Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Avistar or Escapade for 2nd plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Avistar or Escapade for 2nd plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Mugen Mbx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar or Escapade for 2nd plane?

I have flown a Duraplane trainer 40(flying brick) and have my eye on the Avistar or Escapade. What plane is going to be easier to fly? I have spent some time on G5 Simulator and can fly and land about everything but have never flown any other planes than the Duraplane. I hear the Duraplane is heavy and harder to fly than most trainers because it is fast but I can fly it pretty good,so what do you guys think? Anyone flown both these and can compare them? I'm getting bored with the Durabrick and would like something that actually looks like an airplane. I am self taught with several crashes in the beginning,and the Duraplane is getting pretty ragged looking but I have been flying/landing without issues for a while,and can do basic areobatics ( loops, rolls,inverted flight,inverted loops etc.) What should I buy next?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM
timcat26

Default RE: Avistar or Escapade for 2nd plane?

ORIGINAL: Mugen Mbx5

I have flown a Duraplane trainer 40(flying brick) and have my eye on the Avistar or Escapade. What plane is going to be easier to fly? I have spent some time on G5 Simulator and can fly and land about everything but have never flown any other planes than the Duraplane. I hear the Duraplane is heavy and harder to fly than most trainers because it is fast but I can fly it pretty good,so what do you guys think? Anyone flown both these and can compare them? I'm getting bored with the Durabrick and would like something that actually looks like an airplane. I am self taught with several crashes in the beginning,and the Duraplane is getting pretty ragged looking but I have been flying/landing without issues for a while,and can do basic areobatics ( loops, rolls,inverted flight,inverted loops etc.) What should I buy next?
An Avistar, as I see and fly them as a Club Instructor, are simply more Sport maneuver capable trainers.

I'd go with an Escapade type plane (low wing sport trainer) to move on up from the Duraplane, assuming it now is kind of boring for you and that you've mastered flights and maneuvers with it. As it's a Stick type plane you should have very few problems going to a low wing Sport model. My $.02.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 AM
nrad2000

My first plane is the Seagull Decathlon 40 size. Never flew it. was told not too for my first plane. I ended up getting an Escapade (again I was told not to) and successfully flew it with a buddy insturctor.

You tube: NJM Escapade

I just finished building an Avistar - but did some modifications and turned it into a Tail Dragger. I figure every plane I buy will most likely be a tale dragger. So, why not practice on a Tail Dragger Trainer.

I basically bought the Avistar to help teach me approaches at a slightly slower speed than the Escapade. For me, that first time, it was hard to judge distance and the speed it was coming in at. Also, aligning up with the runway I found to be a slight challenge.

But wow, the escapade was FUN to fly. You just point it in the direction you want it to go and it goes.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

I can only comment on the Escapade as I got one for Christmas and love it. It flys great and is easy to control [use low rates]. Mine is a little squirley on take off, you really need to use the rudder until airborne, go easy, it is eay to over correct. Lands a little fast but not real problem.

Gary
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM
orangehat44

I absolutly love my escapade, was my second plane and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Dont know of a better plane to have for a low wing trainer. It can fly plenty slow, but with a 46ax it can fly plenty fast. It is a great plane capable of alot.

It will fly as docile as you high wing trainer for you to get comfortable with it, and as you advance through maneuvers and expand your flying skills this little bad boy seems capable of most sport manuevers. Enough to keep you busy for quite some time!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

If I where you i would go with the escapade, the avistar is good for a first plane but to easy as second plane, the escapade is better for  basic aerobatics due to low wing design. and good experience for your future planes, im not saying that the avistar isnt good, it is a great plane, just not much of a jump up. 
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for a Big Stick 40.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the money I would buy 3 Escapades just so Iwould always have one. Mine is powered by just an Irvine 36 and it is totally sweet!!! I fly off petromat and I can take off at half throttle. There is a build thread in the ARF forum that explains a lot. There are some points for improvement but are easy to accomplish.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 PM
zach42o1

