Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

landing gear height

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

landing gear height

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
wvaborn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing gear height

Good Morning Guys and Gals"
What I would like to know is what effect the height of the landing gear makes as far as handling, etc. I know prop clearance is a consideration, but what about handling, looks, and does it matter if the plane has a slight rake to it? (nosewheel slightly lower than mains, on a tri-gear. ) Thanks in advance for all your input.
Norm (wvaborn)

To quote Toto: "I don't like what I 've become"
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: landing gear height

having the nosewheel lower is not a good idea. What can happen is: As you pick up takeoff speed, you're sitting at a negative angle of attack, so the air is holding the plane down. If you don't apply up elevator soon enough, you can pick up enough speed that as soon as the plane rotates, it can leap into the air and stall.

It should sit level or very slightly nose-up

As far as how long they should be: Long enough for prop clearance, but not so long that they become "Spindley" or they will bend too easily
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the nose wheel is too short and the plane sits nose down depending on the angle it becomes quite hard to take off.we used to have the nose sit abit lower so that the plane would take off once sufficient airspeed was achieved.it is easier to take off if the nose sits a bit higher than level.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Lnewqban

wvaborn:

I fly from tall grass; hence, I made my tri-cycle taller and my wheels bigger.

When it is too windy while taxing, there is more tendency to lift the upwind wing and flip the model.
Also when taxing and turning too fast in a short radius, the same happens.

If extended, the gears may need to be made stronger in order to keep the shape after rough landings, and also to avoid rebounds; however, keep the original distances from the CG to the wheel axis.

As stated above, keep the fuselage horizontal, and also avoid excessive squad of the main gear during landings.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/ftg...0/30main3.html
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to fly my pattern and fun fly planes off of some very rough fields with tall weeds so I had made up extra gear for all my planes with wire legs. I went about 2 inches longer. Worked OK on the nasty fields but when I went to hard packed places they wobbled a lot and tended to bend back a little on any landings that wasn't letter perfect.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
wvaborn
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks to all for the great help. Very informative, valuable info for me as a beginner.
To Inewqban: great websight you provided, very informative, stuff I didn't know. All beginners should read that one. Thanks again to all, I have asked a lot of questions here, have always gotten great ans. and help. You guys all provide a great service to our fine hobby.
Wvaborn

To quote Toto: I don't like what I've become
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this answer will be slightly different then the others so take your choice. When I flew pattern I found it to be beneficial to have nose gear slightly short thereby provideing a slight negative attitude when at rest. True it required a bit more up elevator to take off but more importantly it held plane down on landing because of the slight negative attitude. This was important for good solid landings which are important to complete a high scoring landing. Usually nose gears have some adjustment available for raising or lowering nose gear. Try both ways see how you like it. Make small adjustments and all will go well.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 AM
[email protected]

I thought I would share a valuable reference with you all. After all, when it comes to aircraft design, I believe we can all trust NASA. Sorry, I guess, for all the reading involved. But, it's free and it's correct. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1997056886.pdf
Have a nice flight. Gordon.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 AM
[email protected]

I thought I would share a valuable reference with you all. After all, when it comes to aircraft design, I believe we can all trust NASA. Sorry, I guess, for all the reading involved. But, it's free and it's correct. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1997056886.pdf
Have a nice flight. Gordon.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Falcons Cuz

Hi guys
i m from Pakistan and i m building my own rc plane at home i join this forum a few days later I complete my fuselage and wings now i m going to install engine and other electronic parts and i want to use second hand parts.Do you guys help me to buy proper size of engine,servo and electronics if i send pictures and information about the size and type of the plain i m building

waiting for your reply

hope you guys help me
Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM
farr301

Falcons Cuz,

What is the plane you are building?(please be a trainer) Everyone here will want to know because, like i did, someone will worry about how you could be building a scale warbird or twin or something.

Once you have provided the plane, and possibly a link to it's website, I'm sure everyone will quickly voice their opinions on gear to outfit the plane.

Farr301
Old 03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
carrellh

Falcons Cuz,

you'll probably get more responses to your questions if you start your own thread rather than being buried inside a "landing gear height" thread.

If you do not know how to start a thread, click this link to go to the first page of the 'Beginners' forum
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_85/tt.htm
Then click the 'NEW POST' button shown in the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72073.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1167822  
Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
opjose

wvaborn

Please keep in mind that if you make the landing gear taller, you will be adding additional leaver moment ( torsional forces ) to the gear legs at landing.

This could act to rip the gear out more easily on hard landings.