Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How Many Channels

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How Many Channels

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many Channels

If you were going to purchase an all around radio for airplanes how many channels would you suggest?? I am thinking 6 or 7 with the 2.4hz technology. Then what manfacture provides the most bang for the buck?? When I flew years ago I had a Futatba radio, but that was a lot of years ago. I am going to get back into it with a HZ Super Cub. I know that the electronics supplied with the plane are marginal. That is why I am curious as to what you guys think.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
speedair

Default RE: How Many Channels

I would stick to the futaba radios and as for the amount of channels i would go for 6. Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've flown Futaba 72Mhz radios like the 4YBF and the 7CAF since getting into the hobby, but last year I decided to go with Airtronics for 2.4Ghz.

The Airtronics RDS8000 is an 8-channel 2.4Ghz frequency hopping radio system with advanced programming and mixing features for aircraft, sailplanes, and helicopters. It's on sale right now at http://www.hobbypeople.net with one receiver for $149.99. Extra 8-channel receivers are available for only $79.99 before discounts.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=995

It's quite arguably the best value in a spread spectrum 2.4Ghz radio system on the market for under $550.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Radios choices are all driven by what you want to do and where your interests are. I fly mostly glow, 40-60 size models. I've got a helicopter that uses 8 channels (too many gadgets!). I occasionally try a park flyer. So for me, I need something with at least 8 channels that has receivers available in many different sizes. I also wanted 2.4ghz. When I bought a new radio last year I had three brands to really look at. Futaba, JR, and Airtronics. Spektrum doesn't make an 8 channel, so it was out. Airtronics has only one 2.4ghz receiver, which is too big for the small park flyers. That left Futaba and JR. For me, it was the wide range of Spektrum receivers that pushed me to JR. I can get a 6-channel park flyer receiver for $40, and a 5-channel full range receiver for $50. Futaba just can't come close to those prices. I've got enough airplanes that paying Futaba's prices would have made my total cost of switching to 2.4ghz pretty pricey.

That's how my reasoning went. You're best off doing something similar for yourself. Figure out your features that you want, channels, and what your budget is. That takes some work and there's really no way anyone can do it for you. Much depends on where you see yourself going with the hobby. If you stick to the major brands there's really not a bad product out there.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Six channels would allow you to have separate aileron channels as well as flaps

The sky is the limit and there is always the possibility for something additional
Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If you're looking at getting a 6ch radio, go for 7. There are functions the 7ch radios will do that the 6ch won't do, other than just having an extra channel. Two examples off the top of my head are dual elevator mixing and non-linear channel mixing (i.e. 'up elevator' with either direction of rudder input).

I have the Airtronics RDS8000 8ch radio. It's an unbeatable deal at $150 for radio and one receiver and $229 for radio and two receivers. Easy to use, comfortable to hold, and capable up to interediate->advanced levels of flight.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't quite understand, Mike. You said Spektrum was out of the question because it doesn't have 8 channels, yet you are happy with a 5 channel RX.

Dguy, Spektrum has several systems available. Their DX7 will support several receivers, both full range and park flyer types.

Airtronics has their RDS8000 2.4 GHz on sale at Hobbypeople for $149 and at Tower for $229. Tower's sale comes with two receivers. They will all handle just about all of the servos on the market.

Your choice.

CGr.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I don't quite understand, Mike. You said Spektrum was out of the question because it doesn't have 8 channels, yet you are happy with a 5 channel RX.
As I said, I have one model that requires 8 channels. Do all of your models require the same number of channels?

DGuy, find out if Airtronics' receiver will fit your Super Cub before making a purchase. Some people will recommend taking the plastic case off of the receiver, but that's a Mickey Mouse solution.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
opjose

DGUY:

As many channels as you can afford +2.

Some will insist that you do not need many channels initially, this is true... but a good TX tends to last a long time and during that time you'll have use of a quality piece of hardware.

The extra channels buy you other things in addition to the channels, such as more model memory ( more planes ), more mixes, more switches, etc.

