Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flaperon help needed!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flaperon help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
richardci
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperon help needed!

I have been flying a Hanger 9 Extra Easy trainer (69" WS .46 Evo engine) I would like to set it up with flaperons. I need guidence on how many degrees the flap position should be set at and techniques on using them for takeoff and landing. I have a short runway and in landing I have a problem because the plane wants to glide forever.
Richard
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Flaperon help needed!

Flaps won't help much - they will make it glide even more.

Re-check your CG. if it is nose heavy, it won't slow down properly.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minn is correct. Check that your engine is idling properly and maybe switch to a finer pitched prop. Does that have the Evolution Trainer Engine system with the 3-blade prop? Other than that, proper balance and flying techniques should be sufficient.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

If you have a high pitch prop, that could likely be your problem.
also, you could mix in some spoilerons if you want (upward deflection). This acts to kill the lift. It won't really slow the model much, but it will definitely force it to the ground. I wouldn't recommend it, though, unless you are fairly proficient at landing already. Add a little at at time as you see how the model reacts if you do it. Plus, flaperons are never a good idea because you are (in effect) going to force (or at least influence) the outboard part of the wing to stall first.

Edited to change a "brainfart"
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
richardci

Thanks for the info, I have been using a 11 x 7 prop on my 46NT. I have the 3 blde trainer prop and an 11 x 6.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Charlie P.

Set them with 10% UP for spoilerons. MAy have to adjust it depending on hos the model reacts. This kills lift and is a much better choice for flat-wing or semi-symmetrical models to "make them stick". Do not attempt to lift off with spoilerons deployed.

It will not replace a slow approach, low idle and low initial altitude on committment to a landing.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

also, you could mix in some spoilerons if you want (upward deflection). This acts to kill the lift. It won't really slow the model much, but it will definitely force it to the ground. I wouldn't recommend it, though. Plus, spoilerons are never a good idea because you are (in effect) going to force (or at least influence) the outboard part of the wing to stall first.
As slight amount of spoileron actually works like wash-out and prevents a tip stall in barn door ailerons. Not in full-length ailerons, though. That's wht the outboard ailerons flip up with the C.R.O.W. and Butterfly settings in gliders and uber-aerobic models.

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfartic...t/v1-4-10.html
Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: richardci

Thanks for the info, I have been using a 11 x 7 prop on my 46NT. I have the 3 blde trainer prop and an 11 x 6.
Try the 11x6 and a low idle.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Aerobat5

Hi
You didn't say if you had a computer radio, and I don't knnow if your plane has a single or multiple servos for the ailerons. If single servo you can't use flaperons at all. If you have a computer radio and a three position switch available, then set your flaps for no more than 15 degrees for the approach, and that will slow down the airplane. No more than that though because you are limiting your aileron travel with flaperons. "After touchdown", and only after touchdown set your flaperons to max to create all the drag possible. Or you can even raise them to create spoilers.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

also, you could mix in some spoilerons if you want (upward deflection). This acts to kill the lift. It won't really slow the model much, but it will definitely force it to the ground. I wouldn't recommend it, though. Plus, spoilerons are never a good idea because you are (in effect) going to force (or at least influence) the outboard part of the wing to stall first.
As slight amount of spoileron actually works like wash-out and prevents a tip stall in barn door ailerons. Not in full-length ailerons, though. That's wht the outboard ailerons flip up with the C.R.O.W. and Butterfly settings in gliders and uber-aerobic models.

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfartic...t/v1-4-10.html
Sorry,
I meant to say flaperons induce tip stall. Don't know why I put spoilerons. You are right about the wash-out. To further this discussion just a bit (for the OP of course, I know most of you guys know this basic stuff) inboard flaps work well for several reasons.
Number one, they create drag that slows the airplane down. Number two they extend the trailing edge of the wing, giving more wing surface area, and more lift at slower speeds, and number three they (when the time comes) force (or try to force) the inboard part of the wing to stall first, so the plane sits straight down on the runway while the wingtips continue to produce lift until the plane is firmly on the runway. This creates lateral stability during the landing, especially the last part where the wing finally stalls and the plane touches down. After all, eventually you HAVE to stall the wing to land, it's a matter of how you do it, at what speed and altitude you do it that determines how good or bad the landing is.
I will go back and edit the original post so as to eliminate some confusion. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the flaperons set up as the slave to my elevator on one plane just for the fun of it. As I pull up the ailerons drop as I use more elevator. I have even had the spoileron set up as slave to my throttle, again, just for plane fun! As 2slow mentioned, flaperons can induce a stall and sometimes if I don't flip the switch and turn them off before landing on those nice calm days the plane can be a hand full. Probably not a good idea on a trainer type of plane. You can slow the plane down better by changing the prop. The trainers I have used over the years I always go to a bit longer prop with a smaller pitch to help my students stay ahead of the plane and slow it down a bit for both flying and landing. Seems to help.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Jacked69

Minn is correct, I tried flaps on my alpha 40 and it glided more, as said above check the center of Gravity, its better to be nose heavy than tail heavy. Hope this helps.....Jason
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Lnewqban

richardci:

I suggest to revise the trimming of the model, specially angle of attack and of thrust.
If it floats much at iddle, then, it may baloom at full throttle.

How short is that landing strip?

Regards!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM
richardci

Thanks for the input,
I think you are right about re-triming. With the control sufaces at neutral I have to fly it at a little less than 1/2 throtle to stay level. As soon as I increase throtle past 1/2 it starts to climb. The CG and engine thrust angles are at Hangar - 9 specs. My runway is about 200 feet. I raised the trailing edge of the wing 1/16" and it improved slightly.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
carrellh

I raised the trailing edge of the wing 1/16" and it improved slightly.
My brother had a Thunder Tiger trainer that worked best with two popsicle sticks under the trailing edge.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Bob Mitchell

Thanks for the input,
I think you are right about re-triming. With the control sufaces at neutral I have to fly it at a little less than 1/2 throtle to stay level. As soon as I increase throtle past 1/2 it starts to climb. The CG and engine thrust angles are at Hangar - 9 specs. My runway is about 200 feet. I raised the trailing edge of the wing 1/16" and it improved slightly.
Unless it works differently for models than for full scale, your plane should climb when you add power if it's trimmed for level flight at a given throttle setting.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Lnewqban

richardci:

I suggest you to read this old thread, which is related to your problem:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7660312

Also check the links mentioned there for good trimming procedure.

I believe 200 feet is not too bad; but if everything fails, research about STOL models (short take-off and landing).

Regards!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
nobodytwo

Thanks for the input,
Ah! Aren't the effects of a flat bottom wing great! Set you idle speed so that your plane just barely rolls on a smooth surface. Then try giving a couple of "down" trim clicks (towards the top of the radio) just before you turn to land. And, as you know, always landing into the wind.

Happy Landings!