Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question - Why do we promote clubs?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question - Why do we promote clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM
russmhunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question - Why do we promote clubs?

I know I did this my way, but s far it is working.  I bought real flight g4.5 and played the s**t out of it, hit the flight failur button nearly every time.   I am no rc pilot legend, but I am doing fair my way.  I've tried to get help with expert pilots and they always try and get me to buy the stuff they have , or buy their planes.  I tried to fly this weekend and my motor was not running properly and after me messing with it about 10 min he came over worked on it about 5 minutes and said i don't know.  Hmmmmm  " expert  pilot flys 25% and larger planes didn't know"  packed up went home and worked on it about 5 minutes my self and perfect.  Took it out on my own and had a blast by my self.  I know the club is a good idea but  I am not dealing with no *******s, that think b/c they have 20 30 40 % planes  my little trainers are crap and I should sell it to them and buy their  acrobatic   planes they have laying around.  this is my own opinion.  There is 1 old man that helps me alot but I believe I out fly him now,  He has the knowledge and does not belong to any clubs either
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: skippyspad

ORIGINAL: Jamison31

I have belonged to three clubs in two states and all I ever here are negative comments coming from the mouths of jerks. "why don`t you get a real airplane" to one guy who flies electric. It`s almost like they want to drive people away and keep the "club" to themselves. And they could give two ****s about helping someone.Well, all of you can keep the "clubs", I`m done with them.
Jamison,
Maybe you should come up to Loveland. We have a separate strip just for electrics. It works great on weekends when the field is buisy.

This kind of ticks me off that there are clubs out there that seem to want topush people out.

Mike

Well seems to be quite the love feast for the sake of clubs , and i have to say if you are fortunate to have a club and you are welcomed and treated well then by all means go for it , however this is not always the case and I for one have been turned off of clubs , when i first strated I did as normaly recomened ......seeked out local clubs and instructors , I was either blown off by instructors that said they would be there only to never show up , sevral times with diffrent instructors , So I taught myself how to fly first on 3 channel gliders and then went streight to warbirds , all the time I would fly on weekdays (my day offs , a few times that I would fly and a local club member or two would show up I would be given the cold shoulder and either ignored alltogether or just just treated very poorly , I actually had one guy tell me that I was flying my 50 size Zero to fast and that if i couldn't fly in a more scale like manner that mabey I should just land ! I wasn't aware that there was a posted speed limit ? like the above posted said YOUCANKEEPYOURCLUBS, they have never been of any use to me

Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
jimgee1
My Feedback: (3)

I have seen newbies ignored at the field.  I have seen members shun some newbies.  This only happens when the newby shows "attitude."   No-one wants to take a person with a problem under their wing.. Almost always the new guy or gal is welcomed and treated with respect.. When they show respect in return they have a successful learning experience.. When they tick folks off..... that's another story.  Do unto others as they do unto you..
Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Sandmann_AU

For anyone that thinks $100 a year for membership in a club that offers all the facilities that folks have listed is excessive, try joining a golf club and see how much you pay! I'll take an RC club membership any day.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
dragon wing

recently discovered rc flight. i had buggys years ago but never flew. a freind and i went to the local club field oneday for a giant scale show and were welcomed at thegate and told to go rightin and enjoy. we parked and walked down the row of planes in awe. then we turned our att. to the runways. well groomed grass in both directions large enough for jets. we watched a few pilots fly their pattern then we were approached by a club member who told us all about the club and the ama required memberships. considering you get a maintained field away from people and homes, insurance just in case, membership to what seems like a freindly club, andtraining from an experiencedpilot the 200 dollars it cost to join both isn't bad at all. most other hobbies i have been into before the people were like little clicks and outsiders arent welcome. also if you dont have enough money to keep up on all the new tech. you were shunned. so the low cost and friendship here really appealed to me. i continued to talk to the guy for a while about the club and he even explained the moves in the patterns they flew. i finally found something i enjoy and a place with people i can get along with. then he asked me the plane i had and would like to fly there so i told him about the brand new plane i saved for, i have to save for most everything being a parent, it was a 150 dollar rtf 4-chanel trainer made out of foam so i could fix easily durring learning process. thats when everything changed, his face got tighter and he told me good luck and walked away.as we walked back by the row of planes we noticed that we must have been too busy drooling over them on the way in to notice most of the people we walked past were staring at us giving us dirty looks. i noticed a guy at the end of the row by himself with an older car and half the tools and such of the other guys and figured that was where my kind of people must go. wrongo. even the lower income half of the people looked down their nose at us. now im not a dirty street bum, i drive a 2007 silverado, own my own business and dress well enough, but i guess if you cant have all the latest greatest stuff, like most other hobbies, you dont belong. why is that? and i have read others report similar experiences with clubs in other places. doesnt seem to me like they want to support the hobby but rather the hobby shop. so i say in return to the question above, why do you promote clubs? so everyone who "cant affored the hobby" can be shunned and turned away to preserve it for those with money? im sorry for my longwinded whinning but every time i find something i enjoy this happens. why is it always haves and have nots? if my plane is safe and im not wreckless, offensive, or disrespectfullto other members shouldnt that be enough. i dont expect everyone to be my friend but maybe just one not look at me and my "cheap plane" with disgust. now i can spend the money to join but i would rather take my chances elsewhere.BTW, i not only havea truck, i also own a 2001 car, 2 fourwheelers, a boat and own my own home at the age of thirty. so i have alot oftoys to maintain thats why i cant affored more butithought i was a good candidate to be the "future of the hobby" guessill have to do this one alonealso.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Sandmann_AU

