Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will I ever need more than 6 channels?

Even with dual elevator and dual aileron servos, the count comes to 6 channels. 

There are not many beginners that will be flying high performance, 3D, or pattern planes in their first year to two of flying RC.  Most of the time spent in that time is learning to tune an engine and trim for level flight, then just plain learning to fly.  I know, there are exceptions, but very few.

There was no one more interested in flying RC than I was and I never needed more than 6 channels in my first several years of flying.  I tried Pattern and found that I just didn't want the discipline needed for that type of RC flying.  I much preferred to fly and enjoy myself rather than to dedicate my entire flying time to trying to perfect a loop or a roll.  And, I was never interested in 3D.  So it is with most of the beginners in this hobby.  Not many beginners with just a couple of years flying RC has enough experience to make that sort of decision or recommendation, which is what I imagine, led to the original poster and his question.

Although I have a DX7, the receivers are never filled, well, that's somewhat of a lie because I do put two batteries and a voltwatch, but those are not control channels, and I could Y up any or both of those, so the extra channels were just not necessary.  I also own a DX6i which is more than adequate for any and all of my planes.

There is also the problem of getting to much radio and having the thing be so complex that a beginner just can't cope with it and gets discouraged quickly with the advanced options available.  Most reasonably priced radios, meaning anything under, say, $350 or so, are 6 or 7 channels and that's plenty to start out with.

If, though, you wish to go with all the bells and whistles.... retracts, flaps, dual elevator and aileron servos, bomb  drop, whatever.. then you will more likely pay a lot for the model.. so if you can afford that, you can probably afford a 10 channel radio.   But I imagine that won't happen in the first year or two.

CGr.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

""It seems to me after reading this thread that the meaning of "NEED" and want or use are being swapped.""

I would like to point out that there is nothing in this hobby that we "NEED", it is purely all WANT.

As for being able to get the mixes you want with 6 channels, depending on the radio, you may not be able to. There are also some hidden little abilitys in the higher channel radios. An expample is that I got my son a 6 exa? setup a couple years back. Last fall when I went out to visit, I took along an old 4ch Conquest and a buddy cord. NONE of the end points expo or sub trims worked on the 6exa when the old Conquest was the trainee box. However, when I was on the buddy box, I used that same Conquest with the 9CAP supper that I bought. Every sub trim, end point, expo, you name it that was programed into the 9C for the plane worked when the student was on the Conquest.

My recomendation is this. Buy the best you can afford. It will save you from buying a new TX ever year or two. It's better that you are still trying to figure out how to use the stuff on your TX than trying to figure out how to get it to do something you wish it could do.

This argument goes in the same bag as Castor vs Synthetic, Volt Watch vs Exapnded Scale Meter, Nitro or electric, and I'm sure that there are others. As a new guy, realize that there many ways, methods, and opinions of how to do just about everything. Most will work. Some better than the others, and a few not at all. Just sort out the bunch and see what you like and go for it.

Don
Old 06-16-2009, 04:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanna see something funny?

What do these airplanes have in common?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
hogflyer

All but two have a wheel out back where it belongs, and that stick is cheating - it has a training wheel on it.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM
MinnFlyer

Give that man a cigar

Actually, the answer I was looking for is:

They all require a FOUR channel radio
Old 06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
CGRetired

Wait a minute.. I saw one with NO wheels on it.  What's with that? 

Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
CGRetired

Well, Don, it may come down to that, but I can't see a beginner trying to figure out an Airtronics Stylus or a JR XP9303 radio without considerable help.  That leads to frustration and often just dropping the hobby blaming it on complexity.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

That leads to frustration and often just dropping the hobby blaming it on complexity.

Exactly
Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
rgm762

Bonza is your head swimming yet? as a fellow newbie I know mine is, someone made the suggestion to go to a club and watch, and someone said keep it simple, you can also watch some excellent videos here on RCU or you-tube, see where your interest lay. I don't know if your aware yet as to what all you can put on a plane, as far as channels go, 1) ailerons, 2) elevator, 3) rudder, 4) throttle, then come the options, 5) flaps, 6) retracts, 7) smoke, 8) camera, 9) bomb drops, 10) engine cut off, 11) choke, 12) sliding canopy, 13) lights, 14) rotating gun turret and then all the dual servos mentioned before, and more that you can do, so see where your interests are first, most people a my club have either a 6 or 7ch
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I say a six channel is great but Ihave a jr7202(same as DX7) which is a 7channel. I have never used the 7th channel but the radio has a little bit more functions without being overly complicated. I fly mostly 40/60 size planes and it works great, and Ido have 150 sized Staggerwing that I only use six channels on, but when I put retracts on it Iwill have to finally use that 7th channel. Ialso fly a centry hawk pro that Ionly use 6 channels on. I would say that DX6 is great for now and after a few year you may want to upgrade to a 7 channel.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
brainox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i normally see 6ch aircrafts. planes, helis.. but i think i've seen one 7ch radio. in skyartec thread i think.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I think everyone would prefer a multi-feature radio over a simple 4-6 rig.  It's a matter of cost, and economics always is a primary consideration for most of us. 