I just recently bought and escapade after a few months flying a nexstar and i would have to say it is a great little plane the only issue i really ran into was the tail wheel.Its now the primary plane that i take out just because well a trainer is a trainer and one you get the basics down really not to much else you can do with it thats my own opinion though.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

get something else, the escapade isn't all that
there are some odd characteristics that do not lend well as a 2nd plane
on this forum, it has been a popular choice, however, there are more planes out there that will land, takeoff and taxi better, all of which, imho, are very important aspects of flying for a beginner. Important, because that's where beginners will do most damage to the plane. Mistakes lead to more crashes down low than up high.
ymmv
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Get an Escapade, assemble it per the instructions and Tech Notes and you will have a fine second plane. Refrain from trying to modify it into a stronger, read too heavy, sport plane. It is fine as designed. It will land with ease, it has no odd characteristics, it is capable of flying normal aerobatics and is quite in-expensive. Get one and see.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesnt need heavy mods, it should however get the tail glued on instead of just bolted. And gluing the wings together is a good idea. Also where the pins are at the front of the hatch, I put two springs there to help hold the hatch on.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 AM
ameyam

Buy a Big Stik 40/60, EasySport 40, Tiger 40/60 or something similar. These are all sport planes and will be far easier to fly than the Escapade. The Avistar is more like a trainer and the Escapade more pattern. If you were very comfortable with your 1st airplane then you will be just at the limits of your flying abilities with the above mentioned and will need some buddy-box time, but you will quickly get bored with the Avistar and the Escapade will be a handful. If you are looking to get into some 3D/funfly, you can even look at the UCD 40/60. They have large control surfaces, so will fly like trainers with the thrown turned down. And their low speed handling is just excellent, so you wont have a bad time landing them

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTM8&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR1&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMM9&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUL8&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMM8&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMZ6&P=0

For those who are into Escapades, there is a 60 size on the way from Tower. Have a look
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMXN&P=0

Ameyam
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 AM
TimBle

I have no experience of the Avistar but I do have expereince of the 40 size stik and the Escapade.

I would vote for the Escapade. Its a fantastic little flier that will take you from recently solo's to just about Instructor level. Mine did that for me.

Stik's are nice to fly but I don;t consider them to be anything special, especially when there are planes that look 100x better and fly  better or just as well.

To consider:

Escapade
Avistar.
Black HOrse Renegade (PVC printed covering)
BLack Horse Blade (ORacover) - bloody nice plane! has full symmetrical wing and out flies the Escapade ime but it can be tricky if you just coming off a trainer.
H-9 Pulse Xt
SIg 4Star - also awesome flier
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 AM
CGRetired

Include the Goldberg Tiger II or Tiger 60 in the list. Excellent second planes.

CGr.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
TimBle

PS People sufering tracking problems with the Escapade should check their engine thrust line and not blame the tail wheel.

This is a small plane and is massively over powered with a well run in OS 46AX or 55AX. It will run just fine with the .40 bearing engine on its nose. For such an engine the built in thrust line is fine.
If you are running a .46 engine like the 46Ax then you have to add in 1.5mm washer behind the engine mount on the left side.
Down thrust is ok but 0.5mm additional downthrust is good. This can be 1 x 3mm washer under the rear mounting holes of the engine mounting plates.
With the thrust line correction, the escapade will track straight down the runway but does require a  progressive throttle application. For a 2nd plane I would strongly suggest fitting a .40 bearing engine and not a 0.46  bearing engine. Irvines .39 is ideal. A bushed 46 or 53 is also ideal but not sure where you would get any of those from.

IMO, it is a much better investment than a Tiger. It will takes its pilot much further (if it survives)

I have tried a .46 LA and it flies it ok, an Irvine .39 and it flies it well, A GMS .47 and an OS46AX. the 46's are brutes in this airframe
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I would go for a Big Stick 40.
Ditto... everyone needs a Stik!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

If you're set on one of those two get the escapade. Otherwise you will be sorry later.Nothing against an avistar, just you will be bored easy with another trainer. Lets be honest here the only reason people buy trainers is because when they're learning its the right thing to learn on.If you like the look of the escapade go for it.If you keep the controls per manual and dont try overpowering the model and adding five pounds of reinforcment weight because the engine is too much for the five pound model you will be fine.Almost as easy as a trainer,just more fun and easier on the eyes.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
1320Fastback

My Avistar was bought because I needed something to relax with before breaking out the faster stuff. (That and I got it off craigslist RTF for $70.00)

Having learned to fly well before the purchase and not owning a Escapade I cant comment on learning with it but I think it is fun to fly.

Mine has a 46FX swinging a 12x5 APC (the 40LA make a good door stop), dual aileron servos set up for very mild flaperons for landing (not needed) and max deflection spoilerons for high altitude "elevators". Also has 6-12V l.e.d.'s for landing lights/ evening flights.

It can fly very slowly and also do most tricks in the book as well as pretty impressive inverted high speed passes down the runway and am working on hovering with it!

I say get EITHER one as you will probably get another plane in a little while anyway