Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

More aeorbatics help ....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

More aeorbatics help ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:25 PM
bgorham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More aeorbatics help ....

Hi guys, me again .....

I am glad to report that I have been successful with my knife edges, and that is coming along well. Now for my next question.

Aileron rolls ... I am flying a venture .60 sport model, using the recommended throws. I played around with the aileron differential so that it rolls cleanly on it's axis.

In practicing aileron rolls, I have been running it up to 3/4 throttle, bumping up and pushing the stick to the hilt and holding it through the roll. This seams to work fine for a single roll, but I do loose altitude.

If I try to do two consecutive continuos rolls, things really get ugly toward the end, and I am end up loosing tonnes of altitude. I have tried using a little up elevator when inverted, and a touch of down when upright, but the plane tends to begins to barrel roll. Again, not too pretty ....

This is the last manoever that I need help with to get me through my B certification, so any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all in advance

Bo
Old 07-12-2003, 01:02 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried using a little up elevator when inverted, and a touch of down when upright,
I'm assuming that you typed this backwards. You need "down" elevator when inverted.

I would suggest trying to roll a bit slower. It will give you more time to make the altitude corrections. You may need to input just a bit of rudder as well.

Sequence: Right aileron, touch left rudder - ease off left, slight down elevator - ease off elevator, touch right rudder - ease off rudder, ease off aileron. Rinse and repeat.
Dennis-
Old 07-12-2003, 06:21 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a Dennis suggested try just try just touching a bit of down just before it reaches the inverted position and relax the down just past the inverted position. Its at this position that the temptation to start pulling a lot of up gets overpowering and things can get out of hand. Just relax and don,t rush things. Timing is everything.

John
Old 07-12-2003, 10:25 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Aerobatics

While basic aerobatics (loops and simple rolls) are part of learning how to fly the 3D/IMAC/Pattern forum would be a better place for answers to these questions. Many upper level pilots frequent that forum. Much information is already there.

EXCAP232
Old 07-13-2003, 10:16 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I wrote some articles on aerobatics last year that were published. Attached is the one I wrote on rolls. It is in PDF format after you unzip the file. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
93458_6089.zip (29.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-13-2003, 01:50 PM
bgorham

Default Great input ....

Thanks John. I have scanned through the article, and it does help allot! Curious though ... chapter 3 ... of how many? and what's the odds of getting my grubby paws on those articles? If you need a good beta tester (well probably alpha anyway) of your articles ... use me, as I need the help.

I practiced y axial rolls today, and did better at times, and much worse at others. I did start experiencing the heading changes like you described, so I am sure it is because I was holding elevator in too long. I also will take a look at changing my aileron rates high 1 roll in a second, low 1 roll in 4 seconds.

I had an old gent come by this morning and talk with me, and he was coaching me some on the rolls (and other things). I fly at an old abandoned WW2 airfield in Nottinghamshire that used to host lancasters, and also is where the american gliders were assembled and staged for D-Day. He turned out to be a Lancaster pilot, and we ended up talking for hours. I am an American expat over here, and when he heard my accent, and saw my interest in the area and airplanes, he really opened up.

Sorry ... I digress .... thanks for the assistance, and I would love to get my eyes on some more of your articles!

Bo
Old 07-14-2003, 07:07 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

bgorham: There are 8 chapters to date. I plan on writing more this winter.

Originally, they were to build an interest in pattern in our local club and surrounding clubs, but 90% of the info will apply to any pilot that just wants to have fun flying aerobatics.

I have a lot of requests locally and at clubs I visit on pointers, tips, setup info, etc on aerobatic flying. I'd like to be able to give these pilots a web address to download the info, so I really need to clean the articles up a bit to relate better to a broader audience and I need to removed the dated material. I've been meaning to do this for about a year now, so I started today. I should be done in a few days. I'll post again when they are ready.

That roll rate thing (1sec/4sec) is a good starting place for pattern setups. However, there is no reason why you can't use it for any plane as it should help your flights look smoother.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2003, 08:01 PM
bgorham

Thanks John, and I look forward to seeing your articles. As for pattern flying, maybe in the future, but I really like the idea of learning how do the moves correctly from the start, instead of learning and enforcing bad habits. So thanks in advance for the assistance!

Bo