Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question on fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question on fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on fuel

I've always run 10%, but ended up with a bottle of 15% by mistake this time. I bought another gallon today and grabbed ten percent out of habit. I've never switched between %'s like this, how much correction in tuning will this engine(saito 1.00) require before flying(tuned with the 15%)?

Also would like input as I've heard varying responses, 10 or 15% in this motor?

I feel like a dummy asking things like this, I've been out for a long time and this is the first motor I've dealt with knowing what I was doing out of all the ones I've owned(mostly by myself at any rate....the guys out at BVRC are being a great help ).
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Question on fuel

Switching from 10% to 15% will likely throw off your low speed and high speed needles a bit, but not severely. A couple of minutes worth of retuning and you should be good to go again.

Most Saito owners like higher percentage nitro fuel for best performance, but they run well on 10% and more nitro isn't really needed for general sport flying.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
txaggie08

I'll fly out the gallon of 10% and then go back to the 15% then. Hmm, sounds good...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not worth worrying about too much

Just readjust the HS needle and go on about your business
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope people know that you should set the main (high speed) needle every time you go out to fly. If you start flying and the conditions change (warms up from morning to afternoon), or big change in humidity, or even air pressure, you may need to make a slight change.

Between 10 and 15% fuel. I doubt very many could tell the difference in a double blind test. As you go up with the nitro content, you need to increase the fuel flow.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a spare jug and funnel (use a milk jug temporarily if need be) just mix the two 50/50 and end up with 12.5 %. Then when you switch back to 10% full time you will never notice the difference. You're making more out of this than what it is IMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't even notice the difference. I almost never have to change a needle setting unless it goes from the 70s to the 20s or 30s. Watching needle twisters drives me nuts, an engine doesn't notice 20 degrees other then the cold start first thing in the morning.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

You won't even notice the difference. I almost never have to change a needle setting unless it goes from the 70s to the 20s or 30s. Watching needle twisters drives me nuts, an engine doesn't notice 20 degrees other then the cold start first thing in the morning.
I know you're just talking about changes in weather and not fuel I only noticed my needle needing an adjustment at the end of the summer when it was, like you said, dipping from the 70's to the 40's.

Switching to 15% will require the needle to be opened to prevent lean run, as more nitro likes less air.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe, I haven't seen the need to change anything going from 10 to 15 percent. I do have to adjust the low end when going from 15% to 5% though. My YS 1.10s don't run well on the 20/20 fuel but my 1.20YS engines like the 20/20?? I figure it goes from engine to engine. All of my glow engines have to get the high end opened up when it goes from the 100s down into the 50s. Depending on the temp. drop. I have to open the high end one click at a time and then they are fine all winter long four clicks fat. This week it was in the mid 60s to about 70 and I had to lean the high ends two clicks. Two to go before it settles into spring here. Other then this major weather drop I don't touch my needles unless I change prop sizes.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been waffling between 10% and 15% for years. Most recently I bough a case of 15% as it was only $2/gallon more than the 10%. The only advantage I have noticed in my sport flying is that I seem to be able to get a more consistant low idle with the 15%. That could just as easily be due to conditions of the day and circumstance. Possibly a higher top-end, but I seldom fly full throttle anyway.
I can tell you fresh 10% does better than stale 15%. ;-)