Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ESC/motor/prop combos

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ESC/motor/prop combos

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
k3nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC/motor/prop combos

Thanks opjose. I can use an EDF with this plane? Don't I have to worry about somehow mounting this edf?

When I get the jet, I'm gonna fly it stock. See if it's "fast" enough for me. I'm not looking for a bullet. Then I'll try whatever motors and props I have and work from there. But the help here so far is great, I have a baseline of what to try.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
opjose

My mistake.

I thought you were TRYING to put an EDF in there.

Yes you would indeed have to deal with the mounting issues, though there are ways of dealing with it.

A better motor/prop/esc combo will give you wonderful performance too.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
k3nv

I had no plans of putting in an EDF. Just a regular motor/prop combo was all I needed.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 AM
k3nv

Which one of these watt meters are better? One of them is out of stock. I like how you can use it to program your ESC too... so it's like dual purpose.

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6553[/link]

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10080[/link]
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I didn't realize they launched their own little wattmeter. The first one you listed was also a servo driver (so you can use the pot to run the ESC). If it were me, I would get the second one. I think it is quite a bit smaller and more portable. What I bought was the Eagletree V3 logger for my planes. I also got a temp probe and Brishless sensor so I can plot speeds and temp with the motors. It's not tremendously expensive, but more than a wattmeter. Before I bought that I actually made my own wattmeter out of a harbor freight DVM. Search out RCGroups.com for the $3 Wattmeter thread by Rich Smith.

Did you see in the link to your plane the comments about the stock setup (it comes ready to fly after you add a battery and Rx)
"Plane too boring with the stock motor. Only one flight with stock set up. Hooked a turnigy 2632/3400 and a 40A Super simple ESC with 4,1x4,1 prop and 3S 1550 Zippy bat. New motor fits perfect in the stock motor mount and flies pretty fast now. Will try 4,5x4,5 and 4,75x4,75 , I think the motor can handle them. I had to replace the shaft of the motor as it broke during ground testing."

You could just use motor and ESC that the user spec'd"

I just saw that HobbyCity is posting this plane if you are interested in an EDF. [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10358]Jetiger Plug and Fly[/link]
Best Regards,
Curtis
Old 10-31-2009, 08:11 PM
opjose

Yeah those user reviews and comments are certainly helpful.

I didn't catch that. But it spells up a logical upgrade path as you pointed out.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the best threads I've seen in a while with lots of great information for electric enthusiasts. I've learned a lot and had quite a bit of reinforcement for what I"ve been doing wiith mine.

Some of the ideas passed in this thread are things that many of us take for granted, for instance 20% overhead is something that many just overlook. The energy consumed by heat is basically wasted energy because it does not contribute to aircraft performance. if the wattmeter is placed in the right spot (between the battery and the ESC for instance, the wattage consumed by the ESC and Motor due to heat is shown. If it's placed after the ESC, well, what the ESC uses up in heat is not included in the wattmeter measurement.

So, that 20% factor comes in handy when calculating the right battery pack, esc, and motor combination.

CGr
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
k3nv

Yes this thread has been most enlighting.

beau0090_99, that jet looks awesome... i think i might pick one up as well...
Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
k3nv

I just ordered the 3400kv motor, 4.1x4.1 prop and 40a esc as per that comment. Looks like a nice upgrade from stock.