Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

Old 04-29-2016, 04:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Victory Pete
Success
[HR][/HR] I managed to get them to inflate. I pumped them both up a bit, 6.5", then released the air until they were 6.25". I will keep an eye on them. I used the wooden vise in my Sjobergs woodworkers bench to set the exact diameter and then just set them in to determine the exact size releasing just the right amount of air until they just fit in the vise. You need a separate detached filler valve to do this accurately. These tires have a nice cushion to them, they are much better than the stock 4" tires that came with my Miss Morava tow plane. I can see how it is important to keep an eye on the diameter of these tires as temperature and barometric pressure changes can possibly allow them to over inflate. A separate fill valve should be with you at the field to let out some pressure if they start to over expand from a hot day. I am quite pleased with these tires.

You are assuming that these tires will hold air. I've seen several sets that leaked.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 AM
Victory Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
You are assuming that these tires will hold air. I've seen several sets that leaked.
I am witnessing them holding air.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Du Bro's video about using a sports hand pump, fuel line, and the brass adapter thingy to pump up the tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBJggnDc9N4#t=33
Old 07-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Victory Pete

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
Du Bro's video about using a sports hand pump, fuel line, and the brass adapter thingy to pump up the tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBJggnDc9N4#t=33
I don't understand the part about pinching off the hose to stop leaking, there should be a check valve in all pumps.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 AM
thintz

I can;t get my air valve to open. It screws in fine then stops and I can still squeeze the tire and no air comes out like they show in a DuBro video on pumping them up. I suspect I am doing something wrong but can;t figure out what it would be. I can;t get the inflater piece to screw into the tire valve any further without grabbing it with a pliers or something and doubt that is a good idea.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Victory Pete

Originally Posted by thintz
I can;t get my air valve to open. It screws in fine then stops and I can still squeeze the tire and no air comes out like they show in a DuBro video on pumping them up. I suspect I am doing something wrong but can;t figure out what it would be. I can;t get the inflater piece to screw into the tire valve any further without grabbing it with a pliers or something and doubt that is a good idea.
I had some with defective filler valves. There is supposed to be a small slit at the end of the filler valve that allows the air to get by. Look closely and see if you have this slit.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 AM
thintz

I had some with defective filler valves. There is supposed to be a small slit at the end of the filler valve that allows the air to get by. Look closely and see if you have this slit.
Yes, thought of that, the groove is there in the tip.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:36 AM
Victory Pete

Is this just one tire doing this? I also had some valves with bad threads. It seems quality control at Dubro isn't that great.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:20 AM
thintz

Is this just one tire doing this? I also had some valves with bad threads. It seems quality control at Dubro isn't that great.
Both tires seem to be reacting the same way, not doing nothing!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 AM
Victory Pete

Does the filler valve screw in all the way without binding? Do you have the filler valve connected to a pump?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 AM
thintz

Does the filler valve screw in all the way without binding? Do you have the filler valve connected to a pump?
The filler valve screws in easily until it stops with he flange a little off of the tire valve. From there it does not feel lke it can turn anymore without a pliers or something. I do not have it attached to a pump yet. I saw a DuBro video where he screwed the filler fitting into the tire an then squeezed the tire to see that air came out. I have been trying to do that with no luck.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Victory Pete

Sounds like your threads are jammed. Does it look like it can go in farther?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 AM
thintz

Sounds like your threads are jammed. Does it look like it can go in farther?
On both wheels its the same thing, screws in easily till there is maybe 1/8" gap between the flange on the inflator fitting and the air valve in the tire. The threads on the inflator fitting look good under magnafication, not rolled or crossed or anything.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Victory Pete

They must be defective, call Dubro and ask for Jim. http://shop.dubro.com/c/aircraft_pus...on=recommended
Old 08-25-2016, 06:01 AM
Victory Pete

I just checked my stash that Jim sent me. Some that did exactly as you have described, I just forced it on by hand and it cleaned the threads up.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 AM
thintz

I just checked my stash that Jim sent me. Some that did exactly as you have described, I just forced it on by hand and it cleaned the threads up.
I had already sent an email to DuBro and just heard back. They apparently have heard of this before and say it is the inflator. They are sending me a new one and all is right int he world.
I told them this is part of why I have been buying DuBro stuff for over 40 years!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Victory Pete

Hopefully they send you some valves also, I had problems with both valves and inflators.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are the major issue with these wheels;the valves, valve socket/body, and the inflator. After awhile you just give up and move on to a different wheel.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Victory Pete

Such as...................
Old 08-25-2016, 03:45 PM
flyinwalenda

.................................................. ...........http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...l#post11926073
Old 08-27-2016, 10:23 AM
thintz

Got the new inflator fitting from DuBro and the wheels work perfectly with no force, grunting or groaning. Of curse I also got email that assures me all of the DuBro wheels are like that and none of them work. That must mean that the ones I got are the defective ones because they work fine. - or something like that.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:27 PM
flyinwalenda

Oh they all work for awhile and if you have ones that still work after a year or so then good for you. Seems like they all need varying levels of attention & maintenance over time.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:59 PM
thintz

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Oh they all work for awhile and if you have ones that still work after a year or so then good for you. Seems like they all need varying levels of attention & maintenance over time.
I have doctors telling me that in a couple years or so I won't be working anymore. I can deal with a low tire if it comes to that. I bought a pump, I fear no low tires!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:25 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by thintz
I have doctors telling me that in a couple years or so I won't be working anymore. I can deal with a low tire if it comes to that. I bought a pump, I fear no low tires!
Well hopefully you won't succumb to the pains of having to deal with these tires!