Sooner or later as you move along in this hobby, you will find that you need as many channels as you can get...

e.g. one for each aileron, one for each elevator, one for throttle, one for choke or ignitor, one for smoke, etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Believe it or not I have two aircraft (a Goldberg Hot Stik .40 and a Great Planes Ultimate 1.60) that use all eight plugs in the receiver and multiple mixes and assigned switches on the radio. With the Ultimate I even had to bring the batteries into the circuit with a "Y" connector into the 8th channel port! Neither of these have any fancy features like retracts, smoke, bombs, etc. I do have an optical cable engine kill for the gasoline w/electronic ignition that takes the retract port on my receiver. Otherwise, just the basic flight controls. When I bought the Futaba 9C four years ago I had no idea how soon I'd be using as many features as I now do. The Goldberg has four aileron servos and by keeping them independant I can use them as ailerons, flaps, spoilers, flaperons, spoilerons (C.R.O.W.) and do all kinds of interesting mixes.
WHen you start to get dual rudder servos and split elevator halves having the versatility in the radio saves cost and weight by not needing to add seperate servo combiners and balancers to the aircraft.

Soooo. My vote would be for an eight channel for full versatility.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

I had a Futaba 6 channel 2.4 and sold it to get a Spektrum DX7. I went that route because Spektrum offers way more options when it comes to receivers compared to Futaba. Correct me if Im wrong but the cheapest full range receiver Futaba offers is a 7 channel one for $99 on towerhobbies. Compare that to Spektrum who offers a full range 5 channel, 6 channel, and 7 channel that are all cheaper than the Futaba one. The five channel is perfect for any plane just needing 4 channels and even has an extra port for ailerons so you have the option of using a Y extension or not. I think that receiver can be found for $59.99 or cheaper if you look around good. Also the DX7 is way more versatile than that Futaba radio I had.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Soooo. My vote would be for an eight channel for full versatility.
Exactly, though 8 might not be enough!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
2slow2matter

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Radios choices are all driven by what you want to do and where your interests are. I fly mostly glow, 40-60 size models. I've got a helicopter that uses 8 channels (too many gadgets!). I occasionally try a park flyer. So for me, I need something with at least 8 channels that has receivers available in many different sizes. I also wanted 2.4ghz. When I bought a new radio last year I had three brands to really look at. Futaba, JR, and Airtronics. Spektrum doesn't make an 8 channel, so it was out. Airtronics has only one 2.4ghz receiver, which is too big for the small park flyers. That left Futaba and JR. For me, it was the wide range of Spektrum receivers that pushed me to JR. I can get a 6-channel park flyer receiver for $40, and a 5-channel full range receiver for $50. Futaba just can't come close to those prices. I've got enough airplanes that paying Futaba's prices would have made my total cost of switching to 2.4ghz pretty pricey.

That's how my reasoning went. You're best off doing something similar for yourself. Figure out your features that you want, channels, and what your budget is. That takes some work and there's really no way anyone can do it for you. Much depends on where you see yourself going with the hobby. If you stick to the major brands there's really not a bad product out there.
Actually, Spektrum does make radios with more than 7 channels, they just put JR on them, or JR makes radios with less than 8, they put Spektrum on them, any way you want to look at it.
Here's how I see it. The largest expense you'll have will most likely be in receivers, as these 2.4 gHz rx are all still pretty expensive. If you are like me, and you have 10 or more planes, then you will easily spend over a grand on replacing all of you rx's (over time), while the radio itself will cost you anywhere from 150 to 4 or 5 hondo. I like spektrum/JR because they (right now) offer the biggest line of rx, for the best prices (IMO). like MikeL said, not all of your planes will need 7 or 8 channels, but with most of the brands you will be limited to one or two rx at most to choose from when you go to start buying rx's. With spektrum, you can pay as little as 49 or 59, all the way up to whatever you want to spend on a rx, depending upon the application. So if you see yourself needing more than 7 channels, get the 9 channel JR, as it will use any of the JR or spektrum rx on the market today (because they are all the same).
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks guys for your input. It has been so long since I looked at R/C equipment it is hard to believe how far it has come. The last time I flew a plane all the was offered where at the most I think was a 7 channel. Glow planes was about the only game in town. I am in Iraq at the moment and will be home for R&R in a couple of weeks. I sure hope the weather is good enough to fly the Super Cub I bought. I got a UPS confirmation that it has been delivered Yahoooo!!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
bigedmustafa

The Airtronics budget 6-channel and 7-channel 2.4Ghz receivers are expected to start shipping around April of this year at street prices significantly lower than the $79.99 price tage of the 92824 8-channel receiver. Spektrum gets $99.99 for their 7-channel receiver and the JR 9-channel receiver is $169.99. The JR/Spektrum receiver pricing advantage is about to go away with the introduction of additional Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio equipment.

As nice as the JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio system is, the new Airtronics SD-10G 10-channel 2.4Ghz radio system will be coming in below $500 street price and could end up embarrassingly close to the Spektrum DX7's $349.99 street price. Maybe I'm dreaming on this particular point, but is it just a coincidence that Hobby People is selling single receiver RDS8000 packages for $149.99 right before the SD-10G comes to market?