I can't say I like the guy's attitude and I like to think it wouldn't happen where I can fly, but I think I can explain what happened. Foamies are often seen as "toys" rather than "serious models". That's not to say that the "serious folks" who fly "serious models" don't also fly foamies but often it's as a bit of fun when everything's quiet at the field, or at a local park. They're known colloquially as "park flyers" and are a bunch of fun, but usually these little RTF planes don't have the range or speed that a more expensive plane would have, and it might be inappropriate to fly it at a club... much in the same way as it might be inappropriate to put a 50cc motor scooter onto a freeway. What the guy should have done rather than give you a snide remark is to explain that to you, and make some suggestions for other, inexpensive starting points that would be a little more appropriate for a club environment. If you have a look in the beginner's forum on this site you'll see lots of good suggestions for sturdy, easilly repairable training planes that have full range radios, and enough ability that they won't trip up the "big boys" who are sharing your airspace. Please don't let one arrogant git stop you joining in what is an addictive and social hobby.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM
russmhunt

know the feeling bro go get your self a simulator great planes g4.5 if you can afford it or even the older grat planes sim. Thats what I didfor about 2 months and went and soloed by my self still flying the bird today 6 months later
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
-pkh-

I flew my two Strykers at a club that has mainly guys with jet turbines and giant scale gassers. After they saw how fast, and how well my "foamies" flew, a couple weeks later a bunch of them had Strykers too! I like to keep my Strykers in one piece, but many of them now enjoy flying full contact combat with them!

When it comes down to it, all of our RC planes are just expensive toys for big boys. When you think about it, does it make sense that some guy who spent $2K - $10K on his "toy" plane has a right to criticize you for playing with your $100 "toy" plane? If you ask some of the wives, or someone not in this hobby, I think they'd think the guy that spent $2K-$10K was nuts.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Ithought I could put my 2 cents in this topic because I started in this hobby only a year ago. I am a college student who is required to do internships. Last year I got a great one about 8 hours from home. I was in PA. I had always been interested in planes and rc. I had gas trucks and other rc things. So when I went out to PA, I didn't know anyone or have anything to do after work. I decided one day after moving there to go check out a local club I had seen out there. It was max 15 mins from my apt. I went and stood int the background and watched a few guys fly. Then they came up to me and introduced themselves. Very nice guys. I explained my situation and they said that Tues and Thurs were training days. I could come out and fly with an instructor on a buddy box with a club trainer for free. Can't beat that so I said I would come out. I did and the instructor was very nice and he took off and had it going around and asked if I was ready. I took the plane, practically shaking nervous, and had in flying in circles in a few circles. I was hooked. They let me fly that plane a few times to get better for the price of fuel! again hard to beat that deal. Then I got my own plane, they help me set it up, maiden it and fly it. I soloed with that club and haven't looked back. I like clubs, however, the cost of the club often comes with an AMA membership, as most clubs require it. Clubs definately have their benefit if you find the right club. I had also visited another club in the same area that was maybe another 3 mins drive. While there I was basically ignored and the members didn't seem to want new members. I have seen both but in my experience most are good, and having the benefit of assistance, some really great people that are in this hobby,and a place to fly is definately worth the price. Maybe this will change as I grow in this hobby but I like watching other people fly as well as flying.

Thanks to any instructor out there. You guys save more time, money, and frustration than you can imagine.

