Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Four Stroke!!! OS or SAITO????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Four Stroke!!! OS or SAITO????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 02:24 AM
CincyQuake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Stroke!!! OS or SAITO????

OS or Saito and why??

Which is the best choice?
Old 06-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike Buckley

No question, Saito... light weight, incredible power to weight ratio, reliable, rugged, and good looking!
Old 06-01-2003, 11:54 AM
av8er50
My Feedback: (6)

Try a Magnum 4 stroke and I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Less expensive, plenty of power, and all of mine have run great out of the box.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2003, 12:37 PM
arukum17

OS hands down!
Lots of people use it so great support network
Also this is most kit manufacturers "recommended" brand
Old 06-01-2003, 01:12 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have both OS and Saito and 1 Magnum. OS is a good running and very reliable engine but I think the Saito gives you a bit more HP than the OS. I have one Magnum and it will be my last, it proves the theory that you get what you pay for.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:31 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

i have had OS then saitos and one day i bought a new YS .....most of my planes have YS now. can't beat a pressurized tank and the power of a YS engine.....IMHO of course
Old 06-01-2003, 05:23 PM
CincyQuake

OS or SAITO people.. Can't we stay on subject?

No off the wall brands..
Old 06-01-2003, 05:52 PM
donhamp

Off the wall brand??? lol YS is the ONLY brand. Their .63 puts out more thrust that the .91 of any other brand and it weighs 14oz's less. But to answer your question, Saito would get my vote out of the two. but you might wanna consider that "Y" in the tunnel you're looking down!
Old 06-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Dazzler_BE

All my 4 strokes are Saito's (one LA65, one LA72 and two LA80) never had a problem, they are all great engines...

My 2 strokes on the other hand are all OS....

Anyway, the Saito's are a bit cheaper than the OS anyway, and without having any problems, I'll stick to them !
Old 06-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Lowlevldevl
My Feedback: (1)

It's just like anything else in this hobby: a personal preference. O.S., Saito, etc. ALL of them have their good points and bad points, pros and cons, however you want to put it. I have read all the horror stories about the Saito engines. I have two of them, and I run them pretty hard. Guess what? I havent had a single problem other than during break in (tuning). This is the same type of question you get into when you ask someone whether you should buy a JR or Futaba radio. Some will recommend a product based strictly on brand loyalty. Some will actually give you the info you are looking for. In the end, it all boils down to what you prefer. I prefer Saito, based on my personal experience. they are lighter, and I dont think the very small power difference is noticable to anyone other than maybe the aerobatics guys or racers. When it is all said and done, I dont think you could go wrong with the Saito or O.S. either one. It is all in your personal preference and what is going to work best in YOUR plane. I would probably stay away from the off brands like the Magnum. Allthough I havent had experience with them personally, I would rather spend a few extra dollars for better quality. Just my two cents worth!!
Old 06-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Lowlevldevl, Between my flying buddies and myself we have OS saito YS and Magnum and none of them have given us a problem yet, The Saito is the best looking in a plane you can see it and performs closely with the saito, Our Magnums start easy and run great and are cheaper than the rest BUT are a little lesser on the power and our YS engines are in a class of there own with power and performance but it's supercharged but on some planes a YS would be a bad idea, Would not put one on a elder or fokker, it's a performance engine and should be on a sort of a performance plane. Back to the OS or Saito question, It will be a preference and are close in performance, In one size I would go OS in another it would be saito Saito 72 is lighter and out-powers the OS. pick a size first and then ask which of the two would be better, Generalizing will be difficult to choose.

Dauntae
Old 06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Default Toss a coin!

I have both and you can't go wrong with either. I would decide based on size and weight requirements. The O.S.'s tend to be a little larger and heavier than the Saitos. If you need more weight in the nose bolt on the O.S. If your plane tends to balance nose heavy bolt on a Saito. You'll be happy with either one. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Jesse-RCU

buddy if they made an Os big enough for my truck i would buy it. i have had saitos and i know people who have saitos. their planes sits on the the work bench being worked on while im up there flying. you want peac of mind, go with OS.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Lowlevldevl

Man, If your friends that fly Saitos spend that much time on the workbench, it is because they dont know how to tune a Saito. they are no more unreliable than any other 4 stroke out there. You just have to be able to follow directions and learn to tune them. I had problems getting mine to run right when I first got them, but after I learned the ins and outs of what they like, I've had NO problems at all. You cant blame poor tuning skills on the engine!
Old 06-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Jesse-RCU

that is exactly what im talking about. you can either twist and turn the needle valve on the saito all day long or tune an Os engine one time and one time only no matter if it is 120 degrees outside or freezing cold. it has nothing to do with skills.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Lowlevldevl

I have never had to mess with the needles on my Saitos after I got them broke in and tuned, not once. I wold venture to guess that there are many OS engines out there that get just as much tinkering done on them constantly as the Saitos that your friends seem to have so much trouble with. IF your friends would take the time to "Learn" how to tune a Saito, instead of blaming their problems on the engine itself, their engines would run just fine. I have a hard time believing that you just pulled your little OS out of the box, tweaked the needle once, and it has run flawlessly ever since. Each to his own I guess, which was the jest of my first post. It all boils down to personal opinion and preference. I would put my Saitos up against your OS any day of the week as far as reliability goes. True, you may have a slight, and I do stress the word "SLIGHT" power advantage, but I dont really care. I am not into racing or three D stuff, or setting still hovering all day. The Saitos are perfect for my style of flying, and my aircraft, and I have no problems at all with them. It is all personal preference as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Jesse-RCU

you are right about personal preference. so good luck and fly safe.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Next... pick-ups. Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Saito for sure ! ! ! ! !
Old 06-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Montague

Next... pick-ups. Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
I'm looking at a Toyota myself

Back on topic (sort of), it really seems these years that there are a lot of quality engines out there. Back a few years, the difference between an OS and a Thunder Tiger or other such brand was HUGE, these days they all use CNC processes to make the engnies, the differences seem a lot smaller. Not that quality control isn't a bit flaky with some engines, it can be.

OS vs Saito, flip a coin.