Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Damaging Eyes?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Damaging Eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Damaging Eyes?

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

.....................maybe 'the little airplane thing' I was telling them about was not such a good idea....................
Good advice from everyone. But also, give up that little airplane thing.

Tom

Are you saying he should give up flying?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody tried plasma cutting glasses?  I tried some last year while practicing 3-pole pylon and they definitely are different.  The work great when you fly through the sun, but the color change is a problem, especially when colors blend together.  I want to work with them more this summer to see how they do, and they did take some getting used to.  I made sure I had a spotter with me during the flights when I was the only person flying and the field was empty except for me and my buddy.  These may be a possibility but will require more testing to determine their feasibility for RC flying.  My main concern is with the color change, some colors wanting to disappear, and getting two aircraft similar in color next to each other and keeping vision on the proper plane.

Hogflyer

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
prgonzalez

I have two pairs of Zurich's.  One is Rose tint that goes over prescription glasses and the second pair is the small type and is the dark gray tint that I use when wearing my contacts.   The dark gray is perfect for bright sunny days.  When driving in the car, I have problems seeing the radio's green LCD screen or GPS screen because they block a lot of light.  The Rose tint is less light restrictive and is a good for any day and different conditions.  The Zurich web site is right on the money about their recommended light conditions for each tint.

By the way, I bought on the Zurich's after my doctor told me that I have started to develop cataracts in the last five years and guess what I have been doing in the last five years?   yes, flying RC models.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

I have two pairs of Zurich's. One is Rose tint that goes over prescription glasses and the second pair is the small type and is the darkgray tint that I use when wearing my contacts. The dark gray is perfect for bright sunny days. When driving in the car, I have problems seeing the radio's green LCD screen or GPS screen because they block a lot of light. The Rose tint is less light restrictive and is a good for any day and different conditions. The Zurich web site is right on the money about their recommended light conditions for each tint.

By the way, I bought on the Zurich's after my doctor told me that I have started to develop cataracts in the last five years and guess what I have been doing in the last five years? yes, flying RC models.

Which one do you like for flying. I am going to get a pair but not sure which ones.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Adui

ORIGINAL: goirish

Which one do you like for flying. I am going to get a pair but not sure which ones.
Ditto, if Ican get my wife to let me spend the $$I want a pair that will go over m regular glasses. I have clip on sun glasses that are ok, but something with wrap around coverage would be 1000 times better I think.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI, Younger Optics makes a lens that is called "Drivewear", they are a photocromic sunglass lens( they change colors) and they are polarized as well. They are not like the Transition lenses that have been out for some time now ( generation VI ) that goes from clear to a mild tint- the transition lenses are NOT sunwear and dont get dark and are temperature sensitive, in other words, the hotter it is, the less dark transition lenses get and they do not change to dark while insidea vehicle, the Drivewear lenses really enhances colors, unlike a regular grey/smoke colored tint.
Ive got a pair of the drivewears that I use while flying as well as driving and I really like them.
John
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: brett65

It's called humor brett.

Interesting isn't it, how society belittles our hobby. gaRCfield, tell your eye doctor to give up golf and see how he likes it.

Tom

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

I have spent my entire life either in the sun,on the beach or near the water,surfing, fishing,out doors,I don't go anywhere without my Ray Bans.

I am all for function but for me there's got to be a little form as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1201951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19929.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1201952  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
riadh

I have the rose and blue tinted pairs that go over the prescription glasses. I tend to wear the rose tintedpair a lot more often than the blue one.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

ORIGINAL: brett65

It's called humor brett.

Interesting isn't it, how society belittles our hobby. gaRCfield, tell your eye doctor to give up golf and see how he likes it.

Tom

That's what I thought but there was no smiley face.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Trisquire

An eye doctor told me that sunglasses account for roughly 30% eye protection, and a hat (presumably the visor) accounts for another 30%.

Tom