Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to install Blenderm hinge tape

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to install Blenderm hinge tape

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install Blenderm hinge tape

I am assembling my first foam plane a Turnigy Piaget EPP-CF 3D. I don't want to use the hinges that came with the kit. Not sure how to properly install Blenderm tape. any help would be appreciated. Guess I have to get ready for the indoor flying.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 AM
goirish

Default RE: How to install Blenderm hinge tape

Also, 2nd question. What kind of foam safe CA should I use. Thick, medium, not even sure what it comes in. Going to the LHS this morning, however most of the employees are car and truck guys, so not sure I trust them to make the right choice. Thank Heavens for RCU
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I use the tape is to run a strip the entire length of the control surface. Bevel the L.E. of the ail. / elev. etc. along the lower edge first...about 45 degrees, then run the tape along the top of the surface. Leave just a wee bit of space (maybe 1/32 ) between the T.E. of wing/stab etc. and the control surface to be attached.
I put the tape on the control surface first, then apply to wing, etc. (if you're building a foamy, lay the wing/etc. flat on the table then stick the pre taped ail. to the wing.

I prefer medium foam safe CA and make sure you get the foam safe accelerator (or the ca will take forever to dry )

Another way to hinge w/ tape is to pin down the wing (for example ) and pin down the ail. w/ the small gap between...then apply the tape.
That works quite well with flat surfaces like a flat wing profile foamy type.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: proptop

I put the tape on the control surface first, then apply to wing, etc. (if you're building a foamy, lay the wing/etc. flat on the table then stick the pre taped ail. to the wing.

I prefer medium foam safe CA and make sure you get the foam safe accelerator (or the ca will take forever to day )
I know this is dumb, but, if I lay it flat and then put the tape on, how will it flex in both directions. I have visions of being only able to flex one way. I know I am missing something in your post (I think)[&o][&o]
Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 AM
goirish

Is there a difference between hinge tape and blenderm or are they the same in one?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
proptop

ORIGINAL: goirish

I prefer medium foam safe CA and make sure you get the foam safe accelerator (or the ca will take forever to day )
You need to bevel the L.E. of the ail. or elev. with all of the angle on the lower edge...not a double bevel, but like a "Top Hinged" aileron or elev.
You need to leave a small gap too so you have frredom of movement on the downward part of the travel...

It's kinda tough to explain..I know..

I know this is dumb, but, if I lay it flat and then put the tape on, how will it flex in both directions. I have visions of being only able to flex one way. I know I am missing something in your post (I think)[&o][&o]

Edit: Boy...I messed up that quote didn't I ?!
I accidently put my reply into your post...duh...oops.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
proptop

When I say tape, I mean the Blenderm (great stuff! ) I just shortened it (didn't feel like typing Blenderm that many times )

Years ago, when I started building foamies (5-6 yrs ago ) I didn't know about Blenderm...and some of the other so called "special" tapes were nothing more than scotch tape...so that's what I used. Blenderm is MUCH better.

I think the 3M Blenderm is a medical tape? Derm is another word for skin I believe? I think Blenderm probably came from a Dermatoligist who was also into R/C (just speculation )
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, we used Blenderm for years to seal hinge lines on F1 pylon racers (more than 20 years ago). It is a medical tape, but is the thinnest most flexible tape known.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene:

A couple years ago, I was a the WRAM Show in New York. I bought a "Bug" from

http://www.lightflite.com/

They use UHU Creativ glue for just about everything. One thing, though, they used Blenderm and the UHU Creativ glue together. The instructions stated to use your finger and apply some UHU Creativ glue along the hinge line where the tape would go, let it set, then press the tape right on the UHU Creativ glue strip.

This works, trust me.

You can get UHU Creativ glue at your favorite arts and crafts store. Make sure you get the UHU Creativ glue because there are other types of UHU gule. You want the Creativ glue.

