Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dumb thumbs

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dumb thumbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumb thumbs

Nice debri field, looks like the one I left with a P-51 couple of years ago except I broke the carb off and the muffler was completely smashed.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
homeboy61

Wow bro that engine plant is just as bout as good as my big stick .60 with an tower .75 on it stuck it in some good old IOWA dirt plum up to the landing gear and that ant no **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any way sorry about your plane I also had to laugh @ my crash also then the money factor kicked in !!!!!!![

REMEMBER ALTITUDE IS OUR FRIEND]
Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon,
I tell ya, that fine Minnesota River silt grows some real nice engines. You remember watching Mike dig his 75AX out, don't you? Hey, if you are up to it, I am planning on being there tomorrow morning to fly until about 1. Was the other tiger from Dave? Sounded like it by the way you talked about the Webra engine.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Curtis

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48554.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1268580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24714.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1268581  
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Mr67Stang

Yes, midair collissions are some of the most exciting. In fact, due to the rarety of them a lot of times the two involved are not even upset stating things like, "That was totally worth it!" Ask me how I know And if someone is actually using a high speed digital camera while you and your buddy play chase... even better!

Name:	Ki20433.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1268583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97811.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1268584  
Old 09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

I had that happen....

Name:	Db83649.jpg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1268612  
Old 09-04-2009, 02:52 PM
psb667

fly crSH REBUILD this is the hobby you chose my condolences on your loss
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

What looks like an axial roll up high apparantly dips a bit in the reality of near-earth passes.

Very true
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
warbird addict

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

Well my plane (40 size Tiger) had it's experiation date today, I don't know if my aileron servo broke before or after the crash, but it the plane is now gone. I have attached pictures for your viewing pleasure. I am bummed but it was a tool that served me well.
LOL looks exactly like my lil parkzone p-51 that I dunced reversing the ailerons on, I never knew styro exploded like that, yeh it was a pretty spectacular full throttle inverted
nose first verticle impact ,waaaaaaaa WHOP! LOL
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Man, I've never seen a plane that smashed.
I've seen some Quickie 500 pylon racing midairs that are spectacular confetti generators.

My best ever was a midair from below that hit my Big Stik .60. I had an OS 70II Surpass engine in her. A model came up from below and snapped the wing off - sheared the two Nylon wing bolts. Actually, at that point, the damage was slight and the wing fluttered down gently. The problem came that the resulting fuselage lawn dart plowed into woods and then smacked a large boulder. The engine was in four pieces, part of the cylinder head was snapped off one side. Even the fuel tank was in pieces (I had a two ounce wheel weight epoxied in near the tail that became a bullet and went through the tank, opening it like a banana, and impacted the back of the engine. The servo cases for rudder and throttle were cracked.

Half as a joke I boxed up the engine pieces and sent them to the repair center in IL. I got a nice letter back; stating the damage was "impressive" and a coupon to buy a replacement at dealer cost.

Wow, Charlie, I wish I had though of that, I just posted pictures and got some points for having the worst crash. I never thought of sending it to O.S.. I did ask the guys here in RCU if they though some JBweld and some cleanup would get it flying again. Did you take them up on the new engine???

Don
Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you take them up on the new engine???
Yes I did. It's now in my Contender 60 and running great.

I dorked an RMC 40 trainer with a Thunder Tiger Pro-46 one winter and nosed into the paved parking lot (note to self - flying with a freezer baggie over the transmitter seems like a good idea until you find the rudder trim is full left and tearing off the bag messes with your ailerons). Anyway, I had dented the piston sleeve - a $75 replacement part (piston & sleeve available only together) on an $80 engine. I sent it to the warranty center with a polite letter asking for options and they repaired it free . . . even though it was past the warranty period.

Things like this have made me an O.S. and Thunder Tiger fan.

In fact, I just rearranged that same TT Pro-46 on the fourth airframe (first crash on that model but third crash on the engine) and it lives on with a Perry carb. Eventually needle valves and housings get tired of being straightened back into place. If you're not crashing occasionally you're not pushing your limits. I know guys who never crash . . . but I've never seen them land with grass in their rudder/antenna peg after an inverted limbo.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I admire a man who doesn't do things halfway. Good job.

It does sound like the crash was a parts failure or a radio problem though. I'd be thorough with the range check on the next plane if I were you.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
TedMo

Since we are comparing crashes good time to add my most memorable one. This happened about 30 or so years ago at a Laser invitational with about 3000 people spectating. Great air show and I was doing a demonstration flight with my Laser. I was a hot shot pilot back then just shot now. Was doing axial rolls 10 feet high and hit up when it should have been down. Naturally the only thing left of that Laser was the pictures I have before the rolls. Very embarrassing in front of all those folks. Now at 83 I fly more conservatively.