Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How long can I fly

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How long can I fly

Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
aglaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can I fly

Hi! I have a Dynaflight Butterfly 3ch. powered glider that I like to take up really high and set the engine to idle and then see how long I can keep it up for.. I am currently using a standard futaba 600mah 4.8 battery for the RX.. How long can I safely stay up with this battery.. Im just running the 3 standard servos with the battery.. I have made multiple 10 min flights on a charge and the voltwatch says I still have full power. do you think it would be safe to stay up for 30-40 mins or is that pushing it? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How long can I fly

With a 3-ch glider? You could easily stay up 30 - 40 minutes
Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ditto what Mike said.

Ken

Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
aglaser

Awesome.. Thats just what iwanted to hear!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:10 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

If you know how to effectively hunt for thermals then you could probably stay up ther even longer then 40 min , I have flown for as long as 90 min on a single charge with the engine at idle , flying a 3 ch glider
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with 90 minutes at the upper limit.  Since it is a glider, you should have very low current draw.  Best way is to go for the 40 minutes, then test how much is left on the pack by discharging into a 20 ohm resistor.  When the voltage drops to 4.6 volts, stop the test.  It should go 40 minutes in the air and at least another 40 in the test.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

If you know how to effectively hunt for thermals then you could probably stay up ther even longer then 40 min , I have flown for as long as 90 min on a single charge with the engine at idle , flying a 3 ch glider
And trust me, the first time you get into a good thermal the plane just keeps going up and up you'll be hooked on it!!!!

That's what happened to me!!!!

Ken
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've thermaled a Goldberg Eagle 63 for over 15 minutes after the engine ran out of fuel.  I was on the downwind leg for landing when I found the thermal.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: aglaser

Hi! I have a Dynaflight Butterfly 3ch. powered glider that I like to take up really high and set the engine to idle and then see how long I can keep it up for.. I am currently using a standard futaba 600mah 4.8 battery for the RX.. How long can I safely stay up with this battery.. Im just running the 3 standard servos with the battery.. I have made multiple 10 min flights on a charge and the voltwatch says I still have full power. do you think it would be safe to stay up for 30-40 mins or is that pushing it? Thanks!

you will be tired of flying it before the battery runs out. if i had to guess, 1.5-2 hours till dead battery. what servo's do you have?
im thinking about getting that plane, is it worth it?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
aglaser

I really like this plane.. I have an OS 25 on the front and it pulls the plane aroundgood enough.. What I like most about the plane is it is SLOW.. I pull it out when i want to go flying with non r/c friends.. I take it up high, hand them the TX and let them have a go at it.. Most of my friends have no problem keeping this bird straight and level becaude of all the dihedral in the wings.. The only thing I would watch out for when building is the way the landing gear are installed.. on anything but a perfect landing, they push through the balsa fuse.. I fiberglassed where they rest on the fuse and havent had a problem since!