Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ignition Install

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ignition Install

Old 12-15-2009, 06:41 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Install

Need some advice on the best way to install an ignition.

In process of getting a Rascal 110 together and wanted to see how other guys are installing their ignition modules. This is my first gasser and need advise.

I know that it needs to be isolated from vibration, but what is the best way? Does an ignition get too hot to be rapped totally in foam? There is tons of room in the nose of this plane, but it would be impossible to access the firewall to secure "properly". It's just too dang far to it to reach it. I guess I could cut an access out, but I totally don't want to do that. I had one of the guys from the flying field tell me just to pack it in foam so that it wouldn't move around and I have a piece of "furniture foam" large enough to carve out and pack in the nose so that it wouldn't move, but that is when I thought about the heat thing.

The ignition "pick-up" line is too short to get too far from the inside of the firewall, so the ignition will have to be very close.

Any feedback is welcomed.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ignition Install

I've got a couple of gassers w/ electronic ignition. One, a DA-50R I have foam behind the modual and it is zip tied against that foam. Another, an Evolution 26GT, I have wraped and packed in foam for the same reason you state. The pick up is so short and up under the gas tank is the only place I could put it.

I have a Rascal 110 with a Nitro guzzling OS 1.60 on it. I am very curious as to what gas engine you have selected for this plane????
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I've got a couple of gassers w/ electronic ignition. One, a DA-50R I have foam behind the modual and it is zip tied against that foam. Another, an Evolution 26GT, I have wraped and packed in foam for the same reason you state. The pick up is so short and up under the gas tank is the only place I could put it.

I have a Rascal 110 with a Nitro guzzling OS 1.60 on it. I am very curious as to what gas engine you have selected for this plane????
I assembled a couple of them for people and they used the RC Showcase 1.40 22cc gasser for them. The rear induction carb is a pain to set up linkage for!! One fellow I fly with today set one up with the CRRC 26cc and that was a very good choice. I'm starting to really like some of these engines from China, very light weight and smooth running.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

The Evolution 26GT is what is going in it. I can't wait to get it done, but at the same time I want to make sure that I do it right. I am pretty meticulous about how I do things with my planes, so I have to keep telling myself to slow down and make sure it's right and works well.

I have been told that that engine is a great engine and will pull it very well.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

The rear induction carb is a pain to set up linkage for!! One fellow I fly with today set one up with the CRRC 26cc and that was a very good choice.

I'm starting to really like some of these engines from China, very light weight and smooth running.
To each their own on the rear carbs I guess.

I normally find that because the rear carbs hang off the back of the engine, I need to do far less butchering of the cowl.
I also normally put the throttle & choke servos in the mounting box interior, with a direct link to the throttle and chokes.

-

I've also had good luck with the Chinese engines ( aren't they all Chinese for that matter, except for the Japanese engines? )... but I find that the small Chinese gassers produce less power than other equivalents.

e.g. the Evolution 26GT is FAR more powerful, and smaller than my 26cc Chinese engines.

But the later sure are priced right, and they run well...