Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A flightline protocol question??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A flightline protocol question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A flightline protocol question??

I was out flying my big stik today after visiting Mom, I was by myself all was well. During the second flight 3 cars full of people pull up to watch, they were all one family out for the day going to the park or something, they decided to stop when they seen the plane in the air. Normally I would not be there alone but I guess because it was kind of windy no one else wanted to fly today. Usually the guys are there and any one coming to watch is talked to by the guys in the pits. I was alone on the flight line with a plane in the air and I have kids wanting to come over and stand with me and several adults trying the same. I politely said I need to land and could you please get everyone behind the orange barrier thing.`The guy acted a little put out I am not sure about how the best way to handle this is.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
bonebreak

Default RE: A flightline protocol question??

Many people don't understand the extreme danger with a RC aircraft. I would have kindly told him the dangers associated with flying, and politly ask him to stand behind the orange line just in case. Once I landed, I would have gone further in depth about the dangers if they were still around. I think you did the right thing. After all, if something was to happen to him or his family, you would be liable. If you need to get stern for them to listen, then thats what needs to be done.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
GaryHarris

You did the right thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did the right thing, I would maybe mention this at the next club meeting about putting some basic signs telling people where they can and can't go, people still may not listen but at least if people are considerate, they would know.

Jon
Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Phoenixangel

I was very polite, and I did try to explain things to him after the landing he did not really want to hear it, he acted more like I was an idiot for trying to explain the danger involved. I was running low on fuel and HAD to land, I asked him on the original downwind leg, when he looked at me like I was an idiot I was forced to make 2 more circuits before he finally understood that I really needed his family to step back.

When I tried to explain everything he just got worse. I think maybe he was embarrassed because he was acting like I was telling him what he already knew. I just did not want anyone to get hurt, there was a 10mph+ crosswind blowing in my face so the plane wanted to drift at my friggin skull as it was. I think all of the other people were fine and most of them listened and asked a ton of questions about the plane and some of the kids want to come out on training night and give it a try. I think I was just confused by the situation and how he could have gotten upset, after thinking about it a while the guy was just a jerk.
Safety is more important than this dudes sensibility's.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
GaryHarris

Several years ago when I raced cars we had a guy with his 3 year son running around on the track. Despite all the warnings we gave the Dad, he wouldnt controll his son. I was running Mod buggy when I hit the boy about 3/4ths way down the straight-a-way. Since the straight was right under the drivers stand we couldnt see the boy at 30+ mph and I took him out. Luckily he only ended up with a bloody nose.

Planes are far more dangerous and if the guy copped an attitude, so be it! You did the right thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer
You did the right thing, I would maybe mention this at the next club meeting about putting some basic signs telling people where they can and can't go, people still may not listen but at least if people are considerate, they would know.
Jon
I second this!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
chashint

You handled the situation perfectly, no need to second guess yourself.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did the correct thing. I think some posted signs....when they are later ignored...would help you in court, too. Common sense apparently isn't common. Rich
Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Redback

No doubt that if an accident had happened the guy's story would change completely to "no one told me there was any danger".

Like everyone else said, you did the right thing.

Terry
Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Alex7403

I agree with the signs idea, from experience it would help a little and still you will to be the bad guy asking people to read the sign.
at some other field it was so chaotic that we stopped flying, packed everything and went home, didnt help.
insulting them and yelling at them wouldnt help either.

spectators are a problem.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

I was out flying my big stik today after visiting Mom, I was by myself all was well. During the second flight 3 cars full of people pull up to watch, they were all one family out for the day going to the park or something, they decided to stop when they seen the plane in the air. Normally I would not be there alone but I guess because it was kind of windy no one else wanted to fly today. Usually the guys are there and any one coming to watch is talked to by the guys in the pits. I was alone on the flight line with a plane in the air and I have kids wanting to come over and stand with me and several adults trying the same. I politely said I need to land and could you please get everyone behind the orange barrier thing.`The guy acted a little put out I am not sure about how the best way to handle this is.
this is why i dont like to fly alone. enough people stop (right by a highway) that is could be very dangerous. while flying you may as well be defenseless, someone could take you out easily. will it happen, no, but if for some reason a wacko decided to drop by you dont stand a chance.

most visitors are good at my field and they just stop about 100 feet from where im flying and watch the plane.
then ill land and i invite them over and show them the plane, let them ask questions ect. by that time you will understand the person's attitude and intentions.
i just hate it when someone walks right next to me, someone i dont know (visitor), when im flying. i usually walk a few feet away and say something like "1 second im almost out of fuel and im going to land"
if i hear them talking w/ club members and such i dont worry.

as i said. is this going to be a problem 99.9% of the time? no, but their are creeps in the world and you have to be aware.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: richg99

You did the correct thing. I think some posted signs....when they are later ignored...would help you in court, too. Common sense apparently isn't common. Rich
Signs and a gate like they have at Scobee field!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
KitBuilder

We have a sign that says only pilots on the flightline though I'm not sure if non flyers would know what means. We are also out of the way a bit so we don't get many drive bys. Though the one time we did have a visitor when i was there alone..... out he came past the flightline to the pilot stations we have set up while I was flying and the questions started. So I guess we need some better signage like:

Thank you for visiting today. For your safety, please do not cross the yellow line painted on the ground just past the shelters. If you have questions, please ask anyone NOT currently flying or working in the pit area with a running motor and they will be happy to discuss this wonderful hobby with you. If when you arrive, the only club member present is "flying" an airplane or helicopter, please be patient and wait for the member to land and shut off the motor. Thank you.

