Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:55 AM
ccs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

thanks i belong to a very small club in a small town with a really antique hobby shop so ive learned the hard way on planes and sig planes have never ever failed me and i power most of my planes now with saitos ive learned in this hobby that a sig plane with a saito motor and your going to enjoy things alot more and so i dont get the opertunity to help guys out much for that reason so when i was cruising around as usual and saw this discussion i couldnt resist my rascal 40 ive flown for about 5 years now that poor plane has been through it with me learning stuff with it and it shows it but i fly it and my 4 star 60 all the time ive flown my 4 star now going on its 3 season with me it still looks new lol my rascal is the plane i drag out to try new things with ......
Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I must love Saitos for I have 22 of them. I have a couple Four Stars also
Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
ccs

wow i thought i was addicted to them i have saitos on 5 of my 8 planes and not a one has ever given me a fit and i know the saito 56 i have on my kadet senior has some serious flying time on it and its still going strong and the easiest starting motor i own lol.....well anyway like i said earlier post you cant really ever go wrong with a sig plane or a saito motor ive flown great planes planes and tower hobbies planes and they just dont perform like sig ive recently bought a couple of kange planes and ive been seriously impressed with them so far id almost put them on the same pedistal as i do sig..........but for a second plane man a 4 star is really hard to beat
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Kankge Cap 60 size 232.The tapered wing job.I`ve flown the plane a couple of times but I can`t stand it knowing I have over a pound and a half of weight up front to balance this plane.Is there any other way to get away from the horrible amount of lead up front.I had a OS 1.08 on this plane.I even went as far as making a 2" hardwood block to mount the engine more forward .It still takes 1/2 pound of lead in front to balance and thats with the battery mounted on the motor mount! Is my plane just a weirdball or is this reflective of all these Kangke Caps?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pangi,

At 20 - 25 flights after solo on a trainer you've just started scratching the surface of flying, so I don't think you've really mastered the trainer. While it's nice to want to move up to a higher performance plane, you need to really learn to master your trainer. Get another 25 flights on it, then start increasing the control throws and slowly move the CG backwards to give it better handling. I've taken trainers out and flown pattern sequences while pushing the plane to its aerodynamic limits and really surprised some very experienced flyers with a trainer's true capability. One problem with flyers today it they rush and try to move up to another plane too soon. Just take your time and put a lot of flight time on the trainer and really learn how to fly it. Once you can do a lot of more advanced maneuvers on a trainer, you'll really enjoy moving up to a more advanced plane which will fly a lot smoother, but spending the time on the trainer will make you a better pilot in the long run.

As your building flight time on your trainer, spend the time to study what's available, read reviews and what people in the forums say, then make a decision.

Hogflyer
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
cap10b

Panji,
The second plane after learning to fly is always a big jump. If you plan to go scale warbird the others that suggest you need more stick time are correct. Here is my recomendations for graduating to warbird.

1. Learn to fly and do touch and go's, dead stick landings loops, rolls and unusual recovery from both ends of the runway.
2. Get a low wing WM Emeraude or GP Super Sportster or CG Tiger any heshey bar low wing plane.
3. Learn to do all of step one from both ends of the run way windy, cloudy, sun in your face till it becomes easy and natural.
4. The one thing about WWII warbirds is learning to use flaps, how much to use when to use what to do what not to do.
5. My warbird trainer was a Yellow AC Cap10b, VQ makes a really nice 77" Cap10b thats pretty good on a Zehoah 26EI or glow.
You can sub the Cap10b with the Hgr 9 trainer mustang or PT 19 of the same size. Anything thats true low wing and has some area will do.

The Cap10b has flaps, is a true low wing and flys good and lands very good with flaps and good without flaps. This plane exhibits the same characteristics of warbirds but at a more moderate dose. The one thing you have to learn to do with a warbird is to learn how to drive the plane down the runway and not vear off the center line. That easy on a high wing trainer but on a warbird with a powerfull motor its not. Also you need something that has a bit of wing loading like the Cap10b to give you that sense of unstableness that a warbird has with out actually punishing you for any mistakes you make. Like getting too slow on landing.

There are many different approaches to getting to scale mine is just one way. all this depends on flying skill $$ and time invested and the desire to fly.

Enjoy and good luck

jds
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry people somehow I got my threads mixed up.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 PM
forestroke

I'm sure by now he has found a second plane! Can you tell us what you decided and your experience?

