Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flaps-possible with 1 servo on each wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flaps-possible with 1 servo on each wing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps-possible with 1 servo on each wing?

I have a question that I was unsure where to post it on the forums, so I chose this one. With modern computerized radios, is it possible to have one servo on each wing operating both ailerons and flaps when called upon ? I thought it would be necessary to have dual servos on each wing, one to operate the ailerons and another to operate flaps, but now I don't know if there is another alternative. Could the ailerons serve as flaps on the landing approach? In other words, can one aileron servo on each wing also function as a flap servo (ailerons droop down) when landing and still continue to function as an aileron servo so wings could be maintained level as plane lands?

Thanks,
Don
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flaps-possible with 1 servo on each wing?

Yes, it is possible. They are called flaperons. Many don't like to use them because they reduce aileron effectiveness when you need it most, during the landing phase.

CGr.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, they can. This function is called "flaperons" and most computers radios will allow you to set this function up. But..... I highly recommend against using flaperons. More often than not they cause more problems than they solve. Once you drop the ailerons down in to a "flap" like position the wing will become more prone to tip stall (the wingtip stalls and quits generating lift, and drops). A tip stall on approach is a sure way to be bringing home a plane in a garbage sack.

If you want flaps on a plane then I recommend to build dedicated flaps into the plane and set them on a seperate flap channel on the radio. There is nothing wrong with having more than one servo in a wing. Heck, my Top Flite B-25 has 3 servos in each wing (1 aileron and 2 flap servos) side, for a grand total of 6 servos in the wing alone!!

Ken
Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM
DenverJayhawk

The Hobbico Nexstar provides directions for true flaps with one servo. That is you have four separate control surfaces (2 inboard as flaps, 2 outboard as ailerons) just like fullscale aircraft. So you need a total of three servos for the wing. 2 for ailerons, 1 for flaps.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM
R/C Skyjumper

WOW -you guys are fast as I was typing you all posted the info already - Yup those guys are right altho I have it on 2 of my planes but mostley for flight line looks and the wow facter
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks for all the great info guys. After reading your posts, I think dedicated servo(s) for flaps is the smart way to go.

Don
Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Depends on what kind of plane, what you're trying to accomplish, and whether they are full span ailerons, tip ailerons, or two separate surfaces.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Steve Steinbring

Flaps can be setup using one servo using a torque rod setup coupled together allowing for each wing flap to operate in unison with each other. This is provided the ailerons are setup with separate servos in each wing.