Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Setting up Radio (T6xas) for edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Setting up Radio (T6xas) for edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up Radio (T6xas) for edge 540

Hey all,

I just broke out my Futaba T6XAS and started reading through the manual. I know how to set basic functions, D/R, exp etc. My question is whether I will need Aileron/Rudder mixing, I read on 540's that this is necessary. Is this true?? Also should I be utilizing any type of aileron differential as well?? The plane is a Great planes 50 inch EP 540. I do not plan on doing all out 3d flight for awhile.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Setting up Radio (T6xas) for edge 540

You are probably not going to like this answer, but I think it needs to be said. Going back to your other thread where you asked if the 540 was a good second plane, my best advice to you would be to hang up the 540 and fly some of the more traditional "second planes" until you've got some experience flying before you start with the 540. An Edge is just too much of an aerobatic plane to use for your second plane

But to answer your question about the mixing. For advanced mixing functions settings such as you've asked about, those should not be dialed into the radio until after it's been flown. You will have no idea what the plane is going to need until you get it in the air and start flying it. Then you can determine what mixing it needs. If you start trying to set those now you may very well have a plane that is uncontrollable once it's in the air. I've seen this happen many times where people want to play with all the bells and whistles on a radio and wind up doing more damage than good.

As I said above, get a more foregiving plane for your second plane until you've got plenty of experience then you can maybe move up to the 540. And no, simulator doesn't count!!

Ken

Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people (including me) avoid aileron/rudder mixing.

It is most desireable to have some aileron differential in to have turns 'follow through' better with more drag on the inside turn of that aileron.

In other words, the aileron that goes 'down' is not as much as the aileron that goes 'up'.

..... Sorry to post it if you knew that already, new pilots take note of this good tip please.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
stangman67

Thanks for the replies, and Ken, I do not mind that answer at all. I certainly realize going straight to an edge wasn't a good idea, it kind of happened without me really thinking about it. I was going to get a Typhoon 2 3d which is foam and I thought I could learn some 3d maneuvers on it, but then I started looking into other things and found this plane. I probably should have went with the Super Sportster EP instead, I want to keep an electric plane because I live in an apt and don't want the Nitro in my room or the smell from the burnt fuel in my apt. I kind of have all my eggs in one basket now, if it is possible to use all the same elecs from the edge 540 in the super sportster, I may decide to go that direction.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
opjose

Get the Super Sporster EP.

It is more forgiving than the Edge.

You'll enjoy it.

Concentrate on getting it set up and flying.

Then get the parts for the Edge and build that as well.

It's always better in my opinion to haul out TWO planes to the field, just in case you have problems with one, you can fly the other.

Also the 2200mAh packs the Edge uses can be used for the SuperSportster just fine.

I use TWO of them in parallel on the SS to get up to 30 minutes of flight time for each go! ( see my Gallery ).
The packs do not even get warm this way...

The SuperSporster CAN use the same size motor, but a slightly smaller one is probably better to conserve weight.

The SS runs like a demon @ 28 Amps using a 1100KV motor and a 9x6E prop or so.

For the Edge you want a bigger prop for thrust and 3D, plus that lower KV motor for torque.

The same chargers, TX, and batteries can be used for both planes, so you can stock up on 2200's at places that sell them inexpensively.

Get at least 20C-25C packs.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
stangman67

Well this is what I have now. 2 Rhino 2150 mah 20c lipo packs, the 800kv motor recommended for the edge, 45a brushless , micro servos, 12x6 and 13x8 props. I don't really want to spend any more money on parts, so spending the 100 on the ss will be a push, but if I can get by using the same motor and batteries I may do it.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
stangman67

Well it looks like everything will work, the motor is 10 mm longer but I think I can figure out the cowl clearances. Or maybe I will just build up the Edge and hang it on the wall and hopefully by then I will have some spare funds to get the sportster and associated parts
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
opjose

Buy a NEW motor for the Sportster. There are good fairly inexpensive motors available... as you know...

You can use the ESC you have now and I also believe that you can use the servos too. The Sportster needs Mini servos.

Get the Sportster working so you can fly it using what you already have... but reserve that motor for the Edge.

Then you can work on getting the Edge together separately. A new ESC and parts for it, can be had later.

Have someone trim out and maiden the Sportster for you.

It has some yaw tendancies at run-up.

Use the two Rhino packs in parallel ( Hint: Tower sells an inexpensive Deans Parallel adaptor or make one... ).

Using the two packs in parallel will produce less wear and tear on the batteries, while optimizing flight times.

Three 10 minute flights using the doubled up packs is doable... and when you buy your field charger or if you already have a 12v charger, you can recharge at the field for three more flights.

Given that the Sportster uses the same size packs, you will later want to invest in at least two more packs...

Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 PM
stangman67

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking over at hobbyking, fairly nice looking Hacker motors for cheap and the esc's are pretty affordable as well. I think I will end up building the planes up separately and have 2 planes ready to go at anytime. I am in no rush to start flying right now especially with the weather in Washington so I will build up the edge since I have it now and all the parts, hang it on the wall and save up for the sportster and then fly that a bunch before I move up to the edge.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM
opjose

Good idea.

Don't be tempted to haul out the Edge once you are done.

Get some time in with the Sportster.

Many of the things which it will teach you will apply to the Edge, like how to deal with takeoff yaw and tail draggers.

You will not tire of the Sportster and both planes are different enough that they will hold your interest.