Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS 46 AX starts but not smoking

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS 46 AX starts but not smoking

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Stixoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 AX starts but not smoking

Well i started my engine! woot! It ran for about 30 seconds at 25% throttle than stalled when i lowered the revs. Tried re starting but it wouldn't start, i also noticed that there was no smoke when it started, i'm using 10% pre mix AC fuel (Green OS recommended stuff). I'm not sure whats going on now, i adjusted the needle valvue 1/2 a turn richer than the manual suggests to be on the side of caution and until i learn the "2 stroke - 4 stroke" sound.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: OS 46 AX starts but not smoking

The recommended needle valve settings are usually too rich. So the engine should start at this setting but generally you need to turn the NV clockwise after it is running.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The AX will have to be very rich to make the four stroke sound

Extended four stroking is not recommended on a new AX. You are supposed to run them a little rich in two stroke mode.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

One thing you can try is quickly pinching the fuel line to the carb when it's running; if you pinch really quick and let go, you should hear the RPM's increase - then you know you're on the rich side. If you pinch and the RPMs just die, it's lean.

I've broken in 4 AX engines so far this season and have followed the manual with the 'four stroke -> two stroke' method and it has not led to any problems. Four stroke for a minute, then alternate between two stroke and stroke cycle.

The point is to get the engine running and lubricated well with fuel/oil, then heat it up by leaning out to allow the metal to expand, then back to four stroke for more oil and cooling, etc. It's not good to four stroke it for too long as it won't heat up and expand (supposedly), but as the manual says is just fine.

Also, I learned that it's best to keep related questions in one thread, so people can follow along and help trouble shoot, etc.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Stixoz

Yeah sorry about that 1 garfield, didn't mean to spam the forums, just trying to get it all running which it is now thanks to you guys, just hope i didn't damage the engine with to much fuel and hydro lock :s It seems to run fine so fingers crossed it's ok.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

They're incredible engines. I went through similar stuff getting mine to run the first time, and now it starts up and runs perfect with one flip, every day