Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tower Hobbies TOWER Trainer 40 MkII ARF Landing Gear

Well I'm going nuts with the way my Tower Trainer tracks on takeoff. It'll start out nice and straight then will pull hard right or left. I did a wonderful cartwheel and I'm surprised I only broke off the vertical stab. I'm flying off of grass and my takeoffs are squirrely. I have the least amount of travel at the nose wheel I can get (farthest hole out on the tiller, closest hole on the servo) I'm thinking the mains are too flexible. Think I might make it a tail dragger with the DuBro gear.

Anyone else have this problem? I've flown this plane before, and once up in the air, it flies fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly off a paved runway and my Tower trainer tracks straight. I only add very slight left/right corrections during takeoff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I think the grass is my nemesis. With the springy landing gear, I think it just goes wherever the pull is. I never had such problems with a landing gear, but its unnerving when you want to go straight on takeoff and its veering hard either right or left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put the Dubro gear on mine. I tried the supplied wire but just setting the thing on the ground the stock wires would sag excessively and I could tell it was going to be extremely "bouncy" on take off and landing from a grass runway. So on the next trip to my LHS I picked up the Dubro. Glad I changed it. Also picked up an Aviastar .46...mostly because it was there, was $49 bux, and I like experimenting with new engines I've never tried. That engine runs like a top!
    Sig 4*40, GP Corsair, TF P47D, P40, Spitfire. Future Projects: Ty Brown\'\'s ME109 84\", Dave Anderson TA152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Well I'm going nuts with the way my Tower Trainer tracks on takeoff. It'll start out nice and straight then will pull hard right or left. I did a wonderful cartwheel and I'm surprised I only broke off the vertical stab. I'm flying off of grass and my takeoffs are squirrely. I have the least amount of travel at the nose wheel I can get (farthest hole out on the tiller, closest hole on the servo) I'm thinking the mains are too flexible. Think I might make it a tail dragger with the DuBro gear.

Anyone else have this problem? I've flown this plane before, and once up in the air, it flies fine.
    Yup that squirrely bit me today trashed my Tower Trainer on take off (@$&%)! I told myself earlier today that I had to do something about that gear because I had to rebend the gear after every take off and landing, even after a perfect take offs and landings. The model would squat to low in the rear and also the gear would get bent backwards taking the wheels out of alighnment making for some hair raising take offs. I think just like any other thing over time I believe the landing gear has fallen victim to cost cutting. At any rate I have a new Tower Trainer on order and I also have a grass field, and the DuBro gear are a must for my maiden. I will also go up a 1/2 inch on the wheels to 3 inchers http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD780&P=7 That should do the trick. I love this trainer what a beautiful flyer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just get this gear...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXA7 Less than 10 dollars and your landing gear problems are over.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why would that be better? It's similar to what came with the Tower Trainer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree. I never want to bend another landing gear again!! Also I think I will go with the Carol Goldberg gear, it's slightly taller and has a slightly wider stance then the DuBro. With the taller wheel it should roll easier on the grass field. I will use the DuBro nose gear also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a better grade of metal, or something. Much Stiffer. No more Boing, Boing, Boing down the runway when you land. Trust me.

Before I got the Tower Trainer I had a PT-40. The NLG fell off on it's maiden flight and I couldn't find it. While searching Tower web site for a replacement NLG, I came across this set http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXA7 which was cheaper than the nose gears alone that I was looking at, so I bought it. I figured I might need the main gears some day.

A couple months later I crash the PT-40 and get the Tower Trainer. I noticed the weak MLG right away on the Tower Trainer. Just sitting there on my garage floor the weight of the plane and that gear had the tail almost dragging the ground. First time I flew it no matter how easy I brought it in, it would bounce 2 or 3 times before settling down. I remembered I had those MLG I ordered just for the nose gear and I put it on. Perfect fit, right into the LG block. I could tell the diference right away. The plane set higher. The weight of the plane wasn't mashing the gear. Next time I went flying, no bouncy!

I've since made it into a taildragger, but that wasn't the fault of the wire gear. I just thought it would look cooler (and it does). But that wire gear I posted the link for is your cheapest easiest way to fix your plane.

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I like cheap, but more importantly, I like whatever the better solution is. I'd rather pay a little more and get it right first time, if I can. Certainly, that gear you describe may be stiffer an maybe a big difference. I do agree the wire that the landing gear that is supplied with Tower Trainer, is questionable. I know how it reacts in grass. You describe landings as being a problem, but I found taking off in grass to be incredibly "squirelly". Meaning once some speed is attained, the plane is turning off from a straight line takeoff. This happened to me on several occasions and the last time I did an incredible cartwheel resulting in a broken off vertical fin. What's happening is the wire gear is getting pulled back in the grass and the result is the plane is veering off from a straight line takeoff. A little you can correct for, but this is so bad it really makes it difficult. Maybe taking off on a hard surface is different. With my Sig trainers I never had this problem to this extent. Or even my Avistar. I think if I'm going to change this, a Dubro main landing gear is the only way to make a significant improvement. One guy at the field who witnessed my problem suggest guy wires from the nose gear back to the mains to prevent them from pulling back. I think that's a solution also, but I don't like how that adds to the complexity and funkiness of a landing gear. So yeah, there's different ways to solve this problem, but for me the cheapest is not the solution. One thing we agree on, the material of the gear that is supplied with the Tower Trainer is too "springy". It is at least a diagnosis of the problem. Once in the air, the Tower Trainer flies fine. I had it up in air a few times and had a good time with it. Just dont like how it tracks on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya I'm very new to all this, and I see how important the LG is as you can see from the damage. Well went out today and purchase said upgrade gear and man very nice!! (see pic). Carl Goldberg mains and DuBro NG (much better ng wire) so wire can be good. The the old ng is still installed in these pix. I did change and go with the Dave Brown 3" wheels much lighter and cheaper than the DuBro 3" wheels. In these pix the mains aren't install to airplane it is just resting on them. Are you digging the damage caused by the flimsy azz gear right into a prep stand @$@%$#%#$$^%^! I'll repair this one this winter, but I have a new one in route.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