BTW, as important as the type of plane is the ARF manufacturer, which includes the guy who puts it together :-) A well made plane will automatically be much easier to fly. Having the right CG, an experienced pilot trim the plane can take much of the "risks" of moving up. Regardless what happens, I recommend that you give your plane (as hard as it is to trust someone with your baby) to someone experienced for the first flight.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
pangi
My Feedback: (33)

I really appreciate everyone's input. I did end up buying the Four Star Forty and promptly stuck it into the field in a nose dive when coming around for the last turn. I turned to steeply, panicked, and gave it up elevator which sent it into a spinning nose dive. I had taken an old Goldberg Skylark 56 Mark II up about five times without incident when I decided on seeking the best "second" plane which led to my thread. I am beginning to believe that maybe I should fly my trainer about 25 times more (as someone has mentioned), so that moving up is not as challenging. I am in no rush, and don't mind building or fixing, as that is what go me into this hobby to begin with. I really just wanted another plane to practice on.
I also ended up getting a Tower Hobbies Kaos for Xmas which I just started building, as I fix the Four Star as well. Any other comments would be welcomed.
By the way, what is a heshey bar which another flyer mentioned?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM
cap10b

Panji,
It was me that mentioned a Hershey bar wing. You've seen a Hershey's chocolate candy bar. Straight equal distance the length, with a flat bottom underside. Well applied to model RC it means a constant cord wing (one that is the same width at the root or fuselage as it is at the tip) This type of wing gives good lift and slow speed performance. The GP Sportster, WM Emeraude, and CG Tiger all have this type of wing. For your first low wing it gives good flight capabilities (Fly's fast and does aerobatics) and allows for low wing experience. (You can crab into the wind on cross wind landings and slip the plane in to land) This will get you used to flying with all the flight controls especially the rudder because on a war bird you will use the rudder quit a bit on landing and take off.

From your earlier post it looks like you've made a wise decision to get more air time under your belt. I've been flying 30%, 33%, 35% and now 40% Aerobatics, wood and composite and no matter how much I have invested in the big iron, I still enjoy very much doing touch and goes with a Sig Kadet. In fact I have a 96" Graupner Taxi 2400 coming up that I plan to trick out with lights and do touch and goes in the evening just for the fun of it.

Hey we all have our little quirks !

jds
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Pangi

Glad to head you are into building and repair, and of course in to flying, as I am an OLD geezer the best advice I have seen in your thread is practice, practice, practice, and like another said do a lot of tuch/goes and full stop landings. I know doing circuits around your field are boring but do them in both directions and with varying distance between the straight lines, it is a good plan to do one aerobatic item in each straight line and lear to come out on the same heading line. As you advance learn to do coordinated turns, as when you go to a warbird you can't bank and crank you have to fly them as NO warbird is a hands off flier.

One other thing if you like your trainer build another wing with NO dihedral this will also give you a second plane as they will not fly the same/similar, but not the same, and on this one move the C/G back 1/4 inch at a time and learn how to fly it (practice, practice, practice) at some point with the C/G back you will no when to quit.

That is my take on what I have read hear.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM
MudbugnTX

Originally Posted by pangi
I really appreciate everyone's input. I did end up buying the Four Star Forty and promptly stuck it into the field in a nose dive when coming around for the last turn. I turned to steeply, panicked, and gave it up elevator which sent it into a spinning nose dive. I had taken an old Goldberg Skylark 56 Mark II up about five times without incident when I decided on seeking the best "second" plane which led to my thread. I am beginning to believe that maybe I should fly my trainer about 25 times more (as someone has mentioned), so that moving up is not as challenging. I am in no rush, and don't mind building or fixing, as that is what go me into this hobby to begin with. I really just wanted another plane to practice on.
I also ended up getting a Tower Hobbies Kaos for Xmas which I just started building, as I fix the Four Star as well. Any other comments would be welcomed.
By the way, what is a heshey bar which another flyer mentioned?
Pangi, glad you are not getting discouraged. This is all part of learning to fly RC. Without crashing you never learn how to correct mistakes. When you are ready to go low wing and bigger, I would choose the sig 4star .60. http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC73ARFR.html
Old 01-24-2015, 04:02 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Pangi crashed his plane in 2009.

I am not sure if it is the case here but we are having problems with a rash of spam bots.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll enjoy the Kaos. When set up properly, it will just do what you tell it and nothing more. Once you're comfortable with it, go ahead and print out the SPA novice and sportsman pattern schedules and start learning the maneuvers with it. Even if you don't plan to compete, the discipline of learning pattern will make you a better pilot in every aspect of RC.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
billgiacomo615
My Feedback: (111)

dead beat don't make offers unless you pay the seller
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Fs one

A good second plane is a Super Sportster good flyer .40 size.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
jester_s1

A couple of things you should know about being on RCU.

1. Don't hijack other threads by asking a different question than the one that started it. It makes it harder for people to follow the conversation as it's going on and to find good information when the thread is archived.

2. Use the search feature. The topic of second airplanes has been discussed a whole lot before, and you'll learn more by reading through the threads than by asking the question again.

That said, welcome to RCU and to the hobby.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
billgiacomo615

Ya ya ya you seem to be jacked out of shape over nothing
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM
jester_s1

billgiacomo615
- You have 19 posts on RCU, and about half of them are personal attacks at other forum members. I'm always a fan of new participants coming online to get into the discussions, but you might consider showing a bit more respect if you want to receive it from others too.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM
billgiacomo615

da da da