Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Many Planes Do You Take To The Field?

What if a person has only one plane, like me who just got his plane and still waiting on the maiden flight, as today's weather messed up, tomorrow stil not sure, whether is it gonna be windy or rainy. Bad econony ain't letting me buy more than one, I Thank GOD for getting one plane after 26 months

Taking one plane to the flying field is bad omen?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Hey,
I often take only one plane to the the field (and never more than 2).
Yesterday, I took one plane and I drove 35mn to go to the field. Then I realized that a part on my engine was bent, and I have to replace it. So I drove back home.....
Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
tony0707

hi one plane -that i will fly all day longnot many set backs ever after 20 years at the hobbyi like to keep flying the same plane a lot as they all fly a bit differentlike to get to know my planes abilities ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM
armody

I'm thinking to buy my second plane either an escapade or 40 size trainer, engine choice would be JBA as RCKen did the review on it, they look pretty good, sturdy and ample power on it. Shipping is free that's good stuff.

I don't think and don't believe taking one plane to field is something bad.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I reduced my fleet to about 12 or 13 planes and have them stacked neatly inmy garage so when I go flying I grab usually 2 planes,if its a bipe that needs to be assembled at the field thenjust 0ne.I hate lugging a bunch of planes and dont have the funds to buy a 3000 dollar cargo trailer..if I fly my electric 3D hobby planes which I totally enjoy then its easy to pack 3 of them in the explorer.lugging a bunch of planes just seems like too much work .dont get me wrong its great to see allthe different planes at the field but I just dont have the ambition to tackle all the stuff myself.besides if you are helping others you get to fly other planes lol.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
armody

As long as I have one plane, I would be complacent with it Hopefully when I get more money and more consistent job, I'd buy more.

Happy flying!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
HatersLoveMe
Banned

Taking more than one is pigheaded and usually takes up too much space at the field I fly at. Bring one plane and make sure your junk is working properly before you bring it to the field!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:33 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Years ago when I first got back into flying, I would take all of them, usually 4 or 5. Now not so much. If its clear and calm, we get the big 3d gassers out and we will have a .40 size plane too, reactor-twist-tango. Just depends what the plan is. Fly-ins most of em go!! Oh, cant leave this out, if we decide to fly 1 hr before dark, then just one!!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 PM
rcrick10

ok it's got to be at lease 3 (#1)30cc extra 300s for 3ding(#2) parkzone micro sukhoi just because it gets more attention than the 30cc, and a parkzone corsair because i like to watch cars pass by when i'm flying notice! i did not say just incase i crash one. crashing is not part of my daily plan!! it's bad luck
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: armody

What if a person has only one plane, like me who just got his plane and still waiting on the maiden flight, as today's weather messed up, tomorrow stil not sure, whether is it gonna be windy or rainy. Bad econony ain't letting me buy more than one, I Thank GOD for getting one plane after 26 months

Congrats, it can be an expensive hobby, I just pm'd a guy I sold an engine to that wanted it more than me,,,,you will find deals on planes and things out there at the field....but YOU need a check list, is everything charged, do I have wrenches, plugs, fuel, rags,ignitor, props, ,,,you will find at swap meet for radio control stuff " one mans trash is another mans treasure",,I "restarted" in the hobby around 00 with a GWS stick and radio and half a dozen radio paks that took all week to charge , had to walk to the school yard to fly them on saturday mornng before the soccer players came and took over the fields....now I have 5 radios and 12 planes and twice that many engines...and miss my tower trainer most of all....Rog
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM
TruBlu02

Never more than two for me. I normally only have a few hours to fly at a time so I will normally bring my Reactor and either my EF Yak or my Tower Trainer. I bring the trainer for less than ideal days. It may not be very aerobatic but it sure makes for some fun on a windy day! Plus it is cheap. I found that when I bring more than two it ends up being more work than it is worth. I come out to fly, not set up and preflight a bunch of planes.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
opjose

It is for me.

The forces of nature/universe conspire to assure that if I bring out only one or two planes, I will not be flying for long!

Something will "get" me.

Setup and preflight takes more no more than 10 minutes, dunno why that would be a problem for some.

