Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

would a scroll saw be a good investmet?

I was thinking about getting a small cheep scrollsaw for more accurate cutting. Any of you use these to cut out parts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: would a scroll saw be a good investmet?

I have a scroll saw, 9" band saw, drill press and power sander. I use them all on a regular basis except the scroll saw. My money says you'll get more use out of a 9" band saw.

Cheers,
    Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the most part when I build for myself it is from plans and I have to cut my own kits. My main two tools for cutting my own kits is the scroll saw and sander. I get a lot more use out of the scroll saw then the band saw, I do a lot of inside cutting and all I have to do is drill a small hole in the part then slide the scroll saw blade in the hole and re-attach the blade and start cutting. You can't do that with a band saw, it's just an outside cutter.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last year me and two others built a completely custom designed scratch built plane that was purely for lifting payload. We had to build it in our basement because our university was undergoing some major remodeling and the space was not available for us to use. We cut almost all of our peices on a scroll saw and used a hand sander and a belt sander to do the finishing work.

If you feel like you are going to be scratch building a lot, then I think it is a great investment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to cut small wooden parts out with hand tools and it would take me a hour or more to cut and sand a part to the exact size needed. Then I got my scroll saw and a powered sander and can do the same thing in five minutes! The scroll saw was one of my best investments!
    It\'s like a Koala Bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Allfat

Last year me and two others built a completely custom designed scratch built plane that was purely for lifting payload. We had to build it in our basement because our university was undergoing some major remodeling and the space was not available for us to use. We cut almost all of our peices on a scroll saw and used a hand sander and a belt sander to do the finishing work.

If you feel like you are going to be scratch building a lot, then I think it is a great investment.
    This is a good point, if you are just building kits then there is no real reason for the scroll saw and there is almost no use for one if you are assembling ARFs. Most kit cutting is done by hand with a small wood saw sold for a few bucks at Tower, there is even a really cool kit that has a miter cutting block and the saw.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you are planning to build from plans a scroll saw is a must The secret is cut just outside of the line and use a power sander to take it down the rest and has already been said you can only cut inside holes with a scroll saw Hope that helps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so how is it on balsa? Can you make clean cuts or does it tear the wood up?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a 14" band saw, and a scroll saw. Outside cuts are done on the band saw, I can get a much cleaner cut with it. As stated though if you want to cut inside, its a scroll saw or cut it with an Xacto knife are your choices. The later is sure to leave you frustrated. The Band saw, Scroll Saw, and a 4" disk sander make building from a plane and enjoyable experience. Without them, well that is what ARF are for.

My band saw was picked up at a garage sale some 15 years back for $15 and it came with five new blades. The table still had cosmoline on it, One of the best buys I've ever made. The first question from the wife, "what are you going to use it for". I didn't realize it at the time, but the answer was "what am I not going to use it for". I've used it for roughing aluminum parts to machine, for cutting boards to width, and a lot of stuff in between. A few years back when I got back into the addiction, I tried to cut ba.sa parts fora plane I was building. What a susprise, It was great. Then came the inside work. Ipulled out my jewelers saw and a corse blade and and hand sawed all the inside cuts. I stopped by the OSH store not long after and they had a clearance price on a Craftsmant scroll saw. Second best buy I've made. I topped it off with a delta 1" belt, 4" disk sander and man, can I turn out the parts now. I couldn't get along without any of the three now.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a scroll saw and find it convenient and probably faster than using other saws for intricate work. However I would strongly recommend investing in a power sander, which I also have, I have found mine to be extremely useful, I would use the power sander 10 or 20 times more than the scroll saw. Mine is Ryobi brand with a disc sander mounted at the side and a belt sander on the top, it is certain to have come from China. The side mounted disc has a movable slide to keep work square.

I have been constructing planes from scratch, rather than from kits.

Cheers

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a Dremel Moto Shop in the early 80's and could not tell you how many models it's built over the years. Still using it now to build. Wilt a slight mod to the table I have been able to cut strip and triangle stock. Would not do with out it.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47184.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	1242095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57611.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	1242096  
    Remember, Always look after the ORGANIC part of the model

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you plan on scratch building or even building short kits it's a necessity, other than that it's just really nice to have
    Gravity wins everytime

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john2364

I was thinking about getting a small cheep scrollsaw for more accurate cutting. Any of you use these to cut out parts?
    If you are assembling ARF's I say no, if kit buildingmaybe, if scratch building Yes.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have multiple tools as well, Scroll saw, band saw, drill press, router & table, 4" disk/1" band sander.

I use the band saw the most. It cuts a little faster then the scroll saw. Most of my cutting is outside cutting.

I use the drill press a whole heck of a lot too. It's really nice to cut clean holes precisely where you want them.

