Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

I think it is impossible to determine which stick configuration is best until we decide whether open gimbal or closed gimbal sticks are better.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a problem with not being able to fly other peoples planes and love the fact that people do not ask to fly mine! Being a person who flies a different mode then the majority, exempts my being expected to let people fly my stuff and this is totally fine with me.

I instructed quite a few people, back when Mode One was more popular.

I fly Mode One, because the 1st club I joined (TCRC in the Twin Cities) had more Mode One fliers then Mode Two fliers at that time. It was much easier to get help Mode One, then Mode Two.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Salinas H.

Don't worry about which will "convert" to full-scale as the answers is "neither". I was in avaition club in college and accumulated 15 hours of fixed wing/single-engine and an hour of glider in full size (and finished ground school) while also getting to fly r/c (mode 2) when I was first learning both. There is no real similarity among sport or most models, though a trainer or J-3 Cub model can be flown as "real".

How often do you confuse your thumb with your feet? The feeling of the rudder pedals has no r/c equivalent. The sensation of turn and bank has no equivalent. The horizion stays put and the aircraft moves (opposite of the visual inputs you get in "real" flight). You NEVER land at yourself in real flight and have to compensate for reversed visual tracking.

The theory and control movements are the same, but the sensations and muscles involved are MUCH different.

Also, in theory, I would say mode 3 makes the most sense (swap the rudder and elevator functions so the left stick is ailerons and throttle). Should make it easy to do nice coordinated elevator/rudder movements.

I've only ever flown mode 2 and it's too late for me to change. However, I think if it offerred significant advantages I would see more people using it. We have six "real" pilots in our club and no one out of 35 members flies mode 1 that I know of. In the last club I belonged to there were half-a-dozen of the pattern pilots (and the same guys were also Quickee-racers) who flew mode 1 but even then the majority of both were using mode 2. You get used to either, I imagine. Flying R/C is a conditioned reflex.

I also note that in R/C, real flight or even driving cars - some folks make the motions and others slip the vehicle on like it was a suit and become part of it. The modes may attract different personality types or spacially diverse mind sets. That is, one mode may suit you better but there is no best among the modes (1,2, 3).
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One is not better than the other. I grew up flying mode 1 and when I got back in that is were I went. Ended up with a radio that could not be field modified and having to fly many other's planes on mode 2, I switched. Many pattern fliers fly mode 1 but then you got Chip Hyde flying stick and mode 2 to championships. I miss mode 1 some times and if I had my preference I would fly mode 1 for sport and mode 2 for scale. I find whatever I start out with that day is what I fly best with that day.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Seems obvious to me too, but then again we could argue all day : and aside from what real fighter pilots use, mode 2 proponents would be out of arguments.

I just cant make up my mind.

Keep the feedback coming guys. It is really very informative and interesting so far.

At this point I am leaning back towards mode 2,

Respectfully, Salinas Hawk
I fly Mode 2 myself, simply because I'm right handed and I like to pretend it's a "real" aeroplane. As far as I'm concerned it's a hobby, for amusement, not a competition (although for some it is!).
I always thought that Mode 1 was Ailerons and Elevator on the Left stick as opposed to the right stick. Silly me!

Whenever I had a full-size general handling test, I always did better in aircraft that required the use of the left hand for the control column, even though I'm right handed. A senior RAF instructor offered the opinion that this was because the act of controlling an aircraft is principally an artistic endeavour, which is a right-brain activity.
By deliberately forcing use of the left hand and therefore the right brain, one stimulates the correlation between the appropriate motor and cognitive skills.
I've never tested that theory on models on the grounds that I'm paying for the plane!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Being a pylon racer for 25 years or more I can assure you that most pylon racers world wide fly mode 2.
This comes natural because it's much easier to control one stick than two.
Mode 2 is more like the real stuff as you fly a plane, full size or model with either a stick like all WW fighter planes (and modern fighter) and control rudder and throttle (not so important functions) with whats over....mostly your left hand where precision isn't that important!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
davo580

instead of giving him a heap of biased input try encourage him. give him some advise instead of pushing him in one direction. he is right that mainly usa uses mode 2. here in aussie we use both it is a personal choice.like futaba v jr v hitech. it ones choice. both modes got their best attributes
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Mode One

When people ask this question, they are totally unbiased about the choice they are attempting to make. It's maybe the last time they can actually be unbiased about the subject!

When we R/Cers start out with this discussion, it always seems to get emotional! Why, I haven't a clue!

I will say the question seems to bring out the most inane responses: one being better then the other, one is easier then the other, one is more like real then the other, one is better because the primary controls are on one stick, one is better because the primary controls are divided on two sticks, it goes on, and on, and on, with all these points that are really just plain B.S.!