Dick (CGr)
Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Dsegal

> if I lay it flat and then put the tape on, how will it flex in both directions. <

Not dumb, it is a good question. The key element is to have a small gap between the the two surfaces when they are joined. If there is no gap the control surface will up, but not down. This applies to both tape and to film (covering) hinges. I set this up on a trial fit with balsa shims for the gap and masking tape pieces simulating the hinge. This lets you check if the gap allows enough throw for the control surface.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
lordmerren

ORIGINAL: goirish

goirish

You are accustomed to beveling control surfaces for balsa planes, where you would put a 45 degree bevel on the top, and the bottom of the (let's say elevator) leaving a very small flat strip in the middle, where you would insert your hinge. With most foamies, the hinge line is on the top surface of the elevator, with all the 45 degree bevel being on the underside so the surface can hinge down. This is how my Seminoll works anyway. I could draw a picture if I haven't explained myself properly.
PS ....I just used elevator as an example. Actually all my foamie controll surfaces are beveled this way.

Lm
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
goirish

Thanks for all the input. I did go to the LHS and pick up some blenderm tape. It is really flexable. I did cut a 45* on the leading edge of the aileron from the bottom. When I put the tape on I left a small gap approx 1/32 and it worked great. Just hope it don't come off in flight. AH!!! won't be flying that hard indoors anyways. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
proptop

[8D]
The tape will stick well to clean (paint and dust free ) foam...it helps to lightly burnish it down too. I use my finger tips...or sometimes a popsicle stick.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
goirish

Thanks I will do that.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
CGRetired

Gene: That's what the layer of UHU is for. The UHU gives you a bonding surface and the tape will not come off.

CGr.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 AM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I second what CGr says about the UHU Creativ Glue along with the Blenderm tape. For consideration about any future foamies, this combination really plants the tape down for good!
I used it for hinges on an obscenely priced, high speed Multiplex foamie with excellent results.
And, at my age and with fat fingers, I found making and installing these type of tape hinges to be quite the task. A good popsicle stick or strong flat wooden coffee stirrer is helpful for smoothing down the tape, as suggested above.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM
proptop

I haven't used the Creativ yet...are you guys bedding the tape down into the glue while it's wet? (that's the stuff in the red and yellow tube? )
Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 PM
safeTwire

Almost...you could call it bedding the tape down into the glue, however, it is actually more like applying a very thin layer of the glue to act as a binder between the foam and the tape, which augments the holding power of the tapes adhesive. You can seal the leading edge of the tape also, by spreading the glue along, then up over the edge.

Is this process Overkill? Perhaps! I's like the Foamie's version of "Pinning" standard nylon hinges into place! (yes...I do that too)

At the liteflight website's front page if you scroll down towards the bottom, you can see a picture of the now discontinued UHU creativ glue. There is mention about a current replacement.

http://www.lightflite.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60019.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1300687  
Old 10-24-2009, 06:43 AM
CGRetired

Yeah, that's the process I was trying to describe.

Some tapes don't stick well to the porus foam, or to the porus painted surfaces and the UHU gives the tape something to bind to. Works well. Thanks for the assist, guys.

CGr.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:52 AM
goirish

Just ordered 12 rolls Blenderm tape-1.71 roll. Hand them out to club members. LHS was 5.95 p/roll
Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM
safeTwire

goirish...Great hunting on a price for the tape! That's about what it's really worth per roll, imo.

Now..please hunt-eth forth on a price for the UHU glue!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
CGRetired

My "Significant Other" works at the local hospital. She was able to order some via the hospital an I paid cost for a box of the 1 inch Blenderm. Came in a box of 12 rolls.

I did the same thing as Gene did.. passed some around the club members. I didn't give them the UHU Creative, they had to get that on their own..

CGr
Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM
kelly vallee

I would like to know the part number of the 3M Blenderm tape? I have a two year old boxes with the part number 1531p-1, and I cannot find anything with this number. I see on the 3M site part number 1525-1, it look the same, but I remainder that they where two different type in the store. And one was easily ripped vertically and horizontal, and the tape same not clear, but semi-transparent? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
woodro9744

Blenderm tape is available at Tower Hobbies (under name Dubro) for $4.99/roll. Part # is LXJGT1
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM
goirish

Try this link
http://www.restockit.com/blenderm-1-x-5-yard-10-tape-(8815251).html?srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=32-169409500-2&source=IDx20111014x00001e&utm_source=IDx20111014x00001e&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=comparison&utm_term=8815251&bvar7=nextag&bvar10=nextag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.