Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dumb thumbs

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dumb thumbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb thumbs

Well my plane (40 size Tiger) had it's experiation date today, I don't know if my aileron servo broke before or after the crash, but it the plane is now gone. I have attached pictures for your viewing pleasure. I am bummed but it was a tool that served me well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93475.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1268219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88869.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1268220  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Sourkraut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumb thumbs

Oh my!! That doesn't look that bad.... it should be rebuildable

Just joking.... sorry for the loss[]

Curt
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! [Nice engine plant, though].

Good on you for fessing up as "dumb thumbs" or other pilot error.

I dorked my Hot Stik last week but it has since been rebuilt & tested. Hit two switches instead of one when going to low rates and did a 90º nose dive at speed from 20 feet up. Pulled up just in time to shear the gear off, snap both arms of the motor mount and rip teeth out of three of the four aileron servos. Amazingly the prop and spinner were fine?? A case of "long finger" instead of dumb thumb.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Minnreefer

I just had to laugh, then cry then laugh, it was sucha bad crash. I was pulling out of a loop and then it seemed like I lost control, but I am a realitivly new pilot and I only had a second or 2 before impact., but I don't know, it seemed to death spiral in.

Jon
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Make sure you keep the engine watered during the first few weeks until the roots are more developed or your airplane tree will never grow.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Make sure you keep the engine watered during the first few weeks until the roots are more developed or your airplane tree will never grow.

Thanks, do you have any particular type of fertilizer that you would recomend?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Charlie P.

A few years back I thought I was doing well and hot-dogged my SK-50 along in an inverted limbo at full speed. This is with a .51 Super Tigre & 12 x 8 prop so full speed was right up there. My plan was to flip back level while still low and then pull straight up. Well, I got up to eye-level and rolled her and BLOOWIE! . . . raining SK-50 pieces. I caught a wing tip on the ground and she disintegrated. I just stood there a while letting it all register (and the balsa cloud finish dispersing).

What looks like an axial roll up high apparantly dips a bit in the reality of near-earth passes. That or gravity is stronger near the ground. I think that must be so.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

cant go wrong with nitro makes planes go real fast
that makes my rapture crash look like nothing, sorrry for the loss
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Now you know how I felt when I planted the US 60

I feel your pain Jon :-(

Now shake it off. Winter's coming. Time to build next year's plane
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
cold_reboot

Some people recommend using pure castor, some people say full synthetic is fine, still others say a castor/synthetic is the best of both worlds. Fertilizer discussions on RCU generally turn into flame wars and bashing.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM
cold_reboot

All joking aside, sorry about your loss Minn. It always feels like losing your favorite family pet.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Minnreefer

All joking aside, sorry about your loss Minn. It always feels like losing your favorite family pet.
Thanks, I got the plane at an auction for $55.00, I think, I have used it for 2 summers and I have learned a lot with the plane. It was starting to look REAL raged, I would almost need to recover it this winter, so I saved myself that hassel. I was just bummed, cause I was just starting to feel real comfortable with that plane, it was always an "easy" plane to fly, but I finally got almost a relaxed feeling with the plane. I at least got to knwo my stik today, and it fly's almost as well as my tiger.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Jon
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
dignlivn

Sorry to hear that, time to build an
Astro Hog. This too will pass,

Bob
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

cant go wrong with nitro makes planes go real fast
that makes my rapture crash look like nothing, sorrry for the loss
Nitro is good, but nothing beats a fist full of $100 bills to make it grow faster

Don
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Man, I've never seen a plane that smashed.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 AM
The Ghost

Jon, can't be that bad, you didn't brake the muffler off. Did a simmilar thing a few years ago, flat out, inverted pass at 5' and pulled UP[:@] instead of pushing down, same result.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Really, come out to our field and watch me for a while. HIs engine looks like it will fly again. My O.S 52 fourstroke ended up in several pieces. I can't locate the photos now, but imagine his crash into hard adobe clay. Idumb thumbed it in when I rolled when I got disorentated on an approacy and punched the throttel, Man that engine jumped to life, and then I pulled full up, when I was inverted. The plane disappeard behind thehill at the end of the runway then this gyser of yellow monokote came up. I did salvage the cam, two lifters, the crank, and the barrel and needle valve asembly from the carb. Every thing else was toast.

