Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

question about going from 4 chan to 3?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

question about going from 4 chan to 3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about going from 4 chan to 3?

Ok, I am going to maiden a sig Kadet senior that does not have ailerons. I am very used to having the 4th channel. Is this gong to be a problem? Do you have any recomendations?

Thanks

Jon

P.S. I am planning on this plane bieng my 5 year olds first plane.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: question about going from 4 chan to 3?

Just plug the rudder into the aileron channel and have fun!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plug the rudder into where the airlon plug goes. The right stick. Nothing to it!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon, get some balsa, a little covering, a couple servos and extensions or Y harness, some linkagesand spend a few hours fixing this build error.

From talking to guys who fly rudder, elevatoronly, the key is to make sure there is some dhideral, maybe a lot. Otherwise the rudder will not be efective at turning the plane. I have also found that most rudder only planes have the rudder on the Channel 1 so it feels a bit like an aileron plane.

The guys who know how to fly rudder only, can do some amazing stuff with them. I've seen one of our guys with a rudder/elevator glider do a roll with it, an done purpose also.

Don
Old 11-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Jon, get some balsa, a little covering, a couple servos and extensions or Y harness, some linkages and spend a few hours fixing this build error. [img][/img]
Don
I have thougth about that, but, I don't knwo if I wan tot try to tackle that project, it already has a good amount of dehidrel built in.

I am a little supprised to put the rudder on the aileron channel, but I guess it makes sense.

Thanks

Jon
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I learned how to fly RC on the Kadet Senior. Plugging the Rudder servo in the Aileron jack on the receiver is the way to do it. It flies just fine that way. Best suggestion I can give is maiden it when the winds are low. It's kind of big kite with all that wing area. Mine only has a TT GP 42 and believe it or not, it flies fine, nice and slow.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will enjoy the maiden. The kit built versions are stock without ailerons are fully capable of most rolling manuvers. The airplane can be quite aerobatic with just rudder, elevator, throttle.

There is no need to be aprehensive at all They are wondereful flyers and yes like everyone has said it is SOP to plug the rudder to your aileron stick. You will not really know you are flying without ailerons and do not really need to do much different.

For what its worth when flying Rudder, aileron, throttle only increased dihedral increases roll rate quite the opposite when ailerons are used.

The Arf version of the Senior with ailerons has one half the dihedral of the kit built version which does not have ailerons.

John
Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 AM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just watch out for the nose to drop a little if you hold to much rudder for too long in a turn.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Minnreefer

Thanks guys, I got it from a great older gentelman, He had an os 40 four stroke on it, I think I may put a 40 2 stroke on it. I am pretty sure that it is a kit built, I pulled out the old receiver battery, it was dated 1990. My son is excited about his new plane.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your transmitter will do it, I recommend mixing the rudder channel with the aileron channel. The reason is that you are used to using the rudder stick while on the ground for steering.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

If your transmitter will do it, I recommend mixing the rudder channel with the aileron channel. The reason is that you are used to using the rudder stick while on the ground for steering.

This is an a great idea, which will help soften the transition to full house setups for the young man. Primary dirctional control (mode 11) in flight will be on the right stick and on the ground you can teach them to taxi with the left. I have not done this in the past but will in the future. Thanks HP.

Minnreefer you could not have picked a better airplane for your very young student and the no aileron version is an asset in this situation preferrable.

This is Larry. He has been sorta flying for five years and up till recently has never really learned how to fly and this has been made worse with his insistance on the usual very inappropriate airplanes.

I was finally able to convince him to make a deal with me and I built a Senior for him my way with my choice of new engines that he was to provide (an LA .65). Deliberately without ailerons and large oversize quality air filled wheels

Also part of the deal was I was to do the mentoring and this worked out very well. In this case a buddy box was not needed and he finally is flying genuinely on his own as well as progressing. Something that had not occured in all that time since his supposed solo somewhere and that long list of destroyed airplanes he has been through.

The Senior excells at this type of mission and Minnreefer I am interested in your very young students progress with this setup. The youngest I have mentored has been aroung nine I think.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85151.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1314547  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned on three channels and before I switched to four I did exactly what High Plains recommends in order to teach myself to use the left stick to steer on the ground. I was used to using the right stick for ground steering. After that, switching to ailerons was effortless.

Rudder in the aileron channel does make sense because with the extra dihedral of a three channel ship you have a lot of roll coupling, so rudder is effectively a roll command in most circumstances, just like aileron. The exception is a stall turn, where there is almost no forward motion and therefore little roll coupling. With my computer radio I taught myself to use the left stick for that so I was used to doing it correctly later on. I had a ball teaching myself to fly, starting with rudder and throttle, then three channels, and finally four.

Jim