Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
pangi
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

I was looking for a good low wing second plane, now that I have mastered the trainer! Any ideas or thoughts? Anyone?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
pangi

Default RE: Cap 232 a good beginner low wing?

Is this a good starter for a low wing plane? Any ideas or thoughts, other than the four star forty for a second plane?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Steve Steinbring

IMO- NO the Cap 232 is not a good second airplane. Something like a Tower Kaos 40 would be a good choice for that airplane. Aerobatic, has a wing that is forgiving, and lands like a trainer.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

232 good beginner low wing?

Absolutely not.

Tapered wings naturally stall from outboard. You really do not want that behavior from a trainer, or from 2nd airplane.

One of the best low wingers is the Tiger.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Steve Steinbring

For what is worth I just flew the Kaos 40 in a Senior Aerobatics contest in novice class because it met the SPA contest rules.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
pangi

I thought of the Kaos, and I assume you mean the Goldberg Tiger. I love the war birds and am trying to get there as soon as possible. I just picked up a four star forty and want another plane for more experience. So I guess my other choice, the AT-6 would not be a good choice either huh? Thanks for the input.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
carrellh

Moderator RCKen placed a ‘sticky’ post at the top of the Beginners forum that has a pretty nice list of trainers and second planes. Here is the link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm

Not knowing you, or your skill level, makes it hard for anyone reading RCU to know if you can handle the Cap. In general, none of the scale aerobats are considered good second planes. Assuming you are in a flying club, have you talked to the instructors and experienced pilots about what they think your next step should be?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 PM
jetmech05

absolutly not....any of the 4 Stars...Tigers, or the Pulse, plus what has already been recommended
Good Flyin to ya
Old 11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
pangi

Yes I did see that list, just looking for more options. I just solo'd this year, have about 20-25 flights on a trainer and two on an old Goldberg Skylark Mark II . The club recommends/likes the Four Star. I have not flown the Four Star yet. I just wanted another plane to bring something different to the table, so I can go after those warbirds.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
carrellh

My brother has the old Kyosho 40 size AT-6. The full scale had the reputation of tip-stalling at low speed and the Kyosho model absolutely loves to slam a wingtip into the ground if it gets too slow on approach or if it doesn’t have a lot of speed when taking off.

Fly your new four star for a while. It really will prepare you for the next step which could be a warbird.

I have a Great Planes 40 size Corsair. It is a kit so it takes a while to get it going. I started the kit and my brother finished it. It is far from being a scale model but it does look like a Corsair from a distance. We were afraid of it before the first flight. It does not have bad stall characteristics but it does need to land pretty fast. The Great Planes 40 size P-51 is another kit that is reported to be a sport plane that looks like a warbird. Either of these planes could be a good first warbird before getting into bigger models with a lot of scale details.

You could even look at the rules for RC aerobatics and practice the maneuvers with the four star.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/e...aerobatics.pdf
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/e...aerobatics.pdf
Even if you have no plans to compete you will be putting the plane in lots of situations that you will have to recover from.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

My second plane was to be a Super sportster .40,but as a second build,it wasnt going anywhere fast, so I went with a Hobbico Extra 300 ARF.The old foam skin over formers model.After 2 flights,I was glad I got it.There is something about the mid wing design that just makes them easy to fly.Everyone progress's different,so as mentioned above,your peers should have a good idea of what you are ready for.And remember that scale warbirds behave differently than "sport scale" warbirdsThe sport scale ones have some of the bad traits designed out of them and are often lighter,so if there is a particular plane you are after,you may try a sport version before going to a more scale one.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the past 2 years while building my P-47, I have used and abused my Tiger by making the thing deliberately somewhat nose heavy to get used to landing a warbird. It flies very decently, but lands fast due to the weight forward. I have the throws nearly maxed out on the ailerons, and have been using the exponential to get the smooth input I have been looking for. As I adjusted the elevator throw more and more, I got to the point where it started doing funny things if I forced full up elevator at speed. I increased the rudder some, and have been using that and a lot of throttle to figure out how to knife edge flight. What I am trying to get at, is that there is more to many of these models than just flying them around, you can experiment with the flight controls and see what works, or like I did, just started making the thing nose heavy, and practice take offs and landings. I built mine as a taildragger from the start, so I got a lot of experience in ground handling. Hope you figure out what you are looking for.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not the best of ideas and there are A lot of better choices but you buy what you like!! My youngest student just took out his third plane for maiden today, A Nitroplanes 90 size {only A 60 really} Extra 330 with A Saito 100 for power. I flew the maiden and thought the plane was outstanding, for him it isn't A very good choice. It tends to get away from him and it doesn't land at all like his 4* 60. Go figure???
Maybe there is A reason for the club liking the 4*s, Super Sportsters, Mid Stars and Tiger types for A second plane. There are A lot of other choices too.
My thinking is to buy what you like and live with it, if you are ahead of the learning curve then go ahead and get the Snap, I mean Cap and fly the wings right off of it then get that War Bird any time you feel ready for it. [8D]
It's your money, why listen to anyone else about spending it, Get the CAP!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Steve Steinbring

Pangi,

Its not a Goldberg but a Tower Hobbies ARF.