A month back, I killed my Ruperts Dad. My first build getting back into the hobby after being away for some 40 years or so. I had damaged it twice before and the last rebuild included a full new skin and trim that took me over a week to layout and apply. About 100 ft shy of the runway, and i was having to push it down due to a CG change I made, and it started to ballon and I pushed down to level it out, it snapped straight down and was a gonner. I'm standing there kind of froze and I looked down at my TX and Istill had the elevator pegged full down.Dumb thumbswith a capital Dand T. Maybe I'll do another, I liked that plane.

Don
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM
sportrider_fz6

sorry for your loss... but I gotta say if you're going to burn one in, that's how it should be done!!!

I lost a FW-190 once, if I remember correctly right before impact I could be heard saying watch how low (inverted) I can fly this.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Mr67Stang

Well, on the bright side crashes like these save a lot of time rebuilding because, well there isn't anything left to rebuild[:@]

I'm not sure this was your fault though. To me, it looks like your fuel tank and your engine got into a fight and wanted to get as far apart from each other as possible. Notice they are at opposite ends of the debris field...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Well, on the bright side crashes like these save a lot of time rebuilding because, well there isn't anything left to rebuild[:@]

I'm not sure this was your fault though. To me, it looks like your fuel tank and your engine got into a fight and wanted to get as far apart from each other as possible. Notice they are at opposite ends of the debris field...
Yup, they got seperated from each other, I don't think I can repair the 2"hole in the fuel tank

My friend just burned his tiger in the fire pit that mornign that he crashed earlier this week. He put a webra 55 on his and was pulling out of a dive too fast and his wing folded up. So he just got done telling me about his wreckage.

Thanks for the stories it is giving me a good laugh. I am going to go back to the field and put a little money and some more fuel into the hole and see if I can get a new engine or plane to grow over the next while.

Jon
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

First of all, OUCH. Been there, done that, never gets any easier.
The last time that happened to me I'm not to sure if I had a brain fart or something on the plane broke.
(I do have the distinction out at that flying field to be the only guy to crash a plane into a truck at 180mph and not leave so much as a scratch on the truck.) Yeah, yay me. Shesh. LOL
Covering and balsa were spread out over about a 30 ft radius and a lot went under the truck and out the other side 10-20 ft.

If anyone is interested, here is a video of the crash site (Sorry, not the actual crash) but be warned... the file is 240Mb so will take a little time to download.

[link=http://homepage.mac.com/amerikiwiusa/iMovieTheater115.html]VIDEO[/link]

George
Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
mclina

Sorry you lost your plane. Next time you are going to crash, don't aim for the wood chipper.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

yes were have all done that before. if you haven't crashed...........you haven't flown..........just buy another arf and keep fly'in, check your radio gear out good or send it out to be checked before using any of it again...............RON
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Charlie P.

I've seen some Quickie 500 pylon racing midairs that are spectacular confetti generators.

My best ever was a midair from below that hit my Big Stik .60. I had an OS 70II Surpass engine in her. A model came up from below and snapped the wing off - sheared the two Nylon wing bolts. Actually, at that point, the damage was slight and the wing fluttered down gently. The problem came that the resulting fuselage lawn dart plowed into woods and then smacked a large boulder. The engine was in four pieces, part of the cylinder head was snapped off one side. Even the fuel tank was in pieces (I had a two ounce wheel weight epoxied in near the tail that became a bullet and went through the tank, opening it like a banana, and impacted the back of the engine. The servo cases for rudder and throttle were cracked.

Half as a joke I boxed up the engine pieces and sent them to the repair center in IL. I got a nice letter back; stating the damage was "impressive" and a coupon to buy a replacement at dealer cost.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Deadeye

WOW!! KABLOOEY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.