Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spares and parts?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spares and parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Stixoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spares and parts?

Hey guys.

As some of you know i'm currentley self teaching myself on a Boomerang 40 and i live out in the middle of nowhere. I'm heading in to town tomorrow which is 3 hrs away and not a regular trip so i thought i might pick up some spare parts and repairing materials. I was hoping i would of broken it by now so i would know what i need but i have no idea?

What spare parts/reparing materials do you think i should grab? I was going to grab another spare prop but what about Balsa and covering material etc? What sizes/weights or what ever should i grab for spares?

Also the side of my plane and wing gets covered in oil from the exhaust after every flight (OS 46 AX) is there anything i can do about that? exhaust extension or something like that? I have the next 2 weeks off so plan on doing as much flying as possible and don't want a small mishap to cause me a 6 hour round trip to get spares.

I was thinking about getting some bigger wheels, because my flying field is a bit rough and taxing is a bit difficult, maybe some new landing gear (I hear the stock ones are weak) and a prop nut or alloy spinner.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spares and parts?

More fuel, tape will repair tears in covering, (packing tape)..a couple of props, yes you can get exhaust extentions, some auto fuel tubing works too.. a few inches is fine...glue...extra glow plug..Rog,
I fly smaller planes and use 2.5 inch racing wheels , they are hard plastic but do the job.....
Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 AM
bruce88123

Prop and big wheels is a good idea. A lot of minor covering damage can be repaired with 2 inch clear packaging tape. It's a workhorse and not intended to be a thing of beauty. Expect it to get beat up some. Some thin CA and 30 minute epoxy would be good too. CA will take care of a lot and the epoxy will help if you knock the firewall or gear mounts loose.
Tough to predict balsa sizes unless you can predict how you PLAN to crash. Most can't do that. Make sure you have appropriate tools to tighten all of the hardware on the plane. 6 hours for a screwdriver or allen wrench would be rough.[:@]
An exhaust extension would help but keep it in the 2-3 inch long range and the "goo" cleans off pretty well with Windex or Simple Green or similar and paper towels. And don't worry about cleaning after every flight. I usually just clean mine at the end of the day, if then.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Stixoz

What do you call packing tape? Cellotape/sticky tape like what ya use to wrap xmas presents except wider?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM
bruce88123

Wider and thicker and stronger usually.
Like this http://office.pricegrabber.com/stapl...ers/m/4290624/ or similar. Can be found in most stores that sell supplies for packaging.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Stixoz

Cheers, i will grab some of that, what else do a think?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

a couple glow plugs.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
bkdavy

Since you don't know what you might need in Balsa for repairs, do what I do - get a few stock sizes and a Balsa "stripper". You can then cut just about anything you need. I like to work from 1/4" planks (3"x30" is usually pretty easy to find) to start with, as that seems to be about the thickest of any of the balsa used on a 40 size plane. Also pick up some 3/32" sheeting (againg the 3"x30" is usually easy to find). Also pick up a couple 1/8"x6"x36" light ply. With those, you should be ready to do just about any repairs.

For glue, keep 30 minute epoxy, carpenters glue, and thin CA handy.

Brad
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Lnewqban

Stixoz:

My field is also rough grass; so:
1) I replaced my wheels by 3" back and 2-3/4" front, Lite type (very light and made from hard foam by same regular manufacturers).
2) Reinforced landing gear with extra music wire soldered to original (it can also be wrapped with thread and glued with CA or epoxy).
3) Re-arranged steering linkage for minimum movement at full rudder deflection.

Now, for supplies to take to the field each time:
1) Basic tool box with all the tools your model would need, hobby knife.....and more.
2) Silicone fuel tubing.
3) Balsa, plywood and pine dowels scrap.
4) 2" transparent tape (3M, etc.).
5) Sand paper.
6) Each kind of glue: carpenter, CA and epoxy.
7) Several balanced propellers.
8) Balancer for the model (Couple dowels and perforated 2x4); just to verify balance after mishaps.
9) Balancing sticky leads.
10) Spare parts for linkages and engine, spare screws, bolts, nuts, fuel filters, propeller nut, collars, exhaust extension (anything that can break or fall into the grass).
11) Lots of #64 rubber bands (they are good for infinite number of things) (if you place them in a bottle with water and detergent after use, they remain good for longer time).
12) After run oil (or oil for compressed air tools)
13) Glass cleaner and cloth towels (I prefer them over paper towels; I have a bunch of 12x12 and I wash and dry) (bigger towels are also good to wrap the engine and avoid stains on your car and to catch small parts before they fall into the grass during repairs).
14) Extra batteries for glow driver.
15) Means to check receiver battery charge.
16) Several types and grades of glow plugs.
17) First aid kit and insect repellent.
18) Several big plastic bags (hopefully not to be used) and a rope (for landing on tress).
19) All the fuel you can.

I know it seems too much, but it has made me happy to have what I have needed when nobody has been around to help.

Once you are in town, buy some 1/2" PVC pipe, fittings, PVC glue, foam insulation and ground steel stakes, and build yourself a model restrainer.

Any balsa wood is good to have at home, you can always build up to the size you need by gluing layers.

Regards!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
flyinrog

Oh yeah a Voltwatch if the hobby store has them,,plugs into rx and lets you know when batts are getting low...and yes packing tape is clear 2 inch wide stronger tape but like wrapping tape....Rog