The bottom line is: I fly Mode One, because that's how I was taught and you Mode Two fliers fly Mode Two, because that is how you were taught! End of discussion!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
stevenwill

Perhaps the following would be a bit of good advise. Join a local club, chat to the blokes you will be flying with and who ultimately will be helping you. See what mode they are flying. As it helps very little if everyone is on mode 2 and you are on mode 1 and you need some help. And at some stage everybody needs some help in this hobby be it just an engine not running correctly or sticking servo or a glitch that you just cannot track down. I found that especially when starting out a lot of help was given to me by club members even today it is always best to discuss your new purchase, it's amazing what mods they will come up with to improve flight performance etc.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth. All the best with your decision.

By the way I fly mode 1 but I am in Aussie if I was in the States I would probably fly mode 2!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mode One

When people ask this question, they are totally unbiased about the choice they are attempting to make. It's maybe the last time they can actually be unbiased!

When we R/Cers start out with this discussion, it always seems to get emotional! Why, I haven't a clue!

I will say the question seems to bring out the most moronic responses: one being better then the other, one is easier then the other, one is more like real then the other, one is better because the primary controls are on one stick, one is better because the primary controls are divided on two sticks, it goes on, and on, and on, with all these points that are really just plain B.S.!

The bottom line is: I fly Mode One, because that's how I was taught and you Mode Two fliers fly Mode Two, because that is how you were taught! End of discussion!
Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to get at in my post...
If I learned to fly here I'd probably be flying mode 2 now instead of mode 1.
There is no wrong or right. You aren't going to burn in the deepest pitts if you fly this or that mode.

I think starting out here in the US as an absolute beginner I'd go out to the local flying field and talk to them as well as an instructor. They'd probably push what ever they fly but for me or an absolute beginner and I'd listen because if I need help then there will be more options for help that way.

Just my 3.4 cents worth
George
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
alfredbmor

I learned to fly RC models on mode one, my instructor had the knowledge to fly both modes but it was his preference to fly on mode one and also used to teach to all newcomers to fly on mode one.
I moved and stud away from the hobby for about 3 years, then I went to the local field and found out that every one flew on mode two, I did not much questions and I relearned to fly in mode two, why? My guess was simple, if for any reason I would need help from any other guy at the field when flying my models; I wish this guy could have the abilities to maintain the plane in flight.
I did not forget how to fly on mode one, it is simple for me, even though I have to get acquainted every time that I need to do it (not often).
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
tralalala

I started out flying mode 1 in Asia, when I was still young. I then picked up mode 2 after buying a new radio in the U.S.. The transition wasn't a big deal especially since I had never fully mastered mode 1. Today, I could still fly a mode 1 airplane, but would struggle with a mode 1 heli.

With regards to which is preferable, I personally think mode 1 is suitable for airplane 3D flying, while mode 2 is suitable for helicopter 3D flying.

It is just easier to twirl the rudder/elevator stick in mode 1 for flying rolling harriers (plane), just as it is easier to twirl the cyclic pitch/roll stick on mode 2 for piroflips (heli). Trying to coordinate a circular motion across two sticks is sloppy at best, not to mention any accidental input to the remaining 2 channels.

Now there are guys that fly mode 2 that do perfect rolling harriers, and there are mode 1 heli pilots that can piroflip as well. But given enough practice and talent, humans have the ability to adapt and overcome most shortfalls. It doesn't mean what they're doing is ideal, nor intuitive. Mode 2 heli pilots still do the fastest, lowest, most precise piroflips hands down. I've seen exceptional mode 1 pilots do piroflips as well, but they're just not the same.

Maybe one of these days I shall go back to mastering mode 1, and fly only airplanes in that mode.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Mode One

Reference has been made about Mode One radios not being available here in the U.S. Any radio available here in the US can be switched to any of the four modes. It's a simple matter to convert a Mode Two transmitter to Mode One: swap the springs on the Mode Two elevator with the ratchet on the Mode Two throttle. If the conversion takes more then this, send the transmitter to the manufacturer/distributor/repair shop and have them do the conversion for you. I have had all my Airtronics radios converted to Mode One and all it has ever cost me is the shipping cost to where I sent it for the conversion.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I think it is impossible to determine which stick configuration is best until we decide whether open gimbal or closed gimbal sticks are better.

WHAT?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Steve Landron

As you can tell from the many different posts, it's all about choice. The best advice given is if you're a new to the hobby and trying to learn to fly RC, fly what your instructor fly’s, it's that simple. My choice is mode two for a number of reasons, #1 it's closest to full size configuration for me, aileron/elevator on right stick (I have about 30 hours dual time) and of course most importantly I'm comfortable with it.

