Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is it a crime flying R/E only?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is it a crime flying R/E only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Patxipt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a crime flying R/E only?

As the subject says.

I've been flying my Easystar, rediscovering rc planes in the last month or so and getting my flying licence. I fly also my 40 trainer and a Minimag that was a sweet R/E before I cut the ailerons.

I don't want to ask this to my instructor or other guys, simply because I'll either get a dissertation on this subject or simply get mocked up.

I feel no need to do aerobatics that need aileron input, just a loop once in a while to break the monotony.

Thank you for any input
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 AM
sandal

Default RE: Is it a crime flying R/E only?

My Gentle Lady (2-meter R/E sailplane) is still one of my favourite airplanes. Some days I take out a "wilder" plane to do screaming low passes and aerobatics, other days I just want to cruise around. Different planes for different occasions. A friend of mine has a Blue Stick 20 (similar to the Balsa USA Sticks, only a little smaller), and we sometimes use it to tow the Gentle Lady. If you ask me, that is the definition of Quality Time.

I guess it boils down to: What do YOU want? Whatever you are happy with, is the right plane for you. After 15 years in this hobby, it still becomes clearer to me that fun isn't measured by the airplane's price tag or popularity. If the other guys at your airfield won't accept you unless you fly "their" style of plane, you could try to find a club where people will show you a little respect. In my opinion, people flying different types of planes is one of the things that make a club interesting - especially nowadays, with "everybody" flying 50 ccm YAKs and similar.

Fly without ailerons because YOU want to, and be proud of it. Your hobby, your way.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM
hulio516

2 good things about R/E airplanes are.....

You don't need a $3000 trailer to haul it in and you don't need an expensive radio with all the bells and whistles to fly it.

If you paid your club dues you have the right to fly what you want.

I've seen some guys fly their $5000 planes and about all they do is a loop or two also so whats the difference?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the benefit of some of us uninformed, what is R/E?

Is that Rudder/Elevator perhaps?

CGr
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 AM
hulio516

Rudder and Elevator without ailerons
Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Patxipt

Thanks guys, I feel really better.
I DO love to fly my Easystar r/e only on the slope, and the same goes with the minimag.
I fly to relax mostly, so I take your advice - fly the way I want and love.

Thank you very much from within my heart

Happy flying![8D]
Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 AM
CGRetired

Ah Ok. that's what I thought it might be after thinking about it a bit.

Thanks.

CGr.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:13 AM
hulio516

My last R/E was a goldberg falcon lll.

Had over 650 flights on it and it would not only loop but it would fly inverted, do rolls, spins and the funniest thing to watch was my full bore touch and goes....

Flew it 15 times one day on a single charge with an OS 40 and a 6oz. tank.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
goirish

Hey CG I thought it meant Real Easy.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
mclina

I would not feel bad about flying a R/E plane, and I certainly wouldn't think less of another pilot for doing so. Just enjoy flying and don't worry about it.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Steve Steinbring

I make attempts at pattern flying, and also fly a R/E glider thats just as much fun.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Patxipt you need make no apology to your instructor or anyone else for exploring other venues and segments of the hobby/sport. What you are doing is expanding and exploring not living with tunnel vision such as anyone who may mock you for not just sticking to their own little concept of the world.

As a next step heck try glow R/T rudder and throttle only. Even more interesting challanges and not easy. This is my 1957 Airco on rudder and throttle only and I love to fly it on occassion.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82015.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1142943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24786.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	1142944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53482.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1142945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91233.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1142946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41204.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1142947  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]My first plane was an old Senior Kadet that only had R/E for my first couple of lessons before David put ailerons on it. I've got a Vapor (indoor plane) that is only R/E that I fly in the street on calm days. Lots of fun...

Interesting thought there John on the Rudder and Throttle only..... am I correct... Rudder for direction, and throttle management for altitude? sounds dicey!!!!

Bev
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes BevThat was a common set up in the fifties actually there was a lot of rudder only. That airplane is a replica of my first successful RC airplane and at first this time around I flew it on rudder only but had to many near fly aways so later added a servo and changed engines to a vintage OS that had a baffle throttle. Rudder also contolled altitude based upon how steeply and how long you held a turn.

