Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trojan T-28 Foam Repair

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trojan T-28 Foam Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
BigSting23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trojan T-28 Foam Repair

Hey guys. I had a crash over the weekend that tore the wing mouns out of the body, and I'm not sure on the best way to repair this. Can I just use an insulation Foam to rebuild the void and re-insert the mounts back into the body? Is there a better, cleaner way to fix things like this?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
redfox435cat

Default RE: Trojan T-28 Foam Repair

you got pictures
Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM
BigSting23

No pics. At work right now.

What happened was I got hit by a crosswind landing, and the wings took the impact, and ripped off the screw mount (front) and the 2 pilot hole mount (back) for the wings to be mounted to the body.

I've got it back in with CA, but I haven't attempted another flight yet to see how it is holding.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

A good thing to use for that is gorilla glue because it will foam up and fill all the gaps in the foam. When I had a Trojan, I mostly used CA or hot glue to fix things and it worked fine, so you are probably good for now. If it happens again, think about the gorilla glue.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: BigSting23

What happened was I got hit by a crosswind landing, and the wings took the impact, and ripped off the screw mount (front) and the 2 pilot hole mount (back) for the wings to be mounted to the body.

I've got it back in with CA, but I haven't attempted another flight yet to see how it is holding.
About the same crash happened to mine and I repaired it as you did, by using CA to secure the mounts back in. I added clear packing tape over the two seams after screwing the wing back on to give it a little more support and it's been fine for about 30 flights.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:55 PM
shurlock1

What I would do is get the parts that have to get screwed in and place them to see how they look. Shred some fiber glassup and put in or around mounting parts then mix some 6 min epoxy upand put on top of glass use a toth pick to force the epoxy between fiber glass pieces. When dry sand it an this will be strong. To finish it get a sponn full of light weight spackle and a few drops of water base polyurethane and use that as a filler. This will work and depends how the mix is made to make it more stonger. Buy some cheap water base paint from a craft store to match. It will look pretty once again.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: BigSting23

If you used foam safe CA, it should be fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Allfat
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: shurlock1

What I would do is get the parts that have to get screwed in and place them to see how they look. Shred some fiber glassup and put in or around mounting parts then mix some 6 min epoxy upand put on top of glass use a toth pick to force the epoxy between fiber glass pieces. When dry sand it an this will be strong. To finish it get a sponn full of light weight spackle and a few drops of water base polyurethane and use that as a filler. This will work and depends how the mix is made to make it more stonger. Buy some cheap water base paint from a craft store to match. It will look pretty once again.
That would work, but it is not worth the hassle. This is because that area will be stronger than the rest around it, so if he crashes again, then the foam around it will just break off and you will have to fix it again. Using CA glue is quick and easy and will be strong enought for this plane.