elevator flight and treat it as another aspect of RC flight to be enjoyed (3-channel aerobatics is a real challenge to fly too that many pilots don't have the skill to do). For me, I'll enjoy flying planes just because they fly, regardless of what they are.

Another option seldom mention is a powered glider if you absolutely have to teach yourself to fly. They are very gentle giving you a lot of time to react and learn what the plane is doing. This will give you the basics on flying and allow you to step up to a faster plane with out a lot of problem.

Hogflyer
Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
w8ye

Back in the 50's it was rudder only. The plane was a somewhat controllable free flight.

The plane was launched and you controlled it. We were all self taught.

There was only only one channel/frequency 27.255 Mega Cycles (This was before they invented MHZ) People flew one plane at a time

Life must have been simple then? I built the transmitter and receiver from a ACE kit, used a Sterling airplane kit covered with silk and painted with dope, and Fox 15 engine.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
cpsdd56

I havent seen anybody mention the Nexstar RTF from Hobbico, Probably the best entry level trainer that could be had. It includes a simulator and with wing extensions and air brakes installed is probably the most forgiving and easy to learn on trainer on the market. I speak from experiance, I was taking off and landing on my own after only a couple of sessions with a buddy box. Once the training gear is taken off its a pretty brisk flier able to do mild aerobatics. making my first experiences very satisfying. I have advanced into other planes now but still like to take out the Nexstar and buzz around a little.
Tower Hobby has the complete setup listed at $399 not including their christmas sale.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Apothekary, you have set a very ambitous goal, if you are serious about being able to fly a turbine plane within a couple years. If your are very serious about doing this, $200 is not going to help you get very far. If you are serious and you really plan to progress that quickly, you are going to have to be a lot more aggressive than the average begginer. This means you need to fly something every minute you have a chance as well as get some help from someone more experienced. My advice for the next year would be to do all of the following immediately.
1. Buy a simulator to help learn and practice, especially when you can't get outside.
2. Buy a Super Cub as its the only plane under $200 that will likely survive your learning curve and is about the cheapest to repair. Tape and glue will fix almost anything that breaks on it.
3. Find a club or experienced Rc pilot to help you and buy a Hobbico Avistar and a trainer box.
You don't have any time to waste, after you get experienced with the Avistar, you will probably get plenty of advice on the next plane you should fly!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 PM
rlipsett

If you are in the least bit serious about having a turbine aircraft you aare going to need a computer radio to begin with and this alone will decimate your 200 dollar mark. the advantages to having this type of radio is that you will not be buying another radio that you will outgrow rapidly. computer radios can be programmed to run several different planes with there unique trim and servo settings. buy a radio in the 9 or 10 channel range for extreme advanced aircraft.