Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What kind of vehicles are good for transportation?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What kind of vehicles are good for transportation?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of vehicles are good for transportation?

I have a '99 Tahoe right now and of course it sucks gas. I'm looking at getting another vehicle soon and i was wondering what vehicles you guys had to transport your planes. The largest plane i have now is a tiger 60 with a wing a little over 6'. I was looking at getting a Dodge Magnum but i've heard that they still get less than 20mpg on average. I am looking for a vehicle around $15,000 from '05ish but all that is negotiable. Do you guys have any suggestions from your own experiences? Thanks for all your help and information.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
p100d

Default RE: What kind of vehicles are good for transportation?

I have a minivan that I put 6 planes in with the seats out. 2 60 sizes, 1 with and 1 without removable wing, 3 40 sized, , 2 with and 1 without removable wing, and 1 25 sized non removable wing. All on the floor and the field box. Works great for me and you mentioned fuel mileage. I get 23 MPG. Maybe not the most stylish vehicles. But they do a lot of things well for what they are. Also aren't expensive and usually very reliable.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My F150 does well with a bed cover. I have the V6 standard and get around 20mpg.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
oldtyme

I have a 1996 and 1999 Chevy Astrovan........one for me one for my wife. I can haul all sorts of stuff to the field and if I want I can take the rear seat and the third (rearmost) seat out and it is very spacious. I haul 4 planes of different sizes without problems. Both of my vans are all-wheel drive and on the open road I get around 20mg and in town around 15-16mpg......they both have a 4.3l V-6 and they even town my pontoon boat in the summer. I'm never going to get rid of either.........of course I'm 67..........but I just love these vehicles.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: AnAlternateEgo

I am looking for a vehicle around $15,000 from '05ish but all that is negotiable.
Just searched carmax. Looks like you can find 06-07 Kia Sportages for around $13k all day long, in the 50k mileage range.

Spend the other $2000 on a 4x8 or 5x10 trailer, and you're all good.

My own '09 Sportage gets about 24mpg average, about 27-28 on the highway, and about 19 pulling a 5x10 trailer loaded with 4-5 airplanes and field gear. You can, I'm told, expect similar performance from the 06-ish models.

Clearly, there are other options, but figured I'd quote what I know. In general, regardless of brand/model, I'd suspect you can find several light SUVs in that 12-14k range, spend the rest on a trailer, and be pretty happy all the way around.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have an 07 Prius (no throttle issues) that gets 45 MPG.  The seats lay down and there is so much more room than anyone thinks.  I can haul either my PT60 or Tiger 60, but not both.  I have to use the Silverado for that. 
Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 John Deere that I use to haul a hay trailer, can probably stick 20 or so planes on it, and maybe 8 people at once...Runs about 12hrs on 5 gal>~ of diesel, just don't forget the cetane booster

If I am just going myself, I use my old Blazer, I can get 3 in there, unless I have my P-47, then just 2.[8D]
Old 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
delman

I have a 2007 ford focus wagon which gets 27-30 mpg. Rear seat folds over for more space. The wagon was last made in 2007.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
dignlivn

I bought a used 07 Chevy van last summer to solve
my problem.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43980.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1393171  
Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vans of any type, I have a nice old mini van but wish I had a cargo van.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a volvo wagon for my stik and the miata for my 1/2A stuff....Rog
want to make a small trialer for behind my scooter (250 Honda) but there are hitch problems
Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Alex7403

I'm driving an infiniti i35 sedan with the back seat folded its not comfortable but I managed to squeeze Ultra Sport 60 and 4*60 with its 71" wing plus field equipment and stuff.
I got this car before I thought I'll fly RC now I'm looking at Hyudai elantra touring, its a wagon and with that price you mentioned I think you can get a new one.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: AnAlternateEgo

I have a '99 Tahoe right now and of course it sucks gas. I'm looking at getting another vehicle soon and i was wondering what vehicles you guys had to transport your planes. The largest plane i have now is a tiger 60 with a wing a little over 6'. I was looking at getting a Dodge Magnum but i've heard that they still get less than 20mpg on average. I am looking for a vehicle around $15,000 from '05ish but all that is negotiable. Do you guys have any suggestions from your own experiences? Thanks for all your help and information.
Check out the Dodge or Chrysler mini vans. Stow & Go seats make it easy to switch back and forth from hauling the grandkids to hauling airplanes. The seat latches make great tiedowns when the seats are stowed; and the unused shoulder straps on the side are nice wing holders. Mileage is around 24 city and 29 highway. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Revy

