Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ruined my weekend

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ruined my weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ruined my weekend

Looking to sell that spinner now?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 AM
brett65

I glued the stabilizer back together by injecting thin CA into the break while holding it in place. A little medium CA on the outsides, then some 6 min epoxy for a little gap fill. It's pretty stout now.

I need some help here. I'm trying to fix the covering. The covering is a little unique and I have it ironed back down, but not sure how to close the gap on it. Ultracote didn't want to stick very well, and I thought about clear packing tape but not sure what to do. Might experiment putting something behind it, but I need suggestions. Gonna airbrush in some color on top of whatever I do. For some reason I get an error message when trying to upload pics so I'll try again later.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Bret the clear packing tape works well actually, I used some to repair a tear in some covering and it worked like a charm exept you can't iron it tite and it doesn't like paint that much, like oil and water.

as for the ultracoat sometimes it won't stick to other coverings, the clear monocoat might work better with the Kyosho covering, it seems prety slick when I felt it on my model,the pre printed covering is kind of funny stuff, also mono has a peel and stick version but I am not sure if it comes in clear, the P&S mono comes in smaller sheets also
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM
brett65

Are you talking about the long rectangular peel and stick stuff? I have used that before, I'll have to see if it will hold paint.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea thats the stuff, it comes in the 9x36 or so sheets, it has the surface of mono but its more like a sticker sheet, I used some of it to simulate windows on my Nextar rebuild and once it goes on it definatly doesn't want to come off, I was also surprised how well it went around curves after the backing was peeled off.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
dean2287

+1 on the Monokote sticky-back "trim sheets". I have used them to patch up tears etc. and it works great. Perfect color matching, and it can even be ironed a little bit.

http://www.monokote.com/trim.html
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM
foosball_movie

I was 14 or 15 years of age and decided to tackle a balsa wood airplane kit. I had built dozens and dozens of plastic models and the found a nice big model. I had never worked with balsa before, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I believe it was a Cessna 150 or 152 or 172 ( this was back in 1989 or 90). I didn't have any intentions of flying it, because I didn't have the money to get a receiver or engine. I just wanted to build the plane.

So I spent all summer on it. At least three solid months. From memory, it probably needed a .40 size engine. And there was no Monokote involved. This was all fabric and dope. I still remember that dope smell. I covered it in my bedroom, so I'm sure I lost at least one hemisphere of my brain that summer.

Decals applied. Wheels. Everything but the engine and radio gear. I thought it looked pretty good for a first try.

I had it on my bed after completing the plane. Just waiting to get some string to hang it from my ceiling. Then a friend came over. We started wrestling for some reason. He jumped up from the floor and landed directly on top of my plane. Less than a couple of days after completing it.

Landing gear smashed up through the bottom of the floor. Spars piercing the wings.

I remember not being very angry at the time, but knowing what I know now about how hard kit building is....I think I'm a little ticked-off.