I don't use the scroll saw too often. I don't make inside cuts all that often. When I do, a servo door for example, It only takes a moment with a coping saw. If I need a lot of inside cutting, then I break out the scroll saw.

I use the sander from time to time. It kicks up tons of dust, and most of the time, I can do all the sanding I need by hand. I found a 1/2 round rough grit file does wonders to shape balsa.

I rarely use the router & table. I've only used it to make leading edges.

The one tool I really, really need next... A shop vacuum cleaner. The sander, especially, kicks out a lot of dust. A vacuum cleaner would help loads.

But whatever you do... do NOT buy cheap. You'll regret it later.
    β€œIt is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.\" - Wilbur Wright

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a refurbished one for $118 which included the shipping. Mine listed for $279 new. Comes in handy.

At the time tower wanted $279 for one like it so I went with the refurished one above.

Here's a reconditioned one for $110

http://www.skilshop.com/products/333...tag3335-01-rt#

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

I heard an old saying" only the rich can afford the inexpensive, because you have to replace it so often".[&o][&o]
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Dremel Moto Shop table saw. This has interchangeable blades so can be used as a scroll saw or like a bandsaw, but it's an oscillating blade and is noisy.
    It works really well on block balsa too I've found it really useful for building from plans.
    I'd like a Minicraft table saw for cutting 1/4" stock and a minicraft table sander for just squaring up those cut edges and generally for smaller work.
    I've also got a dremel rotary tool that's great for hole making (intakes and the like) but I'd like a 90 degree drill chuck for getting inside fuselages.
    Hope Santa's reading this ...

The liver is Evil and must be punished.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

I have multiple tools as well, Scroll saw, band saw, drill press, router & table, 4'' disk/1'' band sander.

I use the band saw the most.

I use the drill press a whole heck of a lot too.

The one tool I really, really need next... A shop vacuum cleaner. The sander, especially, kicks out a lot of dust. A vacuum cleaner would help loads.

I agree all around.

In order of frequency of use for me

Band Sander - With shop vac
    Band Saw
    Drill Press
    Small Dremel Router Table & Tool
    Scroll Saw

Then there is the myriad of custom RC tools you end up with too..

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have both, 16 inch bandsaw and a scroll saw. The scroll saw gets very little use and I could get by without it, using a hand powered coping saw for those inside cuts if needed. If you can only have one, get the bandsaw, much more useful and can do most cuts much nicer than a scroll saw will do. For the second tool, get a drill press, much more useful than a scroll saw. Now, most of my planes are large ones so, if you are doing only itty bitty stuff, you could get by with a scroll saw.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought three inexpensive power tools from Harbor Freight to help me with my limited building/repair needs: drill press, belt sander, & scroll saw. I mainly build ARFs, so I just need these tools occasionally for modifications and repairs. The Harbor Freight versions of these tools work fine for my purposes, but if you plan to build kits, or build from scratch, you may want to shell out the extra $$$ and get some better quality name-brand versions of these tools.
    Paul - Helis: Two Raptor 50V2s, Venture 30CP, Blade CX2
    Planes: Twist 60, Tribute 36, Two PZ BL P51s, Two F27C Strykers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would rate the scroll saw over the band saw just for the capability of intricate and inside cuts, but they are both useful tools in their own rights, and eventually anybody who takes scratch building seriously will have at least one of each.

Probably the most valuable tool I have is the Dremel MotoTool. I have many of the accessories for the Dremel - router table, router attachment, drill press, etc, and Dremel attached to each one of them. I couldn't live with out them.

I also have a Jett 16" depth scroll saw, Craftsman 10" band saw that needs new wheels, Craftsman 6" and 1" belt sanders, Craftsman 10" table saw and a Micro Lux (rebadged Proxen sold by Micro Mark) 3-1/4" table saw which is very similar to the Dremel table saw.

Harbor Freight makes a small 4" table saw - keep away from it. It uses a direct drive sewing machine motor with lots of slop in it. The blade moved in/out from the motor almost 1/8" on the one I tried.

Hogflyer
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the best time savers I have invested in are my scroll saw, bench sander, and Dremel tool. I recommend getting a good brand name like Delta or Dremel, but any of the above would be a nice addition to anyone’s garage.

Steve
    Cub Brotherhood #34, Mustang Brotherhood #29, Glow Brotherhood #64

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I I have yet to scratch build, but I still get a lot of use out of my scroll saw. Even with kits you sometimes want or need to do something that needs a part fabricated, not to mention repairs[:@]

Also, for the kind of work that you are likely to be doing you don't need to spend a bundle for something that will do the job quite well.

An added bonus was that I used mine to cut out some plywood shapes that my wife wanted which earned me quite a few domestic harmony points.

Terry