Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second Plane recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Plane recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Warnberg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Plane recommendation

I have been flying my Hobbico Superstar for about 6 months now and to tell the truth I'm a little bored with it. My wife bought me a Nitro Models Extra 330 and it has been completed with a OS FS-91 Surpass II w/pump. The new plane has been to the field, engine broke in, plane trimmed and it's ready to go but I'm a little nervous to fly it myself. Some of the guys (my instructor being one of them) at the field tell me "You can fly that plane fine, just take your time with it" other's tell me "That's a little too advanced for you yet"

So what do I do? Do I fine a second plane, something in between the trainer and the extra, something like a Ultra Sport 40, or maybe the raptor 40 or do I just fly the extra?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM
speedair

Default RE: Second Plane recommendation

I got a speed air 40 it was a 40 size plane. They say its a trainer but it is a lot faster and more manouverable than the trainer. It will do almost any aerobatic manouver including outside loops
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM
TakingFlight96

I suggest that you use the Extra as a 3rd or 4th plane. For a second plane most people need a low wing with simple aerobatic capabilities. I suggest the Phoenix Dolphin .46, Iam flying that plane right now and I have already completed 4 point rolls, loops, aileron rolls, etc. I recommend you tone things down on that plane for the first several flights, when you get good enough you can kick up the throws and the throttle and it'll just tear up the sky (and your adrenaline really gets pumping too ). I just love to buzz the field with it, just gives ya such a rush.

Heres a link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLGM8&P=ML

TF96
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
HEMICUDA

Low wing trainer like a Sig 4star, TowerHobbies Kaos, or go scale low wing like the Great Planes
Cherokee. I'm leaning to the Cherokee this coming spring myself, You can go glow or electric,
and it's 40 size like the others listed.

Hemicuda
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

I'm with Hemi on this one. I'd go with what people consider a low wing trainer before the 330, like the Sig 4 Star or Goldberg Tiger. 4 Star and Tiger come in Kit and ARF forms. Even though they are considered low wing trainers they are capable of many many things a high wing trainer isn't while maintaining extremely easy to control flying characteristics. The Sig 4 Star is a very easy build, so if you ever wanted to try to build your own, that is an excellent one to start with. Kit Built 4 Stars also come out lighter than the ARF version.

Edit:

If you get a .60 size plane like the 4 Star 60 or Tiger 60 the .91 thumper in your Extra would be great, so you won't have to buy a new engine/servo's unless you just really wanted to. The added benefit is you can get the engine completely broken in by the time your ready for the 330. People always tell you not to put a brand new engine in a plane you care about. Reliabilty go's up dramatically after you get a few gallons on it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you fly the Extra? Possibly, if you kept the control throws low, kept the throttle back and you are very careful in how you fly it but I wouldn't recommend it.

The more likely scenario is that the plane, being very maneuverable, does something you don't expect and it crashes. It has happened to me and a lot of others who jumped up too quickly.

I'd strongly recommend something intermediate such as the 4-Star, GP Rapture, Tiger-2, Pulse-XT or similar. You'll learn a lot and make the experience with the Extra a lot more enjoyable when you finally get there.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
dignlivn

Here's my 2nd plane, I love it btw.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80198.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1086217  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

An extra 300 was my second plane, but it is still a handful unless I take things slowly and concentrate. I got a Skyraider mach 2 as a throwaround plane and it's now my favorite! It is almost impossible to stall, it does everything I want it to do, and it flies in any weather. I flew it in 30-35 mph winds yesterday and had a FREAKING BLAST!

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=16
Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Warnberg

Well I took everyone's advice... I decided to get a little building experience as well so I purchased a GP Rapture, I wanted something that was a taildragger as built without modification, otherwise I think I would have gotten the CG Tiger 2....

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
NorfolkSouthern

You won't regret it when you're done building, Warnberg.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Nice choice on the Rapture kit! It's a great intermediate plane to prepare you for the Extra 330, but it'll be a lot of fun to fly in its own right.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

Well I took everyone's advice...
Cool, you won't regret it. If you have any questions on it, just ask. Several people on here, including myself, have built this plane.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 AM
TZflyer

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

Here's my 2nd plane, I love it btw.

Bob

That was mine too and I still have mine. Good second, third, fourth, whatever plane!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM
ser00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Warnberg,

That was a very smart choice. The thing about flying the 330 is that you have to mentally fly ahead of the plane. You need to know what you want to do before you do it and determine whether your plane is doing it. Also, you need to have enough experience to know what can happen if your plane is not doing what you want it and be able to correct it quick enough. An example of this is one guy at our field that outgrew his trainer and was doing all types of crazy manuevers with it. He and everybody knew it was time for him to move up to a second plane and he got a Venus 40. He flew the plane great but almost lost it on landing by stalling it in the turn before final approach. He knew how to fly but did not have enough experience to realize that the Venus had a higher stall speed than the trainer. He was high enough and recovered, made another pass and greased the landing. You will love the Rapture 40. THere are several build threads here at RCU that I suggest you read to aid you in building the plane. It is a easy plane to build but there are a few building quirks that a person starting out in kit building might not pick up until it is too late anf you have to buy some extra balsa to fix. The build threads catch these quirks fine. You also might not experience them either. I agree with all the planes that people suggested here. My second plane was a 40-size Pulse XT that performs nicely at high and low speed flight.