I too am an instructor and have different thoughts about second airplanes than Gray Beard. IMO it would be better to get a little wider range of flying experience before taking on a warbird or scale acro ship. You can push the Kaos 40 around quite a bit it does pretty good acro for what it is. My airplane is a little weak on doing knife edges and stall turns(could be the pilot[&o]). Believe me theres a lot to be learned from a older stable pattern design airplane. The Kaos 40 from Tower is just $119.00 before any discounts to its an affordable second step trainer. I have a OS.46 AX as the power plant giving the bird all kinds of performance and almost unlimited vertical.

Good luck on your quest.

Steve
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If warbirds are your passion and you're truly ready for a second plane, consider the Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang PTS. Its billed as a trainer, but its much better as a second plane.

Brad
Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 AM
NorfolkSouthern

go ahead and get the Snap, I mean Cap and fly the wings right off of itthen get that War Bird any time you feel ready for it.

It's your money, why listen to anyone else about spending it, Get the CAP!!!!
Correction: the SNAP!!!

You can really learn the fine art of airframe restoration, fabrication, and repair with that one.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No kidding!! It happens so fast you don't have time to yell though!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

RC CAPs vary greately in their flight habits. I have have/had the following:

Greapt Planes Cap-231EX, warped wing right from the box. Would snap on you just because. Loved flying it, just took a while to get to know it.

SIG Cap-231EX, absolutely a wonderful plane! Had a ST 2500 and was everything the GP Cap was not. Would by another in a heartbeat. Would slow down and drag the tail wheel before the mains on landing

Hangar 9 Cap-232 another very good flyer with a Saito 150 and better with a 180.

Now as a second plane........NOT! Had the pleasure of watching just this scenario. SIG Cap-231EX w/Saito 180 for power. Second flight he slammed it on the deck, continued to fly it and promptly ripped the wing from the fues. Motor ran full bore into the ground. Guy was stupid and wouldn't listen to anyone. What a waste of a $1000.

Tigers, 4 Stars and most any other low wing trike gear planes are good second planes. There are some newer AT-6 ARF's out there. My Midwest AT-6 would not be hard to fly as a second plane if you're ok with a taildragger.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Stuntpilot51

I've been flying for 22 years and consider myself pretty good, test flew a Cap for a newbie at the field, it was all I could do to get it back on the ground in one piece. Just looking at it funny would make it snap.

I would never even consider buying one. SNAP is'nt even the word for that plane, more like CRAP!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
forestroke

another choice could be the World Models T-34 Mentor. Now, it is like squint scale but at least it's got a warbird name. :-) great flying plane and not a bad choice for a second plane.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Caps are short coupled aircraft and VERY sensative to elavator input and CG placement. I have also flown the World Models older 1.20 size Cap and Kangke 60-90 size as well. Both of these flew awesome. The GP Cap had a very narrow chord vs span. The others have a much wider chord vs span and flew much better. Kangke did have a 60-90 size Cap Sport. Had a Cap fuse with a straight wing (no taper). This would actually be an ok choice for a second plane providing you could find one and are ok with a taildragger. I do also have 2 72" Cermark Cap 21's. Haven't flown them yet. This may just push me to complete one of them, right behind about 6 other planes!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 AM
forestroke

actually, my second plane was a world models cap232. i went from china trainer to cap232 but i was very mindful that it was too much plane for me. it lasted a whole season and finally lost it when i plugged in my ailerons wrongly and took off into a tree. all in all, the cap wasn't too much for me. but i really attribute the ability to fly to the inability for the trainer to fly.

the china trainer i had had such warped wings that when i maidened it, i didn't have enough trim to correct the roll. it took me two flights to get enough trim in to keep it level. flying different speeds changed the way the plane behaved, trimming it for half throttle flight, the plane would roll as i bled off speed for landing. for all that trouble, i gained a great deal of experience. basically i needed to fly my plane 100% of the time.

i retired my trainer and later bashed it into a canard. the cap was my foray into real ARFs. my first plane was so bad, when it dove into the ground on its maiden as a bashed canard pusher, i was happy to see it go. i dubbed it "the hammer" because i needed a hammer head glued and strapped to the nose to balance it. of course, that was still not enough... fun though...
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a trike as a second plane, you can`t do any better than a WM T-34. Get the red and white version and order some Hangar 9 T-34 decals and you`ve got one snazzy looking bird!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 AM
ccs

well this is my first post on here sorry couldnt resist this conversation if you look at my profile youll see i have a verity of planes if your looking for a good second plane to fly you have a couple of choices i would recommend any of the 4 stars or a rascal 40 all made by sig i have a cap 232 plane and its so not a good second plane i have flown for a few years and consider myself a fair pilot and the cap is not a good second plane although i love my cap and would love it more if i can figure out a different way to control the elevators

far as a second plane try any of the 4 stars really super nice planes i love my 4 star 60 it flys really stable and still lands really slow like a trainer and yet is fairly aerobatic and same goes for my rascal 40 but with the rascal it tends to not want to land its alot more like a trainer the plane will float forever but is also fairly aerobatic and is really forgiving to mistake i would highly recommend either one of those planes they are a very good planes but in my opinion sig has nothing but the best ive never ever had a bad sig plane ever everyone ive bought has been good flyiers and straight and if i have a problem with anything with one i call sig and they send out whats deffective no questions asked very super nice people
Old 11-28-2008, 01:46 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CCS Welcome to RCUniverse

Good advice on the Sig planes

The Four Star Kits are the easiest kits to build ever. And then there are the ARFs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.