Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive and durable?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Inexpensive and durable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
inline300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive and durable?

Im sure this question gets asked alot, feel free to ignore the newb.

I have minimal experience, over a decade ago, someone give me a little plane, all I does function wise is, has a propeller which once you start it, it doesnt stop till you hit something or it runs out of juice about a minute later, then back on the charger she goes. The tail moves left/ right...it survived a direct hit with a telephone pole, so its not all bad.

Anyhoo, my nephew has shown interest in these things and it revived a desire I once had. I got him a fast lane micro fighter 27MHZ deal. Didnt cost but 35 bucks but that little thing will scoot right along, it has the left right propeller and you can control the throttle, which is a step up for me. I thought about getting one of those but after a few youtube videos, Id like something I can make do horizontal corkscrew movements, loops, fly upside down and things like that. Is there a beginner plane that can give me that freedom? I wanna impress the nephews niece with the old uncles ability to fly this thing.

Money is tight lately, so any recommendation that is inexpensive, not read cheap product, would be great. Im looking at the hobbyzone super cub but not sure it can do all the things Id like to eventually see happen.

I read the sticky but seems those dont have controllers. I need everything in a box or Ill just get lost. If I can get a better bang for the buck but have to assemble, thats fine, Im pretty good at putting things together. It doesnt have to be a big plane, doesnt have to look like a prop plane, a little jet or something would be ok, im open to ideas.

Any direction appreciated.

Im nowhere near a club area/ instructor but do live out in the middle of nowhere, so about the only thing that will get hurt is my pride.

Ive searched and end up getting lost in the thousands of webpages that get me nowhere, is there an online source that offers their product at the best price over others, there are no local hobby stores so Im at the mercy of the world wide web but thats fine?

I seen a few videos with the plane having onboard digital video recorders, is there such a thing as an expensive video recorder/ would a beginner plane be able to carry it well?

Thanks

FWIW, I do acrylic artwork on canvas and would be up for a trade, if someone has a nice beginner plane new or used.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Inexpensive and durable?

The Super Cub is an excellent choice. It doesn't have ailerons, but it CAN do loops.

here is a review of it with video:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1003
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

You want to be able to fly aerobatics (loops, rolls, etc.). The low cost planes (under $100) are not very good for this. If your budget can stand about $250, there are lot's of good choices. You can mail-order a complete ready-to-fly glow engine powered trainer that will do the things you want to do. However, you will need some help from someone that can already fly. This type pf plane has a glow engine (runs on glow-fuel - a mixture of alcohol and oil - and can be tricky for beginners to get running and tuned up. Also, you need some guidance on how to fly without crashing. A computer based flight simulator will help a lot of you have a PC. Unfortunately, these software programs can also be expensive. the best ones cost $200. There is a free one that is not too bad that you can download.

On board video is quite possible with a plane of this size. I've got no personal experience in this area, but I do know that the low-cost systems are quite light so can be added to almost any plane.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
inline300

I read the sticky, seems those require you to buy additional parts, im not that up to speed yet, would prefer everything come in a box, whether it be assembled or in pieces, just as long as its all there.

Maybe its the little kid in me but loops dont do crap for me, but the rolls sure look cool.

So its ailerons that Im looking for.

What would the least expensive with ailerons be? I was reading about the multiplex mentor earlier but If im not mistaken or at least how I read it, I would have to buy the electronic engine solenoids and controller seperate?

I do acrylic art on canvas and willing to barter, and would be content with a good used plane, it doesnt have to be new, Ill crash it sooner than later anyway. I have one example of a small plane on my webpage, if interested ask. Im willing to paint almost anything.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:58 PM
inline300

HOLY MOLY

I spent the better part of sunday trying to learn something, dial up makes it all the more interesting.

Lets say I dont need ailerons but would like to do rolls at least.

Is there a plane that comes with everything (controller etc) for under 100 bux that would be worth owning?

What webstore contains the most scratch/dent/discounted rc planes?

I read about the flyzone piper J3 and flyzone diablo edf jet trainer. I like the look of the diablo but really want something that will take off and land from the ground. I read as much positive about the piper J3 as bad, so not sure about that one. Would appear the hobby zone super cub is my best bet, unless somoeone has knowledge of something cheaper yet as effective.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The super cub is your best bet, it takes alot of practice with 3 channels but you can make it roll...I bought one for a friend to learn on, just pay attention and dont panic,,, altitude is your friend, slow stick movements, I think they still come with 2 batteries mine did...and my friend is doing well with his, nice large open area, long slow landings...he flys at an airport cause he has a real plane there..Rog
Old 12-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<<snip>>Is there a plane that comes with everything (controller etc) for under 100 bux that would be worth owning?<<snip>>
If you change your question and ask "How much would it cost me to buy your favorite aerobatic plane, complete with power and radio equipment", I would expect the answers would range from around $300 on up. I would also expect those favorites to be a better investment than anything RTF you can get for less than a hundred bucks.

I suggest you spend some time with flyers and take a look at their planes & radios, then decide if you want to spend money on RC flying.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
inline300

any thoughts on the bellanca decathlon 480?

I actually like its appearance more than the others. seen a video of it, seems ok.

