Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4 and 2 stroke glo plugs

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 and 2 stroke glo plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
wvaborn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 and 2 stroke glo plugs

Hi All:
Long story short, acquired some 4 stroke glo plugs, don't have a 4 stroke, can I use them in my 2 stroke engines. ? The plugs are hanger 9, I believe Fox says their's are interchangable, but don't know about these.
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks to all who respond.
Norm
Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 4 and 2 stroke glo plugs

I do. I ordered one plug a long time ago and they sent me a complete flat of them by mistake and said to just keep them all. Not a bad four stroke plug either. They are a bit hotter then an OS 8 but I haven't had any problems with them or the engines.
Is it correct to be using a hotter plug?? No, I prefer the OS #8 but in a pinch I used the H and just left them in the engine. I have also used them in old engines with lower compression instead of an idle bar plug with good results.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many .46 sized glow 2C engines and above come with "long" glow plugs with exactly the same length as the four stroke plugs.

As long as you are not running them on smaller engines, you should be fine, and in some cases you'll realize an improvement when the engine is mounted inverted.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plug selection is part of the tuning procedure. A hotter plug will burn the idle mix cleaner and allow you to use lower (cheaper) nitro fuels in most cases with relatively little power loss. A lot depends on your engine, it's compression ratio, timing, everything. A quick tool to help me decide on what plug to use is to set it for max rpm needle peaked then apply some glow driver heat, if the rpms increase you can get away with a slightly hotter plug, do this in steps and do not go beyond because it will decrease the rpms if too hot a plug is used. You can test this also using the same method, if the rpms decrease with heat your plug is either at maximum or too hot.
A power panel makes it a cinch. Yea I tinker , but it pays off.