Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How often do you get to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How often do you get to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
thedeeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How often do you get to fly?

I'm lucky because I work from home. Add in that I am only 7 minutes from our flying field, I can get in a few flights a day at lunchtime if the weather's good and then in the summer usually 4:00 pm until dark. So lots of flying for me. The added plus to the closeness to the field is that as long as the weather is good, I can fly at a moments notice.

So to answer the question - I fly every day the weather and/or the brain cooperates.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
flemflam000

I should be flying way more than I do. I live on a military base in and can fly in an open field just 100 yard from my front door. However I find that, and maybe this is because I am new to the hobby and that I only have one plane, I only fly once or twice in a two week time frame. I plan to change that soon though (weather and wife pending...).

Brett
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
psb667

About fifteen to twenty batterys and .5 to 1 gallon a week in the wintertime. 5 to 20 batterys a day in the summer and anywhere from 1 to 4 gallons a week. Depending on the weather of course. Nitro consumption may go up as ive recently aquired some more glow planes.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Active duty Navy, so besides zero flight time during my 6mo deployments, (once a year for the past two years on board CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan), I fly my Helo's a couple of times a week! I need to get the dust off my Fixed wings and start flying them again. Soon, Soon.

Steve
Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
inpieces
My Feedback: (1)

I have two very active boys (sports, academics, ect) and fly when we are not busy as a family, which has been maybe a few times a month. This year is my goal to make to many meets/fly-ins and fly much more often, weather permitting in the Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Wife also thinks I fly too much, but I don't think it's enough. However, I am fortunate enough to have a ball field a block away so I just fly electric there. I can also fly parkflyers directly out of my back yard, which is pretty great too, but the field has more space. It's to the point now though where there will be some kind of argument if I were to go fly glow out at the club field, I guess those models are essentially big paperweights. But with electrics, I fly everyday in the summer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

I have just moved in with my Girlfriend/Finance and have an agreement with her...
She understands my need to get out of the house once in a while and have some me time. I don't push the amount of days to much and she has not said no yet. She looks after my Son when I do.
In return she goes to her Cross stitching and Quilting friends and I look after her Daughter and son.
Works out ok as I get to fly usually every Sunday during the flying season with special consideration for the close by fly ins and jet meets etc.
Usually in a good month I go thru a couple of gallons of glow fuel and 5 to 10 gallons of Kero/Jet-A so that isn't to bad. (Shortly going to add Gasoline to that mix to. I guess I need to make sure I label the containers well! LOL)

George
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM
goirish

WOW!!!! Another MIchigander. Where do you fly? I am originally from Grand Blanc. use to fly off of m-21 and M-13.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: goirish

WOW!!!! Another MIchigander. Where do you fly? I am originally from Grand Blanc. use to fly off of m-21 and M-13.
LOL, I've seen a few since I moved here. I've only been a Michiander for the past 8 to 8 months.
I fly at the 'Flying Aces R/C Club' in Flint. [link=http://www.********aces.com]Club Web Site[/link] (Actually, I am the webmaster of their web site)
There is a video page link that has some flying video's at our field and one of me flying my Jet Trainer.

I'd love to maybe come and visit your club some time when the weather gets above.. well, more warmer than it is now and the white stuff on the ground turns to green stuff! LOL
Where do you fly now?

George
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
quiltsfly

I work full time, usually I fly for a few hours on Saturday (3-6) and on Sundays from about noon to 6. Here in Arizona if you can stand the heat of the summer you can fly year around. Although lately with the rain it has put a damper on flying. I came from Nebraska and glad I could sell my skiis.

Happy flying.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
CRockVet

This winter has been every day the temp is above 45 and not windy as heck.  This summer will be 4 times a week at least.  I need to fish every once in a while[8D]

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

On a good month i fly 1 time. On a bad month I cry and suck my thumb. I try to get to the hobby store and play on Realflight at least once every other week. I never get enough time to fly. But a 2year old little angel keeps me busy, and i am ok with that.

It helps i get to play with real planes.

Brian
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
quangdog

Lucky for me Ilive very close (3 houses away) from a huge park, so I can just leave for work early in the am and snatch a flight or 2 on the way to work. I usually get to fly about 3-4 times / week.

But,I just fly small (fits in my trunk)electric stuff, so pulling into the park, hopping out and chucking a plane into the air takes very little time.

You can follow my exploits with my planes here:

http://www.kimballlarsen.com/

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
coachdavis10

Every Sunday 1 until dark thirty... weather permitting of course.. But a few of us have been known to hang out in a trailer on bad days to see what happens
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I try to average once a week in good weather (spring/summer/fall). During the winter, I get out maybe once a month when a warm(er) spell comes.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I am retired and during good weather, I get out to fly 2-3 times a week during the week days. I leave the weekends to the poor guys that have to work for a living. It is a 45 minute drive out to the flying field but I have gotten use to it. One nice thing about our field is that we have remote cameras and a weather station which can be accessed through our web site so I can do a full check of conditions at the field before heading out.

Bruce
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

In the summer i get to fly between 1-2 times a week..... and get a couple all day events in if it works... in the winter i'm busy with my son's hockey and daughters dance.... both in different towns from where we live and i'm the only driver in our family so no flying/building until usually around march.

g
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
tony0707

hi retired to central FLORIDAso i could fly a lot -the weather hear is great to fly all year roundi fly 2-4 times a week get a great tan and enjoy my days a lotin the summer out earlymost leave by noonlife is good ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

Lucky Me! We are just like the florida guys ..Flew Last Week Perfect weather 70deg 15mph Wind Right down our 5000ft runway (We fly at a sleepy private airport) Zapata Tx. The guys have Named it RC Paradise. Its big(the runway) its beautiful for the big birds. We even have a LOUD PA to report in case a rare (real) airplane happens to be comming in. So we can get out of the way.... Its great!. Oh we fly year round on the weekends we still have to work! but we dont mind the drive..(45min away from town) Only thing Its very HOT[:@] in Summer... Nachman check out our site .. www.laredorc.org
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
doushiyou12

Im new, i work 40hrs a week, 10hrs shifts. im off work at 1500 Im off 3days a week. i will try to fly as much as i can. but it tough with two kids. i took out my art tech F18 edf on sund for the maiden and and yea, it didnt turn out as planned. but im working in the rebuild and should be up in the skies again. hopefully with a different outcome.

check out the crash lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3JNa2fwkA8

i hope to learn a lot more on this site.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
stevenmax50

I dont remember.  Here in North Alabama it has rained since November. 
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
GaryHarris

I tried to fly today but it was too windy. However, I went with one plane and came home with three!
A guy had a MaxfordUSA Nieuport-28, receiver ready for sale for $100 and it was just soooo pretty, I couldnt pass it up.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/hm-nieuport-28.aspx

My buddy was flying his Funtana S90 and dead sticked it. He bent up the LG a little. He never did like that plane. So he gave it to me. Saito 100, JR XP8103 8 channel radio, RX, 5 servos, EVERYTHING! FOR FREE!

Ill never fly the Funtana, but I am looking for another kit for that Saito 100.

What a great day at the field even though I didnt fly!