But many guys never use simple programming features like dual rates and exponential even though almost all basic radios have it.    Not sure if that means they are "learning to fly the airplane first" or not.  Dual rates, expo, mixing, etc, make you a better pilot.  If you want to make progress in the hobby, those parameters should be explored.  I flew without them from 1970 to 1990, primarily because they weren't available.  Trust me, flying and the hobby are better with them than it was without them. 

If you are happy with a four channel five servo aircraft, that's cool too.  The best thing about our hobby is that it's OUR hobby, or maybe better said, it's MY hobby, and we can all do what we want to do.  Again, limited by money and space in the workshop, or lack of it. 

Get the best radio you can afford.  They all seem to be good.  I flew Kraft, then Futaba, now JR, and I liked them all.  Whatever you do, have fun, and enjoy the hobby at whatever level makes you happy.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Airtronics RD series are about the simplest radios to figure out. 

I have an OLD Global Lucky stick 40.  It has a magnum .46 on the nose and is flown by an Airtronics VG6DR radio.  The total list of features are: Dual rates and servo reversing.  That has worked for a long time.  When I hear some one say they want simple, thats about as simple as it gets.

I flew my Goldberg Cub with a VG4 radio.  just servo reversing.  Never let me down.  Now that a lot of planes are coming with dual aileron servos, I am using flaperons more and more.  I would not be able to do that with one of my old friends.  Setting up end points and dual rates, with a aileron rudder mix.  Maybe throw in a throttle elevator mix.

The newer radios give you so many more options.  The cost of the RDS8000 is just about $20.00 more then what I paid for the last VG6DR I bought.  The Vanguard 6 channel were going for $99.99.

I have come up to the limit of my 8 channel with a sail plane.  It had dual aileron servos, air brake, tow release, rudder and elevator.  Throw in flaperons and mixing the air brakes with the flaps I am sort of at it limit.  So no matter what radio you get, you may find you need just a little more .

Get the most radio you can.  That is not an area to skimp on.  You will not out grow it, even if it is a basic 4 channel radio, you can always find a plane for it.  teh longer you fly, the more radios and planes you will get.

A 6 channle will servo you well.  It comes down to how much you want to spend and what features you really must have.  This can go on and on.  Each point from all the posters is from what they have run into setting up planes and helicopters.  I sort of thought it was over kill to fly a $4.00 foam plane with a $80.00 motor gear box, $3.00 servos, $12.00 lipo battery and my RDS8000.  I used only 3 channels of the Rx.  It was a rudder, elevator and throttle setup.  I also use the RDS8000 in 3 of my helicopters.  It is a versitle radio. 

I strated my brother in law off with a RDS8000.  He knew he was going to get a plane in the future that had retracts and flaps.  So that is where he started.  He has bought a Vanguard 6 channel on sale for $99.99 so he has two radios now.  He can program the RDS8000 and the Vanguard with esae.

Spend some time reading about the radios.  All of the radios today made by the big companies, make what I would call a bad radio.  The quality of the newer radios is so much better then when I started with EK logic, Kraft, Heath kit. Hard to pick a bad one.

Dru.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Give that man a cigar

Actually, the answer I was looking for is:

They all require a FOUR channel radio
Ahem.... going by your picture... and my planes...

My Funtana

2 channels for the elevators
2 channels for the ailerons
1 for throttle
1 for rudder

My Skybolt

1 channel for the elevator
1 for throttle
1 for rudder
1 for smoke system

My Showtime
2 channels for the elevators
1 for throttle
1 for rudder

etc...

Giant Big Stick 5-6 channels
50CC reactor 6 channels plus

CGRetired:

I've never seen anyone become discouraged about the complexities of higher channel number radios.
The biggest transition problems seems to be going from 4 to 6 or 7 channels as they learn the ins and outs of TX programming.

I get all the newbies coming up to me to help them setting up mixes with their 7+ channel Futabas and DX6's and DX7's.