Steve

[8D]
Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: Steve Landron
As you can tell from the many different posts, it's all about choice. The best advice given is if you're a new to the hobby and trying to learn to fly RC, fly what your instructor fly’s, it's that simple. My choice is mode two for a number of reasons, #1 it's closest to full size configuration for me, aileron/elevator on right stick (I have about 30 hours dual time) and of course most importantly I'm comfortable with it.

Steve [8D]
Steve, what type airplanes do you have 30 hours in. I have maybe 1 hour in a Citabria Scout and the rest (160 hours) in Cessna 150,152s and 172s. I consider only the 1 hour in the Citabria would be somewhat similar to Mode Two. The Cessna time is similar to Mode Three, or Mode Four (unsure which) with Elevator & Ailerons on the left and Throttle on the right, then there is the pesky problem of how using a stick to control what all full scale airplanes have controlled by the feet: THE RUDDER, how is this like anything at all, in full scale aviation?

However, if you Mode Two guys want to hang onto your fantasy of your Mode being more like flying real airplanes, Good Luck With That! I'll stay with believing my flying Mode One is exactly like flying R/C airplanes!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

..................I would love to be the cool guy that flys mode 1 in the US, ...............
ummmm.... QQ and I are the Cool Mode 1 flyers in the USA....

lol

I think that at the last FAI F3A World Championships.... out of the top 10 pilots....
Jason and Andrew were the Only Mode 2 pilots....

(Maybe some one else can confirm that?)

In 3D, particularly Rolling Harriers.... Mode 1 is more intuitive/easier.... set the aileron, set the throttle
and just stir coffe on the left stick.....

Some examples here....
http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/FA...9-Duralite.wmv

and here

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/Ha..._Reversals.MPG

and maybe one'r'two here....

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/WWWIII_P2.wmv (starting at about 2:30)

and a few here....

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/SX-Cable-2009.wmv

in my little experiance flying full size.... the mode 1 thing didn't cause problems....
flying a real airplane is so different.... (you feel things).. that my mind didn't mix the two...

Bottom Line... IMHO, fly the mode that your friends fly.....

But!!!....IMHO, for racing and precision flying, Mode 1 makes more sense....
seperating the two most influential controls enables more precision on each....

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

.......... At least Mode 2 has the advantage of logically being similar to a full size plane's stick.
so..... these are model airplanes... not real airplanes....

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

The English drive on the wrong side of the road,
lol.... no... they drive on the "Left" side of the road....

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

If you desire to be the best flyer in your club, you need to fly Mode 1. ........... When you see a Mode 1 flyer take note as to whether he is or is not the best and smoothest flyer at the field that day.

If you plan to fly pylon, Mode 1 is far better. It is much easier to rotate the wings and then pull elevator around the pylon without moving the ailerons unintentionally.

One of the best model flyers I have ever know, Steve Ellison of Oregon, started with Mode 2 and switched to Mode 1 when he started flying pylon. He never looked back.

Also the very best model pilot I have ever seen fly flies Mode 1, Ted White of Arizona. He never won major contest like the Nationals because he did not practice or commit to it.

Be the expert at your field - fly Mode 1. Don't worry about what the others are flying, you'll be out flying them anyway.

Ralph White
Neoga, IL

yeah... I gotta agree with this......

ORIGINAL: Bonified Wingnut

Try scratching your nose while you fly in mode 1, theres a lot of insects here in MI.-BW

But everyone knows... the bugs only come around when you are doing a torque roll..... try to scratch in a torque roll while flying mode 2!!! lol

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

Mode - 2 is right, mode - 1 is not

OMG... THE master has spoken... this thread should have just ended here!!!

lol

Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Beam
My Feedback: (1)

The answer is simple. In the USA, only one to a hand full of people at any club, with exceptions, fly Mode 1. If you are learning, or have soloed; sooner or later you will need help, asked for help, or just want to fly someone's plane. If you fly their mode you will be able to fly off of their transmitter. It just makes it simple.

40 plus years ago when I learned to fly, there was the right side and left side of the flight line. I picked the left, they were Mode 1 flyers. With the old radios, (Kraft and others), it was simple to make the change. Newer ones take a little more work.

One good thing about flying Mode 1, my friend (mode 2), and I fly each others stuff all of the time. No one ever knows that I am flying his. It does make some for some laughs when he sets his transmitter on the deck and I take over. It is our wireless Buddy Box.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
BelAirBob

Gee, I learned to fly with one crummy button on the transmitter. It was one of the first Futaba;s in this country back in the 60's. Press the button once for right rudder, twice quick for left rudder. With practice, one could do loops, rolls, etc with my Mini Mambo. By the way, you had to first wind the rubber band to power the escapement.

