Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Tiger 2 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 help

To replace my Basla usa stick 40, I was givin a Tiger 2 awhile back. I have seen this very same plane fly and it flies very well. Its was built very well and I hope not to crash this one without some hours put on it. I have all the equipment I need, except some wheel collars which I'm going to the LHS ( not really local, a hour drive one way) tomorrow to pick up. I should have this plane flying at least by satuday. How much deflection do I need for the control surfaces for low and high rates? This my first low wing, how will it be different than a high wing?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 2 help

It will fly a shade bit different than a high wing, but it is nothing to worry about. The Tiger is a sweet plane. Here are the throws for the plane. Good Luck, Dave

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga0066.html
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
fly boy2

Thanks, I should have looked it up myself , I didnt think I'd be able to find it for some reason. I can't wait to fly this thing
Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
tessmar

I have only been flying for three years and have destroyed a number of planes in my learning experience...so I have a great deal of "limited experience" with a variety of supposedly docile and good flying planes. IMO the Tiger 2 is by far the best flying plane I have ever tried (including the SIG Fourstar 40, World Models Mach II, Goldberg Eagle, SIG LT40...). It goes where you point it, has zero bad habits, and is responsive and quick and yet easy to fly at half throttle with the OS 46AX. It sits slightly nose down and therefore absolutely guess itself to the runway when you land...no bounce at all. It is also solidly built. Unlike some planes with wire landing gear mounted to the wings it takes the occasional hard landing without any sort of structural failure. It is still the plane I fly best and go back to any time I feel a loss of confidence, such as when I haven't flow for some time. All in all a dream...you'll love it!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: tessmar

I have only been flying for three years and have destroyed a number of planes in my learning experience...so I have a great deal of ''limited experience'' with a variety of supposedly docile and good flying planes. IMO the Tiger 2 is by far the best flying plane I have ever tried (including the SIG Fourstar 40, World Models Mach II, Goldberg Eagle, SIG LT40...). It goes where you point it, has zero bad habits, and is responsive and quick and yet easy to fly at half throttle with the OS 46AX. It sits slightly nose down and therefore absolutely guess itself to the runway when you land...no bounce at all. It is also solidly built. Unlike some planes with wire landing gear mounted to the wings it takes the occasional hard landing without any sort of structural failure. It is still the plane I fly best and go back to any time I feel a loss of confidence, such as when I haven't flow for some time. All in all a dream...you'll love it!
Did you get this as an ARF? Does it have the trike gear or taildragger conversion? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a building project this winter and I'm bouncing between the Tiger 2 and the Fourstar 40 for a second plane. I was leaning toward the Four Star because it is a tail dragger but I also noticed that there is a tail dragger conversion kit available for the Tiger 2. I also saw a Tiger 2 fly yesterday and it flew great.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

You guys have any opinion on the differance between the Tiger 2 and the Tiger 60? 
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than size?

All the tiger series (II, 60, 120) all pretty much fly the same.. they have a good wing loading and, if powered properly will perform, yet can be flown as a trainer, but with more authority.

I had the Tiger 60 for quite some time, finally sold it, and, from what I understand, it still flys.. which, after the abuse I put it through as my second plane, is saying something!!

Watch the CG carefully and adjust accordingly. If it takes a little weight, just add it, secure it, fly the plane.. you will be amazed with it.

CGr.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
stevenmax50

I'm a "size matters" kinda guy.  Thats why I was asking about the 60 vs the II.  I cannot really call this my second bird as I have actually built and flown the GP PT60 twice now.  12 years between A/C.  What I am pondering I guess is my second airframe.  I would be ready to fly my latest incarnation of the  PT60 neek week.  But I am going on vacation in a few days so that puts me off by a week or two.  I figure I will be ready to buy the next airframe and start the build around late Sept, early Oct.   I want to keep the engine size (cost) below 150.  100 if possible.  I have several choices that will fill the engine compartment of the Tiger 60 nicely.    The Tiger just looks like a good all around choice.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For some reason, they don't like to recover from inverted flat spins.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 AM
CGRetired

Well, having never experienced an inverted flat spin.. I can't comment on that. But, I CAN comment on what Stevenmax50 said.. yeah, I'm a "size matters kind of guy" too.

I don't have any idea how old you guys are.. but I'm now 62 and my eyesight is not what it was when I was 20. It is good, but not THAT good. And a big key in flying these RC aircraft is seeing what they do with input.

The Tiger 60 was amazing for me because it came in nice and slow (not as slow as my trainer, but it's not a basic trainer either) but slow enough that I could think about what I was doing when I was doing it, and actually saw the results of what I was doing by direct observation of the aircraft.