I suggest you spend some time with flyers and take a look at their planes & radios, then decide if you want to spend money on RC flying.
These people dont exist in my area, if they did, Id be lying to you if I said Id be giving folks a call to go hang out, its just not gonna happen. Im on a limited budget thats not gonna change any time soon but would like to get something. What I get isnt as important as getting something to spend a little time with my nephews, they seem to be having fun watching me throw this piece of crap "cox flyboy" across the yard in hopes it will fly, bear in mind, I found it in 20 pieces and it now consists of duct tape and cardboard but the son of a gun will glide. battery is old and wont hold a charge, talking 20 yr old technology here.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

This is pretty cool and will do a roll. http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h...bird_swift.htm I had an Aerobird 3 and had a blast with it.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

This is pretty cool and will do a roll. http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h...bird_swift.htm I had an Aerobird 3 and had a blast with it.
I have a aerobird and would get the super cub over it!!!!!!! the aerobird will fly and it does take a good hit, but so will the super cub and you can buy parts and reglue the super cub.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
inline300

aesthetically, im not a fan of the aerobird.

I think Id like to go with either the hobbyzone super cub or bellanca decathlon 480.

They both have a 480 motor

The super cub has driveable rear wheel, which I think is good for a newb.

The super cub is three channel, where the bellanca is four. has ailerons but not setup in stock form?

There is a 25 dollar difference, decathlon being the cheaper yet has more potential??

I like the decathlon looks but figure If I went with the super cub, Id probably just paint it anyway, Id likely get more fun out of that than anything anyway.

Any comments?

Main thing I see, the super cub has the newb assist function and those that comment on the decathlon, say its a nice plane but not for the newb.

Anyone have a lead on a scratch/dent, reach cheap hobbyzone super cub?

now this is how my mind works.

this piece of crap cox flyboy im tinkering with has seen its last days. the battery is junk but the servo for the rutter works fine. whats the chances I could insert a new battery, find a cheap big ass foam glider, and transplant the motor/rotor, rutter servo over to that bad boy and make it a flyer?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
TFF

Get the Cub; when you stop crashing get something better. Ailerons will just complicate and make more crashes if you are not ready. Get the Cub and try your transplant. Also dont paint your plane; the extra weight will not be kind to you or the plane.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 AM
inline300

I dont think the ailerons are functional out of the box with the decathlon

wouldnt it be more logical to not use the ailerons until ready....cheaper toy....get where im going?

sucks that you cant paint them.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 PM
inline300

just came across this plane. cheap enough.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html

any opinions one way or the other?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
smokeyser

The cub from nitroplanes is another option, depending on where you plan to fly. At 37" and 17oz, it's not going to tolerate ANY wind though. Not that the super cub is a whole lot bigger. But in general, the bigger the better. The slightest breeze would send that thing off course, so it might be a bit more work to control the smaller cub.

By the way, scroll down a bit in RCKen's sticky post at the top of the forums and check the RTF section. Those planes come with controllers and are very much worth it if you can save up the extra money.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Villa

Inexpensive and durable is what the SPAD planes are. I suggest you scroll down to that forum and look it over. The planes are built our of the flat plastic sheets used to make signes, such as political signes.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: inline300

Head over to the electric forums and ask about this one...iit may be too new , hopefully its what your looking for , but nitroplanes does have some bad history too....that may have improved also...Rog
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah "a cheap big ass foam glider" would work for you just fine.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
inline300

ORIGINAL: Villa

Inexpensive and durable is what the SPAD planes are. I suggest you scroll down to that forum and look it over. The planes are built our of the flat plastic sheets used to make signes, such as political signes.

That was interesting. I dont know much about planes but I do like creating. Maybe you could help me then. What am I looking at out of pocket here, including controllers, etc. for a basic SPAD.

I found this link:
http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm

Some of those are slick.

I tried to work out a deal on a new super cub hobbyzone but it fell through.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM
flyinrog

Once you have the field equipment and radio and engine..inititally somewhat expensive, but after that planes are relatively inexpensive
in 1/2a you can get a cheap .049 engine off the bay, buy a $3 foamy glider as Tom suggested cut 6 inches off the nose and hot glue the electrics in place, mine fluttered itself to death, really cool......if you go electric RTF (ready to fly) then at least make sure the components are there, servos, and reciever (Rx),, instead of a circuit board that does everything ...Megatech, tends to use the circuit boards and have heavy planes..you'll want to put these electric parts in your next plane whatever it is,,,GWS is a good brand and very popular....a pico stick is pretty easy to fly and you can order a few extra battery packs and fly several times for about 7 minutes each...Rog
This isnt a cheap hobby,,but it can be done
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
inline300

Thanks.

So your kinda suggesting I go with something like the hobbyzone super cub then?

I found a hobbyzone website, seen folks sticking ailerson on them, kinda cool.

I have a post on the exceed piper j3 in the RTF ARF section.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Villa

Hi inline300
I am not well versed on the minimum cost to get into this hobby. Others, I'm sure, will help you with that. Get connected with a flying club. Many teach you to fly free. At our club we even supply the trainer plane and all equipment. To wet your appetite for creating your own design, here are some of my own designs, all SPADS:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8007330
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3476218
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4379145
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7388836
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7019698

Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
The Juice

ORIGINAL: inline300

I was just reading a review of this plane and the author was talking about a near miss he had because the controls are reversed from what he is used too. When I looked at the radio it did have the throttle sliding in a different direction. Just something to think about.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
inline300

no local clubs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.