Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ready to maiden?...HELP

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ready to maiden?...HELP

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM
flybyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to maiden?...HELP

My fifth plane is a Edge 540 with two servos on the elevator, could someone guide me through setting up my elevators using a program mix. I have a spektrum dx7 tx, and I'm using a 9 channel spektrum dsm2 receiver.........I was told to use the # 5 or #6 mix, but where do Iplug in my two servos...........one in the elevator slot and the other?...........or do I use a y-harness, or , or, or ............help!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was previously using the AUX 2, and and the elevator channels, but I could not adjust the control throw on the AUX 2 channel..................ready to maiden.......help!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ready to maiden?...HELP

Yes, you want to use the #5 or #6 mix. With these two, the trim for the master channel also trims the slave, this isn't the case on other mixes.

Plug one servo into the regular elevator spot and the other into Aux-1 or Aux-2.

When you set up the mix, make elevator the master and Aux-1 or Aux-2 the slave. You can control end points and the direction of elevator and your chosen slave channel as needed to get the elevator working correctly. Make sure you set the mix at 100% in both directions.

I believe you also have to disable the switch for the slave channel but I don't remmeber off the top of my head. I can look at a couple of my setups this evening.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can save all that and simply use a Y cable.  I have four planes with an aileron servo on each side and use the Y cable and all of them work just fine.

CGr
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
flybyme

Yes I have a y-harness on ailerons, I'm trying to connect and adjust the throw on the elevators. With a y-harness on it, the elevators operate in opposite directions.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
flybyme

connections are to elevator slot and aux 2. the servo going to the elevator slot works fine, but the servo going to the aux 2 slot operates in only one direction, how do I change the direction of the aux 2 servo.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

flybyme
     Go to HH site and look up mixes and radio set ups for your DX7. I found everything I needed there when I set up my Fliton Edge 540. Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: flybyme

connections are to elevator slot and aux 2. the servo going to the elevator slot works fine, but the servo going to the aux 2 slot operates in only one direction, how do I change the direction of the aux 2 servo.
Just go into the reversing menu and reverse aux-2. You can reverse every channel on the DX-7.

Edit: Just re-read your post and see what you are saying. I'll take a look at one of my setups. if not tonight, definitely tomorrow. I just can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM
ChuckW

Wife had me doinf stuff to prep for upcomign trip last night. I'll take alook today though.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I don't mean to fault people in their opinions, but someone buys a good radio with the functions to do want he wants and he's told forget it. The dx-7 can also have two channels for the ailerons. This give him diff and expo. Y-harnesses are just a another point of failure. Ask me why i don't use a 4 channel with y's in my jets or why my GS planes use 12 channels to fly a 4 channel 40% plane with  11 servos. But that just me. I also like power steering and air in my car too. O yes and power brakes, and the GPS so i don't get lost. I never did like looking at a map. And my wife said i wouldn't ask directions. Dennis
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No kidding, why would anyone buy a good radio then start using Ys to make things work?? If that's the thinking then any old 4 ch. would be the radio of choice. There are reasons to have a good radio and not having to use all the old school crap is one of the big reasons! Use the radio the way it was designed to be used.
ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I don't mean to fault people in their opinions, but someone buys a good radio with the functions to do want he wants and he's told forget it. The dx-7 can also have two channels for the ailerons. This give him diff and expo. Y-harnesses are just a another point of failure. Ask me why i don't use a 4 channel with y's in my jets or why my GS planes use 12 channels to fly a 4 channel 40% plane with 11 servos. But that just me. I also like power steering and air in my car too. O yes and power brakes, and the GPS so i don't get lost. I never did like looking at a map. And my wife said i wouldn't ask directions. Dennis
Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

I can tell ya why. I call it KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) I have several radios and I know I don't use them to there full capabilities, I just did what this gentelman is doing setting up dual elevator servos, got help here and was sent to a site with the programming I needed for my radio. Works great, happy I didn't have to use reverser, but the rest of my planes I stay with KISS, maybe later I'll use some of the radios extra features, but right now I'm flying the plane ( I should say trying to fly)  not the computer / radio and KISS works for me.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
ChuckW

OK, here is what I've been doing...

1- From the main menu where you program the name of the airplane and stuff, disable the switch for the slave channel you are intending to use. In my picture I have both the flap (aux-1) and aux-2 channels set to INH since I'm using both dual elevator and dual aileron servos. Doing this insures that bumping the switch won't affect one of your surfaces.
2- In the regular adjustment menu turn on mix #5 or #6. Select the elevator as the master and the desired channel as the slave. In this case I am using the flap (aux-1) channel for my second elevator servo so I have flap set up as the slave. Make sure you set the mix percentage in BOTH directions. In my case the linkages were dead on so 100% in each direction did the trick.

If you need to reverse one channel, just do it in the regular reversing screen. You can also control end points for each elevator channel separately to fine tune everything althoug I'd do it as best possible mechanically first.

This may not be the correct or the best way but I know it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85213.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1220590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88361.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1220591  
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
flybyme

Thanks everyone for your support and info.............I now have functioning elevators using no. 6 mix, as of last night...............looking to maiden Saturday morning.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
flybyme

Hi guys, one more problem I forgot to mention, how do I set up my throttle on my dx7, that will allow me to have full travel on my transmitter, because from both carb and trx at closed throttle when I go to full throttle my sticks on my tx are at 50% and my throttle is full open................................help
Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
DC12VOLT

That isn't the radio necessarily. Try moving the throttle rod going into the servo from whatever hole it's at now to the closest one to the middle of the servo. If that doesn't do it, move the throttle rod going to the throttle on the carb farther out from the middle.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
flybyme

Got it! thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
DC12VOLT

Yeah, I had to mess with my control rods at least 6 times before I got just the right combination.