I can recall flying my Tiger 60 one fine day, and coming in for a nice landing, right down the runway centerline. The wind was neglegible and what wind there was was right down the center line. So, my approach was nice and clean. I saw that I was coming in a tad short, so, following my instructor's words (I could hear him in the back of my mind) saying "Extend the approach by adding a little throttle. So, two or so clicks of throttle and it leveled out a bit and then a few seconds later I removed that throttle, and it continued at it's normal rate of descent. WOW!!! Hey, I saw that work!!

Next, when I was almost in front of me, and about a foot off the ground, I "tapped" in a little elevator. I saw the nose rise up a bit and the plane settled down for a perfect three point landing (It's a trike.. not a tail dragger.. at least I set it up that way). Perfect textbook landing. AND, I saw everything right there in front of me.

So, yeah, I'm a "size matters" person and would recommend the Tiger 60.. or any low wing "trainer" type aircraft in the 60 size to anyone interested in listening. (Four Star 60 is another one, but it's a tail dragger and possibly a tad faster than the Tiger 60, but equally visible and nice to fly).

When I stepped up to the larger 90 size pattern plane, well, it was much slipperier than either of the planes, but was equally easy to see perform and as easy to land, albeit a tad faster.

CGr.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 AM
DavidAgar

I currently have both a Tiger 2 and a Tiger 60 in my hangar. As for flying them, it is tough to say which one is better as they both are very good flyers. The 60 is easier on the eyes as it is bigger and it looks better in flight as it has retracts, but they both fly the same. Now as for comparing the Tigers to a 4 Star, another tough questions as I also have a 4 Star 40 and a 4 Star 60 in my hangar. Once again sweet flying planes. I do not think that I could pick a favorite as they all are what RC is all about. Just kick back and enjoy kinda planes. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 AM
CGRetired

Oh yeah!! You are so right, Dave. I had the Tiger 60 and the Tiger 120 (had because I sold the Tiger 60 to someone that "just had to have it". But still have the Tiger 120.

I owned the Four Star 40 and, again, sold that to someone that "had to have it", but can attest, although they fly somewhat differently, they are still sweet flying aircraft. I never flew the Four Star 60 but I can imagine that it is probably just a bigger Four Star 40 in the way it flys. Very capable little jewel, for sure. All of them for that matter.

What amazed me about the Tiger 120 was that it was so similar to the Tiger 60 but much bigger. It flew the same, handled the same, but did things slightly slower (due to it's size and that I had the control surfaces toned down a bit).

One thing, I had to add quite a bit of weight to the nose to make the CG. As it turns out, this didn't matter much because this thing was a flying jewel!! Take off roll was reasonable, and the glide path on landing.. hey, this was something to behold. As big as it is, it just loved floating up there. Some of my landing rolls were about 20 feet!!

I have an OS 1.20 AX and that's one powerful engine. Does that plane very well.

CGr.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM
stevenmax50

The Tiger 60 has retracts available??? CG, I am 50 years old and my eyesight has never been good. Wore glasses since I was 8. But I had Lasic 4 years ago and I am 20 20 now. But old habits die hard. Size in RC has always been due to poor vision and like you, I like to see what my A/C is doing. So I have decided on the Tiger 60. If I can put retracts on it that just sweetens the deal.
I am considering putting the Magnum 4 stroke 91 or 70 on the Tiger. Any opinions???

Iwould seriously consider the Four star 120 except it is an ARF.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Allfat

Here is the 4*120 kit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG08&P=0

I have the 4*40 kit built in my avatar and it is a great flying plane, even though it is a little crooked because it was my first build.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Augie11

I have both the Tiger and Tiger II. I use a .70 four stroke on the Tiger II and a Saito 1.00 on the Tiger. I fly at 5400 feet of elevation so extra power is needed. But even at sea level I would not put a .70 four stroke on a Tiger .60
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
DavidAgar

Carl Goldberg made the Tiger 60 with a deluxe option which included Robart retracts and the parts to beef up the wing to install them. I have to admit that the plane looks really clean on a low pass with the wheels up. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
stevenmax50

Augie...how would you feel about the Magnum 91 4s?  After much thought and reading many, many posts here in RCU, I have decided my next airframe will be the Tiger 60 with that engine and the retract option.  I have read alot of positive postings on the 91 4s.  Just` wish I could buy it all now and not have to wait untill late August.     
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM
spdbmp24

I own the tiger 400 and love it. I also have a tiger 2 although it has yet been flown. I decided to convert it to electric. It now has an e-flite power 32 with a 60 amp esc, running dual 4200 mh 7.4v lipos in it. Feels like plenty of power, but yet still nervous to get it in the air. It will be the biggest bird I have flown. It is balanced quite well, so I am not worried about that aspect. I am worried about the throws. I believe it says on low rate to only set ailerons at like 1/4 . That doesnt seem much to me. Any thoughts on that and other bad habits the plane has before I get her up. Thanks in Advance
Kyle
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Augie11

A Tiger 60 with a .91FS is a winner. I don't use Magnums so I can't help you there