aw crap, sorry to see the damage. It's really a good plane once up in the air. The included gear is just not up to what it should be. Fix that wing and you'll be good to go. What I'm seeing should only be an evenings worth of work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey thanks Tom, well I have no experience on this type of repair. I think I'll have to build a full kit to gain that experience, but ya it doesn't look to bad, it did push the rear wing stay back a little also. Man what a blast flying this baby, no matter what other models I might aquire I think I'll always come back to this one for a flight regularly.

Thanks,

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sportsfan, this is what I would do. Cut away the MonoKote around the damage and examine the damage wood. Sometimes its better to just cut away the damaged stuff and replace with new wood. Other times you can get away with just putting the wood back together and hitting it with CA. With what I can tell from the photo, you should just cut away the broken stuff and replace the broken old wood with new. I had a similar accident but just in one location on a leading edge. I had it fixed and re-covered in one evening. It'll take more time just gathering all the materials you need. Different dimensions of wood, glue, and some covering. Once you have it back together, a good sanding, and all you have to do is re-cover those spots. It's not too bad for crash damage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok thanks Tom I kinda Hijacked this thread I know there is a thread just for this kind of thing oh well. I went down to the LHS and the owner set me up with all that I need, and your right It won't take long to repair maybe 2 to 3 day's for me. thanks for getting to attempt this so soon. I can be out testing this new LG by the weekend. I'll keep you posted[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Seemefly,

I learned with the Tower 40 trainer and, because I was new, had several hard landings where the nose wheel took the first impact. Eventually the plastic/nylon part that was attached to the firewall gave way. After re-building that a few times, I converted the plane to a tail dragger. I added the Dubro mains, moving them forward to the leading edge of the wing and adding a tail wheel to the rudder. No more bent nose gear. I re-inforced the floor of the fuse and placed two blind nuts inside, then used nylon bolts to attach the mains. Metal bolts might rip out the floor of the fuse in a hard landing. So far, I've not had a problem. Good luck.
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SportsFans,

Here is a good article about repairing ARFs damaged wings:

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=2&ID=102
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I like cheap, but more importantly, I like whatever the better solution is. I'd rather pay a little more and get it right first time, if I can. Certainly, that gear you describe may be stiffer an maybe a big difference. I do agree the wire that the landing gear that is supplied with Tower Trainer, is questionable. I know how it reacts in grass. You describe landings as being a problem, but I found taking off in grass to be incredibly ''squirelly''. Meaning once some speed is attained, the plane is turning off from a straight line takeoff. This happened to me on several occasions and the last time I did an incredible cartwheel resulting in a broken off vertical fin. What's happening is the wire gear is getting pulled back in the grass and the result is the plane is veering off from a straight line takeoff. A little you can correct for, but this is so bad it really makes it difficult. Maybe taking off on a hard surface is different. With my Sig trainers I never had this problem to this extent. Or even my Avistar. I think if I'm going to change this, a Dubro main landing gear is the only way to make a significant improvement. One guy at the field who witnessed my problem suggest guy wires from the nose gear back to the mains to prevent them from pulling back. I think that's a solution also, but I don't like how that adds to the complexity and funkiness of a landing gear. So yeah, there's different ways to solve this problem, but for me the cheapest is not the solution. One thing we agree on, the material of the gear that is supplied with the Tower Trainer is too ''springy''. It is at least a diagnosis of the problem. Once in the air, the Tower Trainer flies fine. I had it up in air a few times and had a good time with it. Just dont like how it tracks on the ground.

Seemefly 1 and Tom,

I have had a similar problem to Tom's when taking off grass, as well as bent landing gear.
    The attached schematic explains my solution, which has been working as a champ for my model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37510.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	1271963  
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah Inewqban, that does look like an acceptable solution. And I love your pilot figure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup lackeyma the floor strength is a big concern with the new CG LG. Someone wrote here that this trainer has a good reinforced LG block? I do like the sounds of the nylon bolts! Did you use 2 or 4 bolts , and what diameter? Also nice article lnewqban just what I needed, interestsing spin on the wire LG. Thanks all ![sm=49_49.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I too fly of payment and the plane tracks good on the ground and once in the air make for a wonderful trainer! I teach with this airplane and its also a lazy Sunday afternoon joy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can't believe I'm still addressing this problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, after swapping out a notorius bogging engine and finally getting good power, the next chore was to address the landing gear. Thanks to Inewqban and swapping the mains out for the Easy Star 40 mains, with a DuBro ng, hopefully this will work.

Name:	Mj24727.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	1804216  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another view.

Name:	Yw67662.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1804217  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That'll do the trick! Looks great Tom!