Once they have mastered even rudimentary mixing, having more channels just makes things EASIER for them, not more difficult.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Well, Don, it may come down to that, but I can't see a beginner trying to figure out an Airtronics Stylus or a JR XP9303 radio without considerable help. That leads to frustration and often just dropping the hobby blaming it on complexity.

There is some truth to that. When I got the 9Csuper as my first TX in 30 plus years, I was a bit intimidated with it all. And I had built my last TX, Receiver, and all servos from components.

Then it dawned on me, as it came out of the box and if I did nothing to it, ignored all the extra switches and knobs, I had a basic 4 channel radio in my hand that I could grow into. After a bit of flying, still with the instructor, I found I could kill the engine by flipping a switch. Then I found other things. I still am not a master of the radio by any means, but I've never been sorry since two days after I got it. In fact, I ended up a month or two back getting a 10C. I wanted to get into 2.4 and with the deal going on that gave you a second receiver for free, it turns out that the TX, body only, cost me $50 over what the 2.4 rf module and two recerivers would cost.

I know what you mean also about the JR or Airtronics being complicated. Even after three years of flying the 9C, I look at trying to program one of them and would take me for ever to pick it upl

One more thing though, most of the young guys are not intiminaded by much. It's us retired guys that have the most trouble with the complexity. It's not that we can't as much as we don't want to take the time to learn something new. I've got a couple guys I fly with who flat out refuse to touch a PC. These are guys who were engineers in avaiation and space compaines. It's not that they can't figure out the PC, they just don't want to. The kids today have grown up with Xboxes. and all the wild games. Complexity is nothing. Me, I still think PacMan is a hoot. I got a new BluRay DVD player a couple months back, Talk about intimidating, I mean who needs to connect the movie you are watching to the internet so you can do what??? It there, I don't use it. I just watch a movie like I did on the DVD and before that on the VCR. I guess it kind of like my 9C. it will do things I don't think I'll ever use, but they both have the capabilities to do more if I want them to.

Thats my way of thinking, your is another. I'll not make a judgment on which is right because I think there are merits to both sides of the discussion. I just hope the new guy isn't getting the wrong impression that we are in a fight about who is right or wrong. As I see it we are all giveing him some information that may or may not be useful to him. And thats all I've got to say folks.

Don
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
MinnFlyer

opjose, you CHOOSE to run that many channels

I have flown all of those planes (and very well I might add) with 4 channels.

ORIGINAL: Tony Iannucelli

Dual rates, expo, mixing, etc, make you a better pilot.
No, they make you a better computer programmer.

Who would you call the better pilot, the guy who can mix out the "pull to the belly" in a knife edge, or the guy who can knife edge the same plane with his fingers?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Connery

Remember guys, the OP's questions was "Will I ever need more than 6 channels".  So everyone's answer is both valid and correct.  You can't say that he will never need more than 6, as it depends on what he does in the future.  However, you can also say that given certain conditions 6 channels is all he will need.  So if he flew all of the planes MinnFlyer posted with basic setups, sure, he'd never need more than 6 channels.  But threre's always more advanced things to do that some of the jet guys wish they had more than 14 channels for. 

I say buy what you think you might need in the next couple of years and what you can afford.  Since the Airtronics RDS8000 (2.4Ghz, 8 channel) can be had for less than $250 these days, I would say that is a good chouice and would last for quite a while and give you plenty of options.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Istarted with a 7ch and Itell folks I would still be using it except it could only program 3 planes and I usually have about 6 flying, I went to a 9ch but did I need in?? Well, no but it's a lot easier to program and set up my planes without using Ys and match boxes. You could probably set up most planes with a 4ch but is it set up correctly or the best it could be?? Nope. Last Ultimate I set up had 9 channels and that filled up my RX pretty fast. I'm sure it was a bit bigger then the one Mike is showing in the photo as a four channel though. That one may have been a bit hard to set up with only four channels but I could have maybe done it with match boxes and Ys witha 6ch, mater of fact I'm sure I could.
The 6 is a great starting point and the price is right. My choice is a 9 but it is a choice.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 AM
N429EM

Bonza,
If you're going to be training with the buddy-box, you'll need another Dx6i to use as a buddy box.
Kinda pricy for a buddy box.

EJ
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
dubd

What's wrong with learning how to fly the plane instead of letting the computer do it???

Geeze, some guys would be lost without their buttons.

So which radio would you suggest someone use with a 40% aerobatic plane used for IMAC or a turbine powered F-18? The 7 channel radios WILLnot cut it for my application without multiple Matchboxes and even then I would be limited with the mixing capability to make my Hornets surface move just like the full scale aircraft. I think there is more to this situation than just pressing buttons.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
MAJOR SPLAT

Over here in the uk the standard response to your question is always:
How much can you afford?