Ford Escapes can haul 2 60 size with wings removed, plus a couple more smaller electrics on top of the privacy cover. We got two flight boxes and all our gear in my '09 today just like that. I can also fit my 29% Sbach or 25% Cap, rudder in between front seats and my PA Extra 260 with a little to spare. Then there's the roof, lol!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM
mclina

You'd be surprised how much you can fit into a small SUV. I can get my fixed-wing Mojo 60 into mine, with room for two more planes underneath it. I have lined up at least three planes across the shower bar with another assembled plane below it. This is an '02 CR-V. I'm sure you could get one used well within your price range. Mine has 130K on it and is still running great.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80337.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1393319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78038.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1393320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57433.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1393321  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I drive an 07 Dodge Caliber. Can get 4 60 to 90 size planes in it if I fold down all the seats. It will also handle my 50cc yak. Gets 25mpg.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.
the unused shoulder straps on the side are nice wing holders.
I never thought about doing this!!

I drive an 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with the stow and go seats, and I love it. I am able to fit all of my planes in it, plus all my flight gear, my French Mastiff, 2 kids, and my wife. It is true that they are not all that "cool", but I am way beyond trying to impress anyone. After all the stuff is out, it takes 10 seconds max to get the seats folded back up. It is the perfect vehicle in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

i drive a 2007 Chevy Silverado and i made a pvc plane rack to tie down in the bed and then i tie the planes down to it i can fit 3 to 4 planes in it i love it
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
SushiSeeker

A lot of guys down here are using box trailers which they tow out to the field. They fit just about every plane they own in there plus a small work table inside. The cool thing about this approach is you can tow it behind many vehicles and you never forget anything. It's all inside. I've seen them new in the $2k price range and used for about half that.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

My '03 Pontiac Vibe gets 32mpg on the highway and can carry 2x 2m pattern planes or one 30% Extra. My .40 size Somethin Extra fits fully assembled.

This car has been discontinued after the '10 model year, but it's Toyota clone, the Matrix, is still available. And yes, I would buy another Toyota. All that crap could, and at some time in the future probably will, happen to one of the others. Murphy's law is directly proportional the the number of moving, or electronic, parts.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Mikecam

I have an older Dodge extended mini van that is used just for planes. With all the seats out you can fit a fair bit inside. With the seats out you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I back up to the pits and leave the gate open and then set up my tent just beside the gate, adds to the shade. I also hang 3/4" dowels covered in foam from the coat hangers, one in front and one in back. They hang about 8 " from the ceiling and I can fit 4 wings up there. Use foam rubber and they don't move even in emergency braking, just sway back and forth a little. Still use rear view mirror too. I also made a table that sits on the rear arm rests, I can put planes on top and fit my tent, cooler, flight box, chairs, and what ever else under the table, or another plane. I've put 5 planes in my van and with zero damage. 88" yak included. I thought about a trailer but after one of the guys at the field damaged 3 planes in one (rough road) I decided to stay with the van. You can buy them really cheap, get tinted windows and don't put any decals on it and no one would think you have thousands of dollars of planes inside. Insurance is cheap too. It rides very nice even on very rough roads which helps with the hanger rash. I enjoy hooking up the tent trailer and heading for the weekend fun fly's. I have a roof carrier too but have not needed the space yet.
Starting to get excited about flying, up here in Manitoba we still have a foot of snow but the days are getting longer and warmer, always a good sign.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: bonebreak

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.
the unused shoulder straps on the side are nice wing holders.
I never thought about doing this!!

I drive an 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with the stow and go seats, and I love it. I am able to fit all of my planes in it, plus all my flight gear, my French Mastiff, 2 kids, and my wife. It is true that they are not all that ''cool'', but I am way beyond trying to impress anyone. After all the stuff is out, it takes 10 seconds max to get the seats folded back up. It is the perfect vehicle in my opinion.
I have to agree on the sheer utility of my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. As you said, it's the perfect vehicle for my life. Cool? Heck; cool cars are a waste unless you happen to really like them. *Being* cool is a lot easier. And that includes not worrying about what other people think; if it's right for you. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend $12,000 on the car and $3,000 on a trailer. If you got a place to park it you won't regret it.-BW
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Villa

I use a Ford Focus Hatchback. With the back seats down my 46 size planes fit fully assembled.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; My ride is a 99 BMW station wagon. Holds an amazing amount of planes. 30 to 35 mpg (imp), what more could you ask? It will hold my Bravo, but the wing uses all if the interior.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.