Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Field Fuel Pump slipping

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Field Fuel Pump slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Fuel Pump slipping

My glow fuel pump is slipping when I am filling my planes. Does anyone know what causes this? Is it repairable or do I just need to go out and get another one.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Field Fuel Pump slipping

Ah heck, RO, just go out and get another one. The local hobby shop can use the business...

However, is it held together with screws (two halves for instance)? If so, you might carefully... carefully that is.. take it apart and see if you can either tighten the crank to the main shaft or see what's slipping. If you can fix it, great stuff! If not, well, my suggestion (above) is probably in order.

CGr.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Prboz

I had a similar problem with mine. I could pull it apart and found the drive turning in the gear. I had to flatten out the shaft end so it would be a tighter fix in the gear. Fixed it for a while.

Regards
Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Korps

Buying a new one is a lot easier, but if you are like me who will first try to fix something...

Just open up the cover - check that all the gears are still in place and not stripped. Mine gets a regular look at, I have found that filth clogs up in some areas and this not really causes slipping but more of strain - you struggle to turn it.

In all honest opinion usually a manual fuel pump can fixed - well 80% of the time.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Norm Nestie

You probably have a Hanar 9 pump. They are poor quality as I'v found mine have barely lasdted a season. Good thing they are reasonably cheap but when I bought my last one I was told they have a 2 yr. gaurantee ???? I'm hanging on to my receipt. But don't be afrais to take it apart, they're pretty simple and you'll learn something.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

None of them last more more than a season or two in my experience. At least not the electric ones. Most of the time they get a leak and they are done. When you buy one ,get a spare for your flight box. I lost a day of flying once over a fuel pump. Once!

David
Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Sullivan pump a while back. It's electric. It often needs a moment to "prime" but it has not leaked nor has it slipped like some of the other electric ones I've had.

CGr.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Korps

ORIGINAL: Norm Nestie

You probably have a Hanar 9 pump. They are poor quality as I'v found mine have barely lasdted a season. Good thing they are reasonably cheap but when I bought my last one I was told they have a 2 yr. gaurantee ???? I'm hanging on to my receipt. But don't be afrais to take it apart, they're pretty simple and you'll learn something.
I have a Thunder Tiger manual pump so I can't comment from PERSONAL experience about Hangar 9. Although...my friend has the Hangar 9 manual fuel pump and his has lasted...well I think it's his second year running...and it started slipping now.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
mclina

I also have the Hangar 9 manual pump. It is on it's third season, and is just now starting to slip. It still works, but it takes a lot more cranks to prime it and to fill a tank. Where it used to take 30-35 cranks to fill a 10 ounce tank, it now takes about 50.

I'll probably pick up a new one next time I am at the LHS.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM
crossman

I have a Dave Brown 6-shooter pump that I have been using steady for about 3 years and was in the basement for atleast 12 without much use. These pumps use rollers and piece of tubing that can be easily (and cheaply) replaced. though I haven't needed to do that yet. (I may regret making that comment). In fact I may pick up a replacement to keep on hand.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had mine apart now probably 3 times now. The shaft slips on the impeller connection. Mine (Hobbico electric pump) has the shaft from the motor that is just a friction fit. After time it will loosen and then slip. I fixed it by roughening up the shaft and gluing it with CA. Works fine now. I carry a manual pump just for redundancy.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I should have knocked on wood when I first replied to this post. Pump quit on my last night at the field. Good thing I had the spare in the flight box. It's a Sullivan, first one I have had from them. Only time will tell how it last. It is quieter and faster than the H-9.

david
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Warbird Joe

I have had my Hobbico Top Fueler for about 3 years now. It is starting to leak and I can't find the leak. I have replaced fuel lines to no avale. I guess it is time for a new one. From what I am reading I should probably just get a hand crank one.