This is a bit much.. but then again.. maybe it's not.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Phoenixangel

We actually had a sign that went bye bye in a storm a couple of weeks ago, as well as half of the cover for the pit area (one 20x30 carport) . No one knows what happened to either.The fields in the area are being scoured.

I do not remember the exact wording, but for the most part it was " NO VISITORS IN PIT AREA WHILE ENGINES ARE RUNNING" and something like " PILOTS ONLY BEYOND ORANGE BARRIER" It was right where everyone could see it.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

You did the safe and right thing. Sometimes when asking people to do something it helps to give a reason. " I'm a little nervous landing this thing could you get everyone back ...."
Even if your not, it helps put the people at ease. It can be quite hard to think of such things while trying to fly.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: OzMo

You did the safe and right thing. Sometimes when asking people to do something it helps to give a reason. " I'm a little nervous landing this thing could you get everyone back ...."
Even if your not, it helps put the people at ease. It can be quite hard to think of such things while trying to fly.
i can agree with this. most people need a reason when you tell them to do something. to most people a little airplane wouldnt look to dangerous.
just give them a b.s. excuse like ^^^ or im not the greatest at landing so you might want to get behing the line/fence/ w/e or something that
make it about you not about them. that way you dont make them feel like idoits or what ever
then when its on the ground explain why these things can be dangerous
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Several years ago when I raced cars we had a guy with his 3 year son running around on the track. Despite all the warnings we gave the Dad, he wouldnt controll his son. I was running Mod buggy when I hit the boy about 3/4ths way down the straight-a-way. Since the straight was right under the drivers stand we couldnt see the boy at 30+ mph and I took him out. Luckily he only ended up with a bloody nose.

Planes are far more dangerous and if the guy copped an attitude, so be it! You did the right thing.
Phoenix, you did right. We actually had a couple walk up and just walk out to the runway and try to fly their kid's airhogs once. We were like WTCrap!? We told them they couldn't be out there, and they understood after we said something to them. We have a big yellow line and it says "Pilots only beyond this point" but you can't fix stupid.

Gary, I would have paid money to see that! Too bad it wasn't the dad that got the bloody nose, kid didn't know anybetter since his dad was so dumb.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
evilhorse

we had someone park a GORGEOUS 77 Olds Cutlass Supreme ON the Runway!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Korps

and this is one of the reasons we enjoy having our own little private field We do get some spectators once in a while - mostly my buddies dad (also my girlfriends dad) or the other partner of the farm. They usually come to watch now and again, but they understand the dangers etc. Then sometimes we get the children on the farm which comes during the holidays - they can sometimes be a handful due too them standing on the runway etc - but when we ask them they move. Before I started flying, apparently there was one child who threw stones at the plane in mid air[X(]. But this hasn't happened recently.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: evilhorse

we had someone park a GORGEOUS 77 Olds Cutlass Supreme ON the Runway!
Obviously he is being sarcastic, no one would be dumb enough to think a 77 cutlass was gorgeous.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
opjose

I do not remember the exact wording, but for the most part it was " NO VISITORS IN PIT AREA WHILE ENGINES ARE RUNNING" and something like " PILOTS ONLY BEYOND ORANGE BARRIER" It was right where everyone could see it.
Our says "No spectators in pit area at all times.".

The problem is that people coming to the field, do not know what the "pit area" is.

A better solution would be something that says, "Only Pilots permitted beyond fence".

I've had kids running onto the runway while I was attempting to land.

Needless to say that I gave a good yell for them to get out of there.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very polite, and I did try to explain things to him after the landing he did not really want to hear it, he acted more like I was an idiot for trying to explain the danger involved. I was running low on fuel and HAD to land, I asked him on the original downwind leg, when he looked at me like I was an idiot I was forced to make 2 more circuits before he finally understood that I really needed his family to step back.

When I tried to explain everything he just got worse. I think maybe he was embarrassed because he was acting like I was telling him what he already knew. I just did not want anyone to get hurt, there was a 10mph+ crosswind blowing in my face so the plane wanted to drift at my friggin skull as it was. I think all of the other people were fine and most of them listened and asked a ton of questions about the plane and some of the kids want to come out on training night and give it a try. I think I was just confused by the situation and how he could have gotten upset, after thinking about it a while the guy was just a jerk.
Safety is more important than this dudes sensibility's.
Well, Phonixangel, you have really done it now. Just you wait and about a year from now there will be a posting in the AMA or Clubhouse forums from this troop that really wanted to learn about RC flying, so he took his family out on Mother's Day and all there was at the field was this "Old Fxxt" that was bellyaching because he did not like visitors comng to his flying field and club. Then he will proclaim that he learned it ALL by himself, it was just TOO easy, and he will never bother with a club ever again.

Really P-A, you handled it much nicer than this Old Fxxt would have. Unfortunately ignorance is bliss and there is unlimited bliss in this world. Just watch the highways and the rivers and lakes in boating season/s. SOS, different days and places.
You paid respect and offered safe harbor. You did good.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Bdel

I am a newbie to the hobby, but have thought about this subject; mainly because as a bystander I have been tempted to ask questions, but had the common sense to stay back. Hopefully, will be flying soon. At first with my trainer and buddy box. This "flightline protocol" subject is important. Thanks.

Also, "Kitbuilder"- Go Gators!!

Bdel
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
evilhorse

it was nice and im not a fan of Garbage Motors. could be wrong bout the year.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.