Happy flying and soft landings!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
manks7477

Sig 4*, get a .60 size and put the .91 engine in it

That is what I have, it is a PERFECT second plane
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 AM
mydartswinger

Good choice. However, if you get the urge to attempt the Extra, get your instructor to hook you up to a buddy box, get it up high, and let you take over. You can get a feel for the Extra, with minimal risk. I learned on a PTS Mustang (low wing trainer/sport plane), and had a Seagull Yak 54 that I had intended to fly as my second airplane. After I had gotten a feel for the Mustang without the training aids on it, and with an OS .55AX (more powerful motor than what comes on it), I had a club instructor hook me up to a buddy box to let me get a feel for the Yak. Let me tell you, I'm glad that he was there. Yaks, Extras, Edges, Sukhois, etc... can be very "snappy" and have some bad tendencies that someone with little experience won't know how to counter (I was in this boat when flying my Yak). I flew it on the box for about 3 flights, then was able to fly it solo (after flying a more advance plane than the Mustang, but not quite as advanced as the Yak). Just because I had a good handle on the plane doesn't mean that I was ready for it. After about the second or third solo flight on the Yak, I went up vertical, then started coming back down. Well, on my Mustang, I was able to "fly it out", but when I tried that on the Yak, it started to snap roll and stall and snap roll some more. I was 4-6 mistakes high (luckily), and started yelling for help. The instructor that had buddy boxed me on it came running, took the Tx, neutralized the controls to allow the airplane to build up airspeed, and saved the plane.

The point of all of this is that you should continue with your Rapture, and if you get the urge to fly the Extra, get it hooked up to a buddy box, then fly it like that at altitude. That will wet your whistle on the Extra, as well as maybe give you a bit of a "scare". Don't attempt to fly it solo until you are ready for a plane that may have some bad habits. Don't rush it, the skills required to fly the Extra will come quicker than you think .

Happy flying.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 AM
PA BEN

I went to a H-9 Ultra Stick w/a .46 glow for my second plane. I then put a Mag. 70 4 stroke on the front. This plane will get you ready for any next plane. My next plane was a 3D Heckler.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Warnberg

Well the plane has arrived and build has begun..... Thanks for all the advice..
Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Any pics?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

Well the plane has arrived and build has begun..... Thanks for all the advice..
Cool, you're gonna love it.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Could you fly the Extra? Possibly, if you kept the control throws low, kept the throttle back and you are very careful in how you fly it
Right, - AND - if a good experienced flyer maidens it for you and trims it out first...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Could you fly the Extra? Possibly, if you kept the control throws low, kept the throttle back and you are very careful in how you fly it
Right, - AND - if a good experienced flyer maidens it for you and trims it out first...
AND an instructor or experienced pilot willing to buddy box you for several flights to learn the quirks of the plane.......
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Experience has taught me that a mid-wing with a thin airfoil like the Extra is not going to be a very good choice as a second plane. When he finishes with the Rapture 40 build and gets his first flight in, he will understand why this is so. I have flown Pawnees, Cubs, Citabrias, Twists, Space Walkers, Seagull Harriers, Slow Pokes, and of course my "mean-tempered" Tango (yes, I still got it; yes, I still fly it) among other stuff. Cubs and Citabrias are slower, less aerobatic, more forgiving, fly with the rudder, and have a longer glide ratio than the Rapture 40. They also deadstick better, allowing more time to find a suitable landing spot.

The Rapture 40 is smooth, fairly fast, responsive but not twitchy, and goes where it's pointed. It will not auto-level and will yaw the opposite direction if the rudder is used without the ailerons in turns; unlike a flat-bottom high-wing trainer. Wind pockets can bounce it around pretty good, and cross wind landings can be a challenge. Almost like a pattern plane, a Rapture will knife edge without too much difficulty. Snaps are dramatic, while excessive elevator throw can cause it to go into a spin. The shorter glide ratio will reduce the time you have to land, should the engine go out. Engines can and DO quit, and the Rapture does not deadstick like a trainer. But it will not fall out of the sky like an Edge or Extra, either. Still, the Rapture will pretty much have the same aerobatic capability.

The point I am making here, is that the Rapture will be demanding enough as a second plane. And this is without the added worry of the more limited flight latitude inherent in the wing design of that Extra 330. These sport-scales can, will, and DO bite without much provocation.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
txaggie08

The stik is a great way to go.

One that usually doesn't make sense but was actually recommended to me(I have one, it's still in storage in need of a new rudder due to pre-maiden hangar rash) is the u-can-do 3d .60 or .40. They're very floaty, and on low rates seem to not be to much to handle.

The tiger or the 4* are also great choices. Maybe try building a four star kit and keep grilling with your trainer? You can never fly it to much....

You could also build a fully symetrical wing for the trainer you have in the air. I knew three or four people who did that, they took the airfoil off something like an extra and cut simple wing ribs out. That would be a unique bird, and would save you the hassle of transferring everything to a new plane.

**edit** sorry didn't read the whole thread .