I loose most of my flying time, helping novices, not that this is unenjoyable.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
wruggiero

Hi,
I often take 3 planes to the field .
One small and eletric, one on size 40 and a biggger, gasoline model.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 PM
FilPilot

five .... Gas and electric to help balance the day.....makes for a fun day.....
Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 AM
tfarmer96

2 is a good number. But if i have my way.... as many as i can plus 10%
Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 AM
hairy46

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Congrats, it can be an expensive hobby, I just pm'd a guy I sold an engine to that wanted it more than me,,,,you will find deals on planes and things out there at the field....but YOU need a check list, is everything charged, do I have wrenches, plugs, fuel, rags,ignitor, props, ,,,you will find at swap meet for radio control stuff '' one mans trash is another mans treasure'',,I ''restarted'' in the hobby around 00 with a GWS stick and radio and half a dozen radio paks that took all week to charge , had to walk to the school yard to fly them on saturday mornng before the soccer players came and took over the fields....now I have 5 radios and 12 planes and twice that many engines...and miss my tower trainer most of all....Rog
Do not blame you for missing the tower trainer, I take that one along each trip in case some one new want to try it on the body box, very good flying plane! I take my easysport {kit built} and the Ecapade or something like it . But always three if I plan to be out all day! One if I don't!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No such thing. I take whatever I can fit into the vehicle taking me. I lost my license and I actually follow the law and don't drive, so any way I can get there makes me happy. I built a trailer on a boat trailer frame that was given to me, I think I got about $700.00. into it including plates. So if I can get somebody to tow it I take everything. But if I can't, I beg for rides. I have had my dad who lives next door take me in his truck. No topper- So I put whatever heavy equipment I have in the back and squeeze a plane into the cab with me. My planes have been in just about everybody I knows vehicle. I'm 43 and it is very humbling to say the least. But I can live without driving but not flying. I am just glad I know such great people and I can get to the field.

Now a bad omen is when you get to the field and realize your batteries are dead. When you go for the charger you realize it is 7 miles away....and so is your ride. Been there.-BW
Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Usually 3...a gasser and 2 .40-1.20 glows never less than 2.... If i take one its because i know its reliable, and its usually a quickie flying session
Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan and I used to be able to get 2 or 3 in comfortably with all the support gear, drink cooler, pop up cabana and a folding seat. I have progressively gone up in size and with 40% scale aerobatic stuff and 1/5 scale warbirds, I have less and less room for the extra stuff. I am considering going back to smaller planes, to me they're less hassle and I didn't have to fiddle with them as much as I do with the bigger planes.

Just My Two Cents!

Loopman
Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

After reading through all the posts I think the average must be three planes, two is the normal minimum and five or more when you have the room to haul them (of course with all the necessary supplies - one must NEVER forget the cooler and munchies, too) [8D]
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
GaryHarris

I'm taking two today. I have a feeling the little one will be hard to fly. [&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68956.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1388440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60886.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1388441  
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
JoeMamma

I usually bring three. One gas/glow and a couple of electrics. Plenty of room in a Chrysler mini-van with the fold-down-flat rear seats.....a nice feature !

For our club meets, I've stuffed in (carefully) as many as 10 in my van.

It sure is getting easy to simply forget my 1/4 scale glow powered stuff and just grab a couple of fully assembled electrics. Guess I'm getting a little lazy.

Joe M.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
tfarmer96

The problem you face not today but some day. You start with a 40 trainer then you move to 60 then to 50cc then 80 to 250cc. All of the sudden if you could find a place to store it you would fly a full scale if you could get an RX in it. I love this hobby!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'll go to the field with anywhere from 1 to 6...all depends on what's in the trailer, what I need room for, what needs work, etc etc.

As a general rule, I like to have one "really nice" airplane (big gasser, for example) and one "toss in the air and bang around" airplane (say, a park flyer or stick or something like that).  I'll also load up the giant tele if the kids are going, or if I have a student to work with.

Other airplanes (maybe a smaller gasser, warbird, something) might go along as well if it's going to be a long day.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Steve Landron

I take one fixed wing, (my Cubby) and two helos, (Rappy, and MX400 electric). Back in the day I could take upwards of five planes, basically what ever I could stuff in the car, truck or jeep, and would usually bring my; GS P51, SIG Cobra, CUBBY, T-34, 1/4 scale Biplane. Since I'm commuting from Modesto to San Diego, I have been taking my wifes Toyota Corrola, I only take the three. I used to take allot of different planes so I could practice my proficiency on mutiple platforms, plus it gets boring with the same plane all of the time.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.