What a hobby!
This club helped me get into this hobby when they knew there was nothing in it for them.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I was one who never belonged to clubs in the past as I had plenty of space to fly where I lived.  I have been flying R/C for more than 25 years, from Park Flyers to turbines.  After moving back to the twin cities area, I didn't have wide open spaces where I could make noise with my glow powered planes.  I started looking into the clubs around the area and went to a couple to check them out.  At one, I was treated very well but, at the other, I wasn't given the time of day.  Which one do you think I joined?  I enjoy going to the monthly meetings.  There is always some kind of program, from foam cutting to battery building, to painting and covering techniques.  There is also a Show-and-Tell segment and there are always 3-6 planes brought in for show.  Everyone I have met there has been extremely friendly and there is even an after-meeting event (pie and coffee at a local restaurant) where I learn even more about the people I fly with.  I even pick up tips and pointers there from people with WAY more experience than I have.  In addition, the club has activities going on at least 2 of four weekends a month, including GWS pylon racing (these are not your momma's park flyers) building contests, fun flys, r/c combat heats, etc.  The club has been in existence for more than 50 years so they must be doing something right.  The cost for the club is 65 dollars a year (100 dollars initiation fee) so, with my AMA license I spend, what, $120 a year?  That's cheaper than any of my other hobbies.  I understand the feelings of people who have had bad experiences with clubs and my answer would be, "try another."  We have five or six in this area.  I shopped around the same as shop around for anything else.   Bottom line:  I am glad I joined a club.  I am also glad I didn't get discouraged by the club I didn't choose and kept looking for one that fit me.

I guess that's more than $.02

Tim

Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dragon wing,

Sorry to hear of your negative experience. I've belonged to several clubs since the mid 70's and have run into a few instances of the "holier than thou" attitude. I too consider it a reason to not associate with that group. Just keep looking and you'll find a group you'll enjoy being around.

I was talking to a prospective student last night who is thinking of getting a small foam Cub RTF. I looked it up on the internet and we had a nice discussion about that plane, flying in general, how I like to instruct, and what is best for the area we live in. I explained to him the disadvantage of having a 21 ounce plane in the higher winds we have in south central Kansas, but told him what ever way he decided to go I'll still instruct him (stuff the LHS didn't tell him as they just wanted to make a sale). I'll start him on our club trainer and when he's to the point I feel he can handle his park flyer we'll start flying that. He said he really appreciated my taking the time with him and the fact I'm willing to take the time to teach him to fly. Just being friendly and letting people know I'm willing to help them get started has let to 7 people joining the club in the past year.

I fly a variety of planes from park flyers to pattern and pylon racers and feel it doesn't matter what you plane or how much it costs, its more important you operate it in a save manner around other people. I don't care what you like to fly - if you come to the field looking for help I (and several of my fellow club members) will be glad to help you out.

Hogflyer
Old 06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
dragon wing

thanks for the concern guys but i dont give up that easy. in fact since then my 10 year old got interested in them and saved the money for her own plane so the two of us are learning together in an empty developement nearby. two solos so far with no crashes, thanks to simulator and info i got by reading forums. i also found two more clubs within 35 min. from home to try out, maybe one of them will be a little better. as for the foam plane being a toy, my friend that came with me that day had a used hobbico nitro trainer and he got a simular response to his used plane. but i guess in their deffense no-one said we couldnt join and use the field we just wouldnt have any friends there. it was a veeerrryyy nice place to fly.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
MarksHangar

Wow! Talk about bashing those who help! As a former Intro Pilot Trainer and a current AMA member and local flying club member, I hate to see so many who hate those who have helped countless numbers to learn to fly. Yes, there are always those jerks in every hobby that see just how much they can make off of others, but they are few and far between. You need to see the other side of the fence, so to speak, before you trash those who reach out to new folks in the spirit of helping. Too many times folks show up at the field with some junk that they bought off of ebay and expect someone to fix it and teach them to fly. We recently had a person show up with a F15 turbin powered jet that he bought off of ebay, and yes, he expected someone there to teach him to fly it. HA! Talk about safety issues and a good way to loose a flying field! And there are those who show up and think that they can fly if you just show them how to start the engine and off they go. Those folks seem to never listen to the instructor and you just have to cut them loose and head for the shelter where it is safe. Oh, did I mention that the club provides that shelter were it is safe to run to? Did I mention that the club cuts the grass so you can fly? Guess those tables in the pilot area just rolled up one day from WalMart? Well, guess by now, all you bashers are getting hot over what I have to say here, but stop whinning and go make your own place to fly if you can't stand to be part of a good club that offers services, advice, help, and training for new flyers.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Jamison31
My Feedback: (101)

ORIGINAL: jimgee1

I have seen newbies ignored at the field. I have seen members shun some newbies. This only happens when the newby shows "attitude." No-one wants to take a person with a problem under their wing.. Almost always the new guy or gal is welcomed and treated with respect.. When they show respect in return they have a successful learning experience.. When they tick folks off..... that's another story. Do unto others as they do unto you..

