Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine tuning?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
F-18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tuning?

Whats the proper way to tune a 2-stroke glow engine? I can't seem to get it quite right.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Engine tuning?

That depends on what engine you are talking about, but I think most 2 cycles start with the high speed needle 2 turns out. You always get the high speed needle adjusted before messing with the low speed adjustment. After the engine is broken in well I use my trim on my radio to set the idle I want and to shut the engine down if need.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
F-18

Oh sorry its a Evolution .60.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically tuning most all engines is about the same. To begin engine must be broken in by running (preferrably on the bench). Depending on engine this can be done in just a few tankfuls. This though will differ if it's a ringed engine which will take far longer. Once broken in start by leaning high speed needle to get max rpm then back off a bit. Next bring it to idle, it should run fine but if not you may have to adjust low speed needle. Do this with only slight adjustments. If there is an improvement readjust the high speed needle again since low and high do interact to a degree. If all is well now go from idle to high and see what it does. should do fine but if it quits low is probably too lean. If gurgles and hesitates going to high, low is too rich. You want a oerfecly smooth transision. Usually all this is not difficult but does take some practise to define what needs doing. Once you think you have it right then put in plane and check there could be needing slight readjustment due to tank location etc. final test is when running at full throttle carefully raise nose straight up if it leans some open high speed slightly .
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
IFR Pilot

Generally speaking, close the main needle and open it 2, or 2 and a half turns. Be careful when closing the main needle as closing it too hard can damage internal parts and you'll have real problems, you may have to buy a new main needle if it gets damaged.Start the engine and keep a close eye on the temperature. I usually keep the temp around 190 and 210 degrees. Buy a temp gun, It'll be worth every penny. The temp should never read 250, 230 atthe most if you wantthe engineto last.

Run several tanks through the engine whilekeeping an eye on the temp. The quicker the throttle response, the more it's being broke-in, or running-in as some call it. As you notice the engine being broke-in, give theengine full throttleand turn the main needle clock-wise until the highest rpm is reached and immediately turn the main needle counter-clockwise until you hear a decrease in rpm, that tells you it hasthe right air/ fuel mixture.

Next, give the engine full throttle andpoint the aircraft upward and downward 30 degrees and listen for increases, or decrease in rpm. Slight decreases, or increases is ok, if the engine stops running, the low speed set screw on the carberator needs to be adjusted richer, or leaner, thats all....

Keep in mind, engines run richer on a stand still, or on the ground, because of prop pressureand run leaner in the air,.Stay on the rich side until you gain experience.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Buy a temp gun, It'll be worth every penny. The temp should never read 250, 230 at the most if you want the engine to last.
Where in tarnation did you get this spec from? I've never seen anyone use a temp gun on an airplane, mostly because with a prop spinning between 11,000 and 13,000 RPM its darn near impossible to get a correct reading.

High speed needle settings vary as well depending on temperature, altitude, humidity, etc, but in my experience 2-2 1/2 turns is extremely rich. Most of my engines have ended up between 1 and 1-1/2 turns out. Your setting will be determined by starting the engine, warming it up, setting the needle to peak RPM and then richening it until you hear a slight drop (200-500 rpm if you're using a tachometer).

After a few tanks, you'll begin adjusting the low speed needle, and this is where you tell the difference between someone who knows how to tune and engine and someone that doesn't. Throttle transition is the real test you're looking for on the low speed, because that's the performance you're looking for. You can tell if you're close with pinch tests at low speed, but good transition and smooth, low idle are more sensitive, in my experience.

With the plane warmed up and the high speed needle set as previously described, bring the throttle down to your lowest reliable idle. Listen carefully for the next 30-60 seconds. Does the idle speed increase or decrease while your waiting? If it does, you're slightly off, but you can't really tell which direction yet. Punch the throttle to full. If the engine hesitates or burbles, then spins up to full throttle, you're low end is rich. If it hesitates and then dies, you're low end is probably a little lean. Make a SMALL adjustment to the low end (1/8 turn or less) and repeat this procedure, including resetting the high speed needle. If after 3-4 adjustments (1/2 turn total) you're not seeing any improvement, return to your original setting and go the other direction. Go a full turn if necessary this time, but again, if no improvement, return to the original setting. Keep working this way until you get a smooth transition, and a steady, low (2500 rpm or less) idle speed.

Brad
Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You set every engine by ear! simple as that!
That's how racers do it that way as well as sport fliers. There isn't any better (exact) way of doing it!The human ear (and brain) is wonder full thing.

If you cannot hear 100-200rpm difference ...you can use a tach.

A temp gun isn't used at all for setting engines. They are however sometimes used in R/C car racing for checking head temperatures.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Buy a temp gun, It'll be worth every penny. The temp should never read 250, 230 at the most if you want the engine to last.
Where in tarnation did you get this spec from? I've never seen anyone use a temp gun on an airplane, mostly because with a prop spinning between 11,000 and 13,000 RPM its darn near impossible to get a correct reading.

