Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Against everybody's suggestions and my own good judgement I maidened my Edge today

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Against everybody's suggestions and my own good judgement I maidened my Edge today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Against everybody's suggestions and my own good judgement I maidened my Edge today

And it was awesome! I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle it since everyone told me it would be way too responsive. It was responsive on low rates but certainly controllable. It flew great right from the takeoff, only took a few clicks of aileron trim and it was flying straight and true. I only got three 5 minute flights in before the rain came but it was so much fun. Did some basic aerobatics, loops, snap rolls, barrel rolls, immelman turns. I am really glad I decided to fly this plane without buying another transition plane. Landing came as a surprise as well, glided right on in without much power at all. (it is a Great Planes 50 inch EP Edge 540 btw)

As you probably can tell, I am giddy!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Against everybody's suggestions and my own good judgement I maidened my Edge today

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
drube

Default RE: Against everybody's suggestions and my own good judgement I maidened my Edge today

Did you do alot of sim training? Just wondering as i'm getting ready to fly with my instructor for the first time. I'll belearning on a seagull spacewalker ll but wouldn't have the heart to take up my GP F4U kit with no experience other than my G4.5. Way to many hours into it ,that's why i'm training on an ARF. Won't hurt as bad... I hope.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
stangman67

Yes tons of realflight training and I have mastered a 40 size trainer and have flown a few other "sport" planes. I was pretty confident I could fly it but everyone kept saying it was gonna be too much for me (which is understandable, the plane is certainly not a good second plane for most people). Either way, going up with an instructor is the only way to start out imo. I was a natural and was off the buddy box after 1 flight but I have seen many people struggle a lot even after realflight training. For the most part real Flight is a good sim, it will give you the basic idea but is certainly not 100 percent correct.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
AH1G

Congrats!
Now you need to learn to fly between the rain drops if your going to fly between September and May over there on the coast.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
stangman67

Thanks! Yup, the weather was looking nice today for awhile but then it started drizzling. Last Saturday was BEAUTIFUL but I was waiting for my lipos t get here Hopefully tomorrow or monday will be nice so I can get up to the field and get a few more flights in.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know about the weather in WA., but down here in central Ca. there talking about 4 to 10 inches of rain the next week and a half, and maybe 10 to 12 feet of snow in the Sierra's. I don't think I'll be flying much for a while. Congrats on the Maiden
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
stangman67

Got a few more flights in today in some beautiful weather. I can tell my 3s lipo's aren't up to snuff. Reason to upgrade 4s and voltage regulator on the way!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
stangman67

Here she is hanging on the ceiling in its display spot!