Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

after run oil / no after run oil?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

after run oil / no after run oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after run oil / no after run oil?

Ok I've heard some say yes, and some say no, so lets hear advantages and disadvantages of using after run oil.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: after run oil / no after run oil?

I think you will still hear yes and no here as well. My take is this; we all know that alcohol fuels are corrosive to metals. And we know that dis-similar metals such as aluminum and steel , both found in our engines, will accelerate the oxidation process when in contact and in corrosive conditions. ( the ball bearings will rust).

I've tried running after run oil before and the results were mixed. It didn't hurt, But it didn't signifigantly reduce the occurance of corrosion. What did have a greater effect was starting my engines after defueling the tanks and then running the engines completely dry, ( or as dry as I could get them). That is key. No amount of after run oil is going to help you if your engines have a crank case full of fuel. So, no matter what you decide, you should realize that running the engines dry is as effective as using after run oil and not running them dry. Running them dry and then using after run oil is the most effective.

Some fuels claim to contain afte run oil. Well, the engine should still be run dry to burn off the alcohol.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

Ok I've heard some say yes, and some say no, so lets hear advantages and disadvantages of using after run oil.
I have ran methanol and a tad of nitro since 1969 . I started with my Taco 44 mini bike in 1969 and in 1971 with my Yamaha Mini Enduro. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never use it in a YS engine!!! That is etched in stone.
Any other engine it's pretty much what Pilot said. Idon't live in a place that I don't fly at least once or twice a month all year long so long winter storage is not really a problem, there is really no humidity so moisture is no big deal.
However, I just pulled one of my engines out that I had cleaned with straight alcohol over a year ago and put away dry, the bearings were dry like dust when I rolled it over. I shot the engine full of mystery oil and that smoothed it out right away.
From now on all my engines that have been cleaned will get a load of mystery oil or after run shot into them before I give them there toss under the bench!!
As far as normal use goes, nope, never bother with the stuff. Just run the engine dry at the end of the day.
On the other hand, it doesn't hurt anything if you want to use it.
See how that works, just like pilot said it would.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 PM
redfox435cat

For normal use I don't use it. As said just run the engine dry. I use it in two situation

If I don't plan on running the engine for more than a month I'll work some through it. Which usually only happens after a good crash since we can fly all year

The other is during and after a total tear down and reassemble/rebuild which I do on all my 2-strokes about once a year. That's mainly to dilute the rubbing achohol and carb cleaner. Haven't gotten brave enough to tear appart a 4-stroke, then again they all run so damn good I heven't seen a point to.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't use it at all. However, I do run Cool Power fuel that has a little bit of after-run oil in the fuel blend.

Ken
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Sounds good, no harm in using it. I have several planes that set for times, so a little air tool oil won't hurt. I always run engines as dry as I can after flying, at the field before I load them in the trailer.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

I have used it for more years than I would like to think about. Never had an engine sieze or rust inside. Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Irun some into my OS52 FS after use. Also run all my engines dry. Probably benefits my peace of mind more than anything, but a little extra protection never hurts. I also add some castor oil to my 15% Cool Power.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I used after run every day for an entire (first) season, and ended up with rusty bearings and a rusted wrist pin.

I don't use the crap anymore. If I get more rust  I will switch to stainless bearings.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
TideFlyer

gaRCfield, what were you using? You seem to insinuate that the ARO actually promoted the rust(?).
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Requirements are quite different between 4 strokes and 2 strokes.   Running a 4 stroke dry does little if any good in preventing the corrosion caused by nitro in the fuel and possible rust, you can not run their crankcase dry like you can a 2 stroke.  With the exception of the gaskets ( O-rings) used in some OS engines, after run oil will never hurt anything and will very possibly help prevent some corrosion.  You do not have to buy that expensive after run oil either, just use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) as it is much cheaper and does just as good a job.  If using it in a 4 stroke, putting it into the carb or exhaust will not do much good either.   You must get it into the crankcase and not just a drop or two, at least a teaspoon full.  This involves a bit more effort, insert it through the crankcase vent.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use regular marvel mystery oil for long term storage as it evaporates to form hard red crud.   It is Ok for short term.  I run my engines dry, with some castor in the fuel.  I use Rislone when I feel like it.  Rislone works for long term storage.  Rislone the engine up, throw it in a drawer, take it out 10 years later and go fly.  I'm talking two-cycle here. 
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Kodiac400

I use it only if my rc's are going to be parked for a while.  Its just a bit more insurance that my engine will last a bit longer. But this is the age old debate that gets both pro's and con type answers. For the cost of the after run  oil to me its worth it.