This proves what many have been saying....it is what you learn and continue to practice on. Reeds were a little before my time, but there were some great reed flyers out there. Each channel had a switch....the control was all or nothing, but people could fly smoothly by blipping the switches.

Actually one of my favorite transmitters was an Orbit single stick. I don;t know if anyone ever won a contest with one or flew pylon, but it was very comfortable to hold and rudder control was extremely easy. I thought it was really great for a sailplane.

And to toss out one more question....blondes or brunettes?

belair bob
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
tralalala

Just wanted to add that whichever mode you end up committing to, will have little to no effect on full scale control. You'll develop a totally new set of muscle memory and skill set for full scale control. Any benefits you may carry over from R/C to full scale lies in your naturally born spacial awareness and motor skill, not your TX mode preference.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Steve Landron

Plane crazy,

As I stated "For Me" it's most like full size. Cessna 150, 140, 172, Grumman Tiger, Piper Tomahawk.

It's all about choice and my opinion was not to debate, just stating what I prefer. And yes I like my fantacy. My brother by the way flys for air Wisconson and has about 10,000 hours he also flys mode two. Go figure..

Steve
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Mode One

Look, I'm not here to get into big arguments either. However, when I see illogical position statements asserting something being like; or, being better then, something else and used to influence decisions others are trying to make, I'm sorry, I'm going to disagree.

The reality is: Flying R/C is not like flying full scale, period! You don't use your thumbs; or, thumbs and forefingers to control full scale airplanes. Really the only thing that transfers between the two is the understanding of what, does what.

I have no problem with the vast majority of R/Cers in the US flying Mode Two and if the majority of them would simply stop with this assertion that flying their way is more like flying real airplanes, I'd likely have less to say when this topic about Mode One vs Mode Two, comes up. This is especially true, when you consider that very few full scale airplanes use the joy stick anymore!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
bodasious
My Feedback: (1)

What do you mean there are very few full scale flying with a joystick.

To all: What does it matter about Mode 1 or 2 who care. Let the man fly already! Pick one learn it do it dont try it
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM
littlera

Salinas Hawk,

I believe the more improtant question here is why would you (or anyone else) choose to try to teach themselves to fly R/C when they belong to and presumably have the considerable resources of a great club available to them to effectively teach them to fly?????

Join in!!!! People will be glad to help you learn. I guarantee it. Also, as someone pointed out, you can buddy box with modern radios with any combination of modes you want. 1 can teach 2; 2 can teach 1; 2 can teach 2; 1 can teach 1. So, if you want an instructor, your mode choice can be independent of the mode the instructor flies. Neat!

If you go it alone, I predict that (1) you will destroy a lot of airplanes; (2) endanger those around you; (3) spend a lot of unnecessary money and (perhaps more importantly) time building and rebuilding planes; (4) will get fed up and quit before ever learning to fly successfully. I have seen this happen.

I have been flying Mode 1 for 35 years. It is obviously the best way to fly (OK, that is just my opinion!) I have also done some full scale flying in the past, and I can assure you that your RC mode will have no impact on your actions, reactions, or thinking in the cockpit of a full scale. As others have pointed out, to two activities and their controls are just too different to have much correlation. I think being an R/C flyer will help you understand the dynamics of full scale flight however.

I taught a Navy OCS candidate (will be flight training this year) to fly R/C last year, and he concurs that the experience has started him on his way. Although he was a newly minted aerospace engineer (I am an aero engineer too, but far from newly minted) he says that learning to fly has reinforced practically what he learned in the classroom. I told him it would before we started. By the way, I taught him to fly Mode 2 from my Mode 1 transmitter via the buddy box. Worked great!

DON'T GO IT ALONE. There is no good reason to do it and many good reasons to use an instructor.

Randy L
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Steve Landron

Mode one,

I just want to know where’s the yoke is on the Helo's (CH-46’s,) the F-18's parked on the flight deck above my head (CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan) an Aircraft Carrier. For that matter; the RV-4's, RV-6's, Kit Foxes, numerous other kit planes and new aircraft on the market today. Again if you did not feel so strongly about MODE ONE verse MODE TWO why is MODE One your screen name? I personally don’t get it.

On a side note, this is just a Hobby forum, why all of the major debates? WHO CARES how you fly your planes and helos, just do it in a safe manner.

I truly wish some people would get over the incessant need to correct people putting themself on a pedestal. Go out and fly, get off this forum and do something (shovel snow?). I’m stuck on watch for a few more hours but after that I’m out of here and will be flying my helo.

Interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.