ONLY AFTER "ATTITUDE" IS SHOWN TO ME. It might beall the retired Pilot arrogance/swagger that I can`t stand. I had to put up with that type enough in my life. (I`m an A&P)
Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Jamison31
My Feedback: (101)

ORIGINAL: mtledford

Wow! Talk about bashing those who help! As a former Intro Pilot Trainer and a current AMA member and local flying club member, I hate to see so many who hate those who have helped countless numbers to learn to fly. Yes, there are always those jerks in every hobby that see just how much they can make off of others, but they are few and far between. You need to see the other side of the fence, so to speak, before you trash those who reach out to new folks in the spirit of helping. Too many times folks show up at the field with some junk that they bought off of ebay and expect someone to fix it and teach them to fly. We recently had a person show up with a F15 turbin powered jet that he bought off of ebay, and yes, he expected someone there to teach him to fly it. HA! Talk about safety issues and a good way to loose a flying field! And there are those who show up and think that they can fly if you just show them how to start the engine and off they go. Those folks seem to never listen to the instructor and you just have to cut them loose and head for the shelter where it is safe. Oh, did I mention that the club provides that shelter were it is safe to run to? Did I mention that the club cuts the grass so you can fly? Guess those tables in the pilot area just rolled up one day from WalMart? Well, guess by now, all you bashers are getting hot over what I have to say here, but stop whinning and go make your own place to fly if you can't stand to be part of a good club that offers services, advice, help, and training for new flyers.
Your not talking to some ignorant noob here paco.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
ZERO-322

Clubs are great and can be ! however , like myself some have never had the experience , not that it wasn't sought out , just didn't work out that way , there are two sides to every coin .....and its not all wonderfull and rose peddles like some of you think , jerks can exist anywhere.... this hobby is not imune , I would help anyone that asks me , but I did not recive this warm wecolme to our hobby let me help you ......that I read so much of , none the less we should help each other as often as possible , and clubs are a good way to seek that out (just not the perfect situation for everyone all the time )
ORIGINAL: mtledford

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
ZERO-322

there was no attitude given I was ignored mostly , when i asked for help I was politely dismissed , when i asked if an instructor would help me I was told that he was there to fly his own stuff that day , but he would make time for me another day , (never happened ) another instructor scheduled a day and time kept me there for an hr and half never showed (blew me off) so i decided to teach myself , went pretty well and have been flying ever since
ORIGINAL: ZERO-322

ORIGINAL: skippyspad

ORIGINAL: Jamison31

I have belonged to three clubs in two states and all I ever here are negative comments coming from the mouths of jerks. "why don`t you get a real airplane" to one guy who flies electric. It`s almost like they want to drive people away and keep the "club" to themselves. And they could give two ****s about helping someone.Well, all of you can keep the "clubs", I`m done with them.
Jamison,
Maybe you should come up to Loveland. We have a separate strip just for electrics. It works great on weekends when the field is buisy.

This kind of ticks me off that there are clubs out there that seem to want topush people out.

Mike

Well seems to be quite the love feast for the sake of clubs , and i have to say if you are fortunate to have a club and you are welcomed and treated well then by all means go for it , however this is not always the case and I for one have been turned off of clubs , when i first strated I did as normaly recomened ......seeked out local clubs and instructors , I was either blown off by instructors that said they would be there only to never show up , sevral times with diffrent instructors , So I taught myself how to fly first on 3 channel gliders and then went streight to warbirds , all the time I would fly on weekdays (my day offs , a few times that I would fly and a local club member or two would show up I would be given the cold shoulder and either ignored alltogether or just just treated very poorly , I actually had one guy tell me that I was flying my 50 size Zero to fast and that if i couldn't fly in a more scale like manner that mabey I should just land ! I wasn't aware that there was a posted speed limit ? like the above posted said YOUCANKEEPYOURCLUBS, they have never been of any use to me

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had a great experience with the club I am in. Mostly good guys who are willing to help those who are willing to learn, and a few guys who go above and beyond. I've had guys tell me that my equipment wasn't good enough, and they were right. I've also been told repeatedly that my flying technique isn't right and how to improve. I listened, and now fly a good plane and do so safely. I've had some guys that acted like I was a nuisance to them also. But I got over it because I understand that some guys just want to fly and socialize with their buddies and not mess with a new guy. I have saved at least 3 times the cost of my membership in repairs and have likely saved 2 years in learning time. I have started volunteering as a trainer to give back to the club and also volunteer at events when I can.