Later
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I only use after run oil in 2 strokes if I know the engine will not be run for months eg combat engines and pylon race engines at the end of the season. I run them on 0% nitro fuel for a couple of minutes pull off the fuel line to run them dry then add oil.

4 Strokes are a different story I use after run oil if I know the engine will not be used for 4 weeks or more. Then I oil. I have had bearings go rusty however even on this regime.

I run on 5% or 10% nitro 16% synthetic oil 2% castor.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Rforce1

I just run em dry at the field.  They only get oil if they will be sitting for more than a month. 
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

I started out using it but when I heard it can deteriorate the o-rings in the carb if injected through it, and that you need to inject it into the engine, I stopped, as the fuel I use, Cool Power, has some in it anyway.  It is recommended though!

Here's what my OS manual says under Engine Care and Maintenance:

Finally, inject some after-run oil into the engine.
Rotate the engine a few times by hand, to make
sure that it is free, and then with an electric starter
for 4 to 5 seconds to distribute the oil to all the
working parts.
Do not inject after-run oil into the carburetor as
this may cause the O-ring inside the carburettor
to deteriorate.
These procedures will reduce the risk of starting
difficulties and of internal corrosion after a period of
storage.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
RVman

Depends where you live I think.  I don't run the engines dry or use after run, heck I don't bother pumping the fuel out of the tank and have never had a problem with rust for what its worth.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: RVman

Depends where you live I think. I don't run the enginesdry oruse after run, heck I don't bother pumping the fuel out of the tankand have never had a problem with rust for what its worth.
Ithink your onto something here. I have always lived in Calif. or Navada and not really had any problems with rust even if I do or don't run the engine dry or use after run. Ido remove the fuel out of my tanks though but it's just beacuse Itransport my planes in my van and don't want the leakage or stink, it is a nice van. Ilived in the mountains in Calif. and there was moisture but nothing like in the mid west or east coast. I stored everything in an outdoor shop with no heat or air and never even got moisture in my opened fuel cans. It did get cold with rain and snow but nothing like a lot of the guys here go through. With an almost all year flying season my planes/engines got used a lot more then the guys in other states too.
Idon't know how much AR helps but other then minor problems with it I don't see a lot of harm either. If it gives someone piece of mind then go for it. It only harms rubber and our O-rings aren't rubber so no big deal.
YS has some parts in the regulator that do not deal well with petro products and should not be used!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

My opinion:  If you use a castor based fuel you don't need after run oil because the castor gums up and protects.  I had two engines sit eight years, totally locked up by ancient castor oil, and after disassembly and soaking in fuel they're as good as new.

I've been using Cool Power for the past three years.  Ask me again in ten years.   

Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Adui

My take is simpler. I ruined a motor (Well my instructor thought the motor was junk to begin with) when I first got into the hobby.

A) I didnt run it completely dry because I expected tobe back out in a week or less.
B) I didnt put the oil in as taught because i expected to be out in a week or less.
C) due to weather, schedule conflicts, and my own stupid laziness I did not get out for close to 6 months.

Started the motor and it rattled like a pop can full of rocks. Spit rusty colored goo out the exhaust and had zero power. Culprit: Ball bearings in the motor were rusted to the point of being ruined.

Method ever since: I run Omega 10% now (Started with 15% but I didn't notice a real difference with 10 so since its cheaper I use that now) After EVERY SINGLE flying day I run each motor completely dry and cycle two to three carb throat fulls of after run oil into the engine.

Over kill I know, but guess what? Even in Oregon where it gets pretty wet my engine stored for 5 years while I stepped away from the hobby, and after a good soaking to get the gum out she fired up like the day I mounted her on the plane. My engines both fire like new now, even with all the abuse I give them from my inability to properly tune them. (Well ok they are tuned well enough and I deliberately run rich because I am afraid to run lean)

I had a fellow the other day tell me I wasnt supposed to use the oil every time, and my fuel said so. I pointed out that it was how I was taught, and my engines all run fine so why fix it if it aint broke?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM
downunder

I use an ARO oil all the time but put it in with my fuel. It's called castor oil .