At one time AMA pattern contests had classes based upon the number of control surfaces you were using.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Bev: Speaking of R/E, did you ever get that Slow Poke 10 you were talking about some time last year? I still have mine, but haven't had it up this Winter.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
BountyHunter51

Fly what makes you happy.
I've got an E-Filite Jenny that is R/E and makes most every trip to the field. After a day of flying my fuel powered planes, it's nice to get the Jenny out after I pack up my other stuff. I've enjoyed it as much as any other plane in my fleet. Sometimes I've enjoyed it more.
I'll say it again. Fly what makes you happy. Cheers! BH
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
MetallicaJunkie

for me its a crime not to learn how use rudder when u have ailerons.... when i was a beginner i never used rudder(except in trainer spins) to help me turn or help line me up on the run way......i started flying aerobatics several years ago and it forced me to learn how to use all the control surfaces
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Skyhigh Bev

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

Bev: Speaking of R/E, did you ever get that Slow Poke 10 you were talking about some time last year? I still have mine, but haven't had it up this Winter.

NorfolkSouthern
[color=#FF0099]It's still in the attic awaiting my first total recover job...I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for reminding me...I could've been working on it during our "snow days" down here . I did get some "mystery brand" pink covering at our Flea Market about 6 months ago, and I now own an iron, so perhaps it's time to fiddle around with it. I do have an old OS 25 that I got at a Flea Market as well. Plus I have that spare bedroom that I have been converting to a hanger (does anyone have the phone number to AA...Airplanes Anonymous??? ) so now may be the time.

Thanks John, I hadn't considered the loss of elevation in turns as well.

Bev
Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Its your plane and your time, do what you like. I think it would be boring, but that's me. I am interested in getting a sailplane though.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Nathan King

Some of my own favorite flying memories are flying a friend's "old timers" for him (he was too nervous and wanted somebody to teach him R/E). They are a simple rudder/elevator setup. Get way up high until it's only a speck and cut the glow engine. Catch some thermals and glide down to the runway. My longest flight time was 27 minutes from engine cut off (35 minutes total). I also have a glider that is R/E. I use a high-start (giant slingshot) to launch to 400 feet.

It's a great break from flying my big, fast, and powerful pattern (competition aerobatics) aircraft.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was quite a number of models that I will call "heavy iron", that flew with rudder, elevator, and throttle. At the time (mid '60's), they were the state of the art in Class II competition, powered with .45 to .60 sized engines. About the only thing they couldn't do was knife edge flight.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
CGRetired

We have a pretty active SAM in our club, SAM-12 (Society of Antique Modelers). These guys are amazing! The aircraft they build are either kit or are built from a pile of balsa wood!! All engines are vintage. Neat stuff!!

http://www.antiquemodeler.org/

CGr.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
TedMo

Bev the AA number you want is 813 654 1363 Ha that's my number and Im just 83 yrs old so we bould make a great pair. Great to see a woman in this hobby.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: Skyhigh Bev

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

NorfolkSouthern
It's still in the attic awaiting my first total recover job...I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for reminding me...I could've been working on it during our "snow days" down here . I did get some "mystery brand" pink covering at our Flea Market about 6 months ago, and I now own an iron, so perhaps it's time to fiddle around with it. I do have an old OS 25 that I got at a Flea Market as well. Plus I have that spare bedroom that I have been converting to a hanger (does anyone have the phone number to AA...Airplanes Anonymous??? ) so now may be the time.

Thanks John, I hadn't considered the loss of elevation in turns as well.

Bev
Along with the pink mystery covering, you may want some light cream and black to add to the color scheme. I'm betting those three colors can style it like a '57 Chevy!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]Thank you for the compliment Ted. But I'm afraid you'd probably have to fight all the guys at my field to take me away from here...I seem to be quite spoken for!!!

Norfolk...I bet that would look cool...Now I've got my work cut out for me...I need mystery light cream and black.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.