High speed needle settings vary as well depending on temperature, altitude, humidity, etc, but in my experience 2-2 1/2 turns is extremely rich. Most of my engines have ended up between 1 and 1-1/2 turns out. Your setting will be determined by starting the engine, warming it up, setting the needle to peak RPM and then richening it until you hear a slight drop (200-500 rpm if you're using a tachometer).

After a few tanks, you'll begin adjusting the low speed needle, and this is where you tell the difference between someone who knows how to tune and engine and someone that doesn't. Throttle transition is the real test you're looking for on the low speed, because that's the performance you're looking for. You can tell if you're close with pinch tests at low speed, but good transition and smooth, low idle are more sensitive, in my experience.

With the plane warmed up and the high speed needle set as previously described, bring the throttle down to your lowest reliable idle. Listen carefully for the next 30-60 seconds. Does the idle speed increase or decrease while your waiting? If it does, you're slightly off, but you can't really tell which direction yet. Punch the throttle to full. If the engine hesitates or burbles, then spins up to full throttle, you're low end is rich. If it hesitates and then dies, you're low end is probably a little lean. Make a SMALL adjustment to the low end (1/8 turn or less) and repeat this procedure, including resetting the high speed needle. If after 3-4 adjustments (1/2 turn total) you're not seeing any improvement, return to your original setting and go the other direction. Go a full turn if necessary this time, but again, if no improvement, return to the original setting. Keep working this way until you get a smooth transition, and a steady, low (2500 rpm or less) idle speed.

Brad
You don't know what you are talking about and are full of crap.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Lnewqban

Hi, F-18.

The age of your engine also makes a difference.

If too new, the internal parts are too tight and fine-tuning is useless. At that stage, the engine needs to be broken-in, in order to achieve the proper clearance among those parts. Only after that period, the engine will hold any tune setting.

If too old, the compression may be insufficient, due to ware out piston-cylinder, or the old gaskets, carb’s barrel and o-rings may be letting extra air into the crankcase. Any of those things are able to drive any carburetor tuner crazy.

If your engine is not too new or too old, you should be able to tune it properly, using a new glow plug, new fuel, and checking the condition of the needle’s seals, the proper fuel plumbing (no air leaks nor fuel restrictions), as well as the tightness of all the bolts.

Regarding the best method, I have seen pilots using their ear, tachometers, thermometers, saliva, and even their fingers (not recommended for more than one try) for tuning engines. With some experience, you will find what works better for you.

The bottom line is obtaining a proper combustion thru a balance between fuel and air that is good for idle, transition and max rpm’s. That is a fine balance that is difficult, but not impossible to achieve, if all the engine’s parts and fuel are working properly. The jigsaw that you have to play with are the low and high needles, nothing else. That is why having the rest of the parts working with you and not against, is so important, especially when you are learning.

Some people learn by experimentation, some luckier people are taught by more experienced tuners. Don’t hesitate to ask for help, if you fly with experienced pilots. Regardless the method they use, their experience is priceless.

If you don’t have that opportunity because you fly alone, here you have some good references:

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/ then click on engine tuning and on glow plugs

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/needle_aero.htm

http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/m...ne-tuning.html

http://www.flyrc.com then click on sample articles then click on tune_your_engine_1.

http://www.holdfastmac.com.au/howidlemix.html

Regards!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have have the instructions they are pretty accurate. if not download them here [link=http://www.evolutionengines.com/ProdInfo/Files/Evolution_60_Engine_Instruction_Manual.pdf]CLICKY[/link]

This engine has a needle valve that was designed to be insensitive in other words you can not go too lean or too rich to start. So if you are used to something like a MDS where one or two clicks makes a difference you need to get used to making a 1/4 turn adjustment. At least that is how I found it to work.

Perhaps you could explain in more detail what the problem is?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
ezsky

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

Generally speaking, close the main needle and open it 2, or 2 and a half turns. Be careful when closing the main needle as closing it too hard can damage internal parts and you'll have real problems, you may have to buy a new main needle if it gets damaged. Start the engine and keep a close eye on the temperature. I usually keep the temp around 190 and 210 degrees. Buy a temp gun, It'll be worth every penny. The temp should never read 250, 230 at the most if you want the engine to last.

Run several tanks through the engine while keeping an eye on the temp. The quicker the throttle response, the more it's being broke-in, or running-in as some call it. As you notice the engine being broke-in, give the engine full throttle and turn the main needle clock-wise until the highest rpm is reached and immediately turn the main needle counter-clockwise until you hear a decrease in rpm, that tells you it has the right air/ fuel mixture.

Next, give the engine full throttle and point the aircraft upward and downward 30 degrees and listen for increases, or decrease in rpm. Slight decreases, or increases is ok, if the engine stops running, the low speed set screw on the carberator needs to be adjusted richer, or leaner, thats all....

Keep in mind, engines run richer on a stand still, or on the ground, because of prop pressure and run leaner in the air, . Stay on the rich side until you gain experience.
I agree with you 100%. I always use a temp gun and is always better than using spit, or burning your fingers on an overheated engine.

I gave you 5 stars for an excellent post.