The Spektrum/JR lineup of transmitters and receivers is a good line-up from top to bottom, and anyone who buys and flies DSM2 radio equipment will likely be happy with it. That having been said, Horizon Hobby has never been the price leader in any product category. I expect you're going to see Global Hobby/Airtronics continue to hammer JR/Spektrum with regard to overall value in order to make up ground after coming late to the party.

If you're really focusing on saving money as you continue to add 2.4Ghz receivers to your collection of airplanes, Airtronics will likely turn out to be the smart buy. Nobody else can touch 2.4Ghz 8-channel receivers for $79.99, and Airtronics is getting ready to ship several more receiver options within the next 60 to 90 days.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM
dignlivn

DGuy

First of all Thank You !

As for the Radio, i'm using a Futaba 6ex. It's
a 6 channel 2.4 and there may come a day I wish
I had 7 channels. The weather in Ga. should be
better by the time you get here, hurry home.

Bob
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
jetmech05

when I first got into the hobby I couldn't imagine using 8 channels..I now have 2 planes that use 8....when you start getting into gas and or warbirds with multiple servos the channels go fast when you use 2 or 3 for 1 function...
I like the Futaba 10C for 2.4..It's the radio I want
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
crossman

I was all set to buy the Futaba 6EX a year ago, then the brought out the 7C 2.4G at the price that the 6 had been at. (around 310.00 w/servos). As was mentioned, the extra channel was only part of the reason to step up. More mixes, more programing options, and a timer that the 6 ch didn't have. My best suggestion is to buy the most you can afford (or justify). It cheaper now than buying a second one later.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa
]Spektrum gets $99.99 for their 7-channel receiver and the JR 9-channel receiver is $169.99.
Those aren't the street prices. Try $80 and $130. Those are just two in the range, however. You can spend as little as $40 for a park flyer receiver. Why make something appear more expensive than it is?

I know there are always some partisan feelings when it comes to radios, for whatever reason, but I don't know that it's wise to make recommendations on products that are either unannounced, unpriced, or not shipping. It'll be months before those hit the market, and the specs/prices aren't known.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
jimmyjames213

im debating what to buy a spektrum 7ch 2.4 or a futaba 7c 2.4

now im flying sports planes (.40 nitro) and park flyers doing basic aerobatics
(way) down the road i would like to work my way up to 3d with 50cc gas planes

what radio should i get
im open to other radio's
the price of recivers is important, that is what is making me lean to spektrum right now.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
MikeL

One nice thing about staying with the same brand is that you can use your old radio as a buddy box. Then again, old FM radios can be had pretty cheap. Lord knows I've got enough Airtronics and JR radios laying around.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM
jetmech05

If your thinking of gas..think of this 1 channel for throttle, 1 channel for choke, 1 for rudder, perhaps 2 for ailerons and 2 for elevator, perhaps one for smoke thats 8..see what I mean..channels go fast..
I have a 50cc Pitts Python...1 throttle 1 choke 1 rudder 2 elevators 2 ailerons.1 optic kill switch..that's 8..
If you were to get a 9 or 10 channel 2.4 that would be all the radio you need for years....
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy j from all that has been said here and elsewhere on RCU you should by now have knowledge of what is available. We all have absorb info then make a choice based on what we think will be best for us. I chose JR Spectrum for several reasons that suited me and have not any a single problem of any kind with it in over 2 years. I have it installed in 16 of my aircraft and fly them all often, some nitro,some electric and one gas. I do suggest that you not buy anything less than 7 channels.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your thinking of gas..think of this 1 channel for throttle, 1 channel for choke, 1 for rudder, perhaps 2 for ailerons and 2 for elevator, perhaps one for smoke thats 8..see what I mean..channels go fast..
I have a 50cc Pitts Python...1 throttle 1 choke 1 rudder 2 elevators 2 ailerons.1 optic kill switch..that's 8..
If you were to get a 9 or 10 channel 2.4 that would be all the radio you need for years....
Do you really get enough use out of the choke from the Tx to justify it? Most folks in my IMAA club just have a manual choke and run it on the ground before the first flight until it's warm and then open it up for the pre-flight.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
ImHooked

Futaba and as many as you can afford! As you progress into the hobby and start getting bigger, more advance airplanes, and you will, those planes reguire more channel capability. If you don't, you will end up with a work bench full of transmitters that you don't use anymore. Please don't ask me how I know this! LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.