Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aileron Servos "hanging out in the wind"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aileron Servos "hanging out in the wind"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
blaughn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servos "hanging out in the wind"

I was considering whether to try to sneak a quick flight or two between showers today. Then I started thinking about the aileron servos. When I left the sport, 20 years ago, all the servos were out of the weather. Am I correct in assuming the servos are well enough sealed where getting caught in a rain shower will not cause a problem with water in the mechanism?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Servos "hanging out in the wind"

Chances are slight, but it could happen. You should be more concerned with water getting in your Tx gimbals. I've seen that short out a transmitter.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Villa

Hi blaughn
I have not noticed that sevos today are better sealed than they were 20 years ago. I would not fly in the rain.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing that seals the servos is a little bit of grease but they should be OK in a sprinkle.

I've flown in the rain and those little scud clouds that come by reduce the visibility to where your plane disappears so I don't know if that would be fun for you or not.

As far as water, I would worry more about the transmitter.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 AM
jib

Living in the Pacific Northwest our planes (like us) get wet periodically, but it's never so cold that we need to preheat the heads to get the engines fired up <grin>. I try to keep them out of real rain, but they have experienced sprinkles with no issues.

As w8ye states, the scary part is watching a plane disapear into a cloud or fogbank YIKES!!!!

Keep in mind, I started in the sport less than one year ago, but follow the lead of the experienced flyers at the field, but only a few of us (fools???) fly in the wet.

Jack
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I started flying, one of the oldtimers told me not to hold an antenna up when there's rain - unless I liked the idea of being struck by lightning.

Maybe ten years later, same oldtimer was at the field alone when I drove in. Rain was sprinkling, he was standing under the shelter (about 50' behind the pilot line) flying his Someth'n Extra. So, I guess it's okay if you're under the shelter...

Cheers,
Dave Olson
Old 03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful about being close to the truck or metal roof shelter when flying as it may effect the propagation of the radio waves and cause you to loose the airplane