Go Join a club and talk to its instructors because he/she will need to know the kit you are using and have a compatialbe buddy radio.
Talk to the instructors if they have simular trainer ideas PTS mustang/raptor then fine, but if they dont like them its likely your instuctor optons will reduce.
I personally flew on a six and have taught on a six channel for many years and have been happy but like most things in life as you progress you will want to upgrade but A standard 6 channel will be more than enough to take you a long way into the hobby.
I personally only ever brought 6 channel sets up until the first FF6 came out then I was converted and over the years have since upgraded to a FF7 then FF9,I current own a DX7 which is great but again I love the 2.4 but I want more features for my Gas model so I am upgrading to a JR DSX9 (not sure the american designation) .

My point is that I could fly all my models on a 6 and I am a flyier not a computer tinkerer but you will find over time the ease of use and the extra features of higher channel radios a real bounus.

Hope this does help there is no "right" answers buy what you are comfortable with but you really must talk to you prospective instructor/club afer all when you have problems these are the guys who will be putting you straight.

Regards
Major
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Bonza

Wow, great information here. Really, you all went above and beyond, I really am blown away by the number of detailed responses in such a short time.

Well, I have gathered this much info for the short term: My gas trainer and first Tx should be chosen in conjunction with whomever will be training me, and I guess the decision will be more theirs then mine, as buying 2 DX6Is makes minimal sense. Correct?

Any suggestion for a scale .40 gas trainer that is PnP? I'd prefer something the pre-datesVietnam ifsomething like that exists.How hard is it to PnP anyway? I assume it just invloves installing the appropriate Rx and I'm rdy to go.

As for the longer term. Buy whatever you can afford is the toughest possible choice. In theory, I guess I could drop a few thousand....however, that seems like it would be a little out of control for someone just starting out, know what I mean? I am a big believer in value and would like to be able to get the most out of what I am flying while buying long term, quality componenets. Tech doesn't scare me, I'm a few years out of college, and my living room looks like an electronics store catalogue, so I imagine I will probably learn to program the Tx well, faster than I learn to fly well.

As for what I see myself doing with the hobby. I am kind of getting into this to fly 2 planes in particular. After that, who knows, but I would like my first real plane to be a .60 sized scale Spitfire, the Hangar 9 ARF is catching my eye.

Secondly, I eventually want a Fokker DR-1 and a Sopwith Camel ina larger scalescale, maybe the Glenn Torrance 1/3 scale which looks gorgeous.

I also don't see myself doing anything super competitive, but who knows what the future wil bering. I want to fly RC as a relaxing hobby rather than getting caought up with the intensity of prepping for competition. I reserve my PS3 and Call of Duty 4 to get the competitive juices going.

If that DR8000 can handleWWI and WWII.60 to 1/3 scale with ease, it would seem like a bargain for the money. Any thoughts on my newbish RC fantasies?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 AM
MinnFlyer

Your next step should be to visit your local field and meet the guys. Talk to a few instructors and find out what brand they are using. Your transmitter will need to be compatible with theirs to "Buddy Box" with them.

One of the other RCU Moderators and I have created a website specifically for people who want to get started in glow-engine flying. Give it a look. It has tons of good info. (Just click on the link in my signature)
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Bonza

Thanks for the link to your site MinnFlyer. There is a lot of great information there. I think I just got convinced to start off with a kit rather than a RTF. Considering that I am going to have to maintain and reapir my plane, I think I will be in a much better posotion to do so if I built it myself.

I liked the idea of your videos. I think I may have to go for those. What plane do you build in it? Are the specs for what you put in it posted anywhere?

Thanks!

P.S. I am certainly planning on joining a club. There seem to be quite a few here in Mass. However, I might be moving about 30 miles down the turnpike this summer and I figured it is only fair to the club if I know where I will be living for the next few years.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to Mike that would be a 4 channel with a big wad of Ys, no need to make you into a computer programmer or get into advanced set up.
ORIGINAL: dubd

What's wrong with learning how to fly the plane instead of letting the computer do it???

Geeze, some guys would be lost without their buttons.

So which radio would you suggest someone use with a 40% aerobatic plane used for IMAC or a turbine powered F-18? The 7 channel radios WILLnot cut it for my application without multiple Matchboxes and even then I would be limited with the mixing capability to make my Hornets surface move just like the full scale aircraft. I think there is more to this situation than just pressing buttons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.