There seems to be an expectation that club dues pay for training, advice, help, friendly faces, courtesy and gratitude, in addition to the facility. The truth is, dues barely cover the cost of the facility in most clubs. The extra stuff is done by members on their own time to assist the club and some new flyers. Anything they do for you is a favor, so nobody has the right to gripe if club members aren't johnny on the spot with help. An RC club is not a business, and you are not a consumer. A club is just that- a club- and members expect fellow members to act as equals.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
russmhunt

I bet this thread is gonna be here awhile.  Throw this in there with politics and religion,  That's the good thing about america freedom to speak your mind, and make your own choices.    "MY OPINION"
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I am always a little put off by people who say that if an individual can afford an RC airplane, he can afford to join a club and the AMA. That just simply is not true. I am sure there are folks who desperately want to fly who can somehow scrape the money together to put a plane in the air a couple of times a month but can't afford the extra hundred or two hundred dollars for the club and AMA. Come on folks, there are people out there who have very little money but the same desires as the guys who $200.00 means nothing to. Hell, it's home owner's insurance that is going to pay for an accident anyway, not AMA. I've asked the question in this site a couple of times if anyone had personally collected a penny from AMA and have never had a response. Everybody "knows" someone who has collected from AMA, but nobody has actually done it.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM
thrawn150

I started in the hobby two years ago and fly nothing but electric 40 size or better planes. I would not have succeeded if it were not for the club I joined. They also have alot of events each year that are fun, such as Military show, Pylon racing and of course combat.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
-pkh-

There are all types of guys at most clubs. Some guys have plenty of free time, and enjoy BS'ing and helping out newbies that show up. Others have very little free time, and just want to get some flying time in before they leave in an hour. Some guys are pretty friendly, others, not so much! Remember, everybody there pays their dues to support the club, and nobody there is a paid employee that is supposed to help newbies out when asked. You need to find the guys that want to help you out, and have a personality type that you can get along with. Don't let the unfriendly types put you off, almost every club will have them.

In general, the larger, more active clubs are more likely to have several designated instructors. Many of these guys plan to come to the field and spend at least some of their time training newbies. Some clubs may even have "training days" once a week or once a month. If you look up clubs in your area using the AMA search engine, look for clubs that participate in the "Intro Pilot" program. It's not necessary that a club's instructors participate in this program, but if a club has designated some of its instructors as "Intro Pilots", then they certainly have designated instructors to help train newbies.

Get the names of the club's instructors, contact them, and make appointments with them to meet at the field and fly. Don't expect to just show up at the field and get help. On a busy weekend, at some of the larger clubs, you will probably get lucky and find an instructor willing to help, but don't expect it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
redfox435cat

after seeing a friends house burn down becuase a noob wanted to do it alone,since then I have no qwaums shaming someong for being cheap in not joining a club for trainning. I don't care if they stay or not, weather they like to people or not. I'm intersted in them getting trainning and learning to fly correcly and safely, allot of newbe especially those who want to do it alone just to show up guys like me are the ones who don't take the danger of these things seriously. Unless you have 20+ acres of your own and thats mostly the case,I find it would be totaly irresposible for any seasoned pilot to give a newbie full support to go out and fly any model over a lb on there own. Then when Ihear about someone take a 40 sized nitro sport plane with no experiance trying it alone it really pissses me off.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

You do not need to be a member of a club to have insurance. If you are an AMA member, not violating the safety code, you have their insurance.
Are you sure about this?
I thought that in order to be covered by AMAinsurance, that you had to fly at a flying site that has been approved and sanctioned by the AMA.

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

ORIGINAL: carrellh

You do not need to be a member of a club to have insurance. If you are an AMA member, not violating the safety code, you have their insurance.
Are you sure about this?
I thought that in order to be covered by AMAinsurance, that you had to fly at a flying site that has been approved and sanctioned by the AMA.

Jim

Absolutely true. You do not need to be at an AMA club field.

But if you haveany wealth to protect at all , or if you have the potential for wealth, you should consider flying at an AMA club feild. TheyARE cheap. You can't tellanyone in this hobby that100 bucks is too much fora good safe place to fly. Thats just crazy talk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.