Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

trojan T-28D for beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

trojan T-28D for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM
vygec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trojan T-28D for beginner

I started flying heli's recently, and would also like to try planes I have a
dx6i, so any BNF option will go down well i think.
Everywhere i read, suggests the Super Cub LP. i definitely prefer the T-28D Trojan, ive spent some time on phoenix simulator playin with planes and can land and got a good idea with orientation as well.
Will the T-28D be ok for me, as really not keen on paying for a Super Cub only to find it redundant it very shortly.
Or is the trojan REALLY just too hard to learn on?
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: trojan T-28D for beginner

I havent flown either plane, but would suggest something of that ilk of the cub, high wing will be more forgiving. And being high wing doesnt make it boring by any means. I started flying glow, and have a Alpha 40 and escapade. Alpha was my trainer, but after a crash/rebuild I moved the CG back alittle and made it a flat wing (removed dehedrial) and it flys almost as sporty as the escapade. I love my trainer, I can fling it around the sky and really have tons of fun with it. And not worry as much about it. Super cub can be modded a ton I hear. I have 6 planes and am contemplating pickup a a LP super cub with the floats so I can fly off the water at my friends property we go camping at. I would proabably definatly mod some ailerons and running lights if I picked one up. Ive heard of plenty of experienced pilots picking up super cubs or other " beginner" aircraft. When they want a more relaxing flight or to take a break from their other stuff. Or like i said they get it to mod it and creat their own custom plane.

So I'm saying I dont think the super cub will seem as redundant as you think. You might progress quickly through the skills needed to fly a stock super cub, and then move on to a t-28 or whatever, but I bet you'll still come back to flying the cub or modifiy it to progress with your skills. fly it for a couple weeks as a 3 channel. and you can easily pop a couple cheap servos into it to add ailerons or flaps. or pick up the floats and find some water. 25 $ for floats is dirt cheap.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

The Trojan is an excellent flying plane. It is a great plane to learn on.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
timcat26

I taught myself to fly on a PZTrojan T-28....both of them.

Lots of CA and running to the LHS for parts the first month I had the first one out. Their nose wheel is very weak and only held in place by the thin plastic firewall. It's very easy to punch the nose gear right back through the firewall by nosing it in and make ground sterring impossible until repaired. I had to turn my first one into a Taildragger for this reason.

I'd go with a high wing trainer with 4 channels of control, like an E-Flite Apprentice, if I were going to do it all over again. However, if you're determined to go with a T-28, I'd suggest stocking up on Cowls, props, motor mounts, nose wheel steerring arms, Medium CA and packing tape. They're a blast to fly once you get your thumbs in sync with the brain but I wouldn't call this a beginner plane.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
KW_Counter

I have the T-28 and do not recommend it as a trainer.
Go with a high wing trainer with a flat bottom or semi-symmetrical wing.
For a fuel plane I recommend the World Models Mach I.
I can't recommend an electric but there are some good ones available.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

The best electric trainer I have seen is the Alpha 450 by Hangar 9.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The full scale T-28 was used as a military trainer but the Parkzone RC version isn't. It is a fairly tame, forgiving plane however. I normally would say it is a bad choice for a first airplane but if you are confident in your helicopter skills, you might get by with the T-28. Make sure you have help from an experienced flyer though.

The good thing is that it can be easily repaired and there are spare pieces available if you crack it up too bad.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an instructor, it might work out OK...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If you start with a t-28, get some help for sure. I love the plane and have three of them, but it is definitely faster and more responsive than a Super Cub or J-3. If you've got an instructor or you've got enough sim time with ailerons and have good reflexes and muscle memory, you might pull it off. But the Super Cub is by no means boring and is definitely a safer bet for a beginner.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 PM
gsoav8r

Since your interested in a BNF I'll second the Apprentice. I have a friend/student that has one and it flys very well.
IMO the T-28 is not for learning with unless you like steep learning curves and possibly repairing stuff.

Cheers.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:09 AM
vygec

thanks for your comments guys.
ive just started on heli's and getting used to hovering, i havent got access to a trainer.  but ive been using the sim with planes, and to be honest, im not finding any problems doing anything on it i.e. loops, turns. takeoffs.  its nothing like flying heli's- in the SIM at least.
landings were slightly challenging, but been practising these, and these are becoming quite easy too.
Or is the SIM nothing like real life plane behaviour?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Delta3

On a simulator if you crash you press the space bar and start again, in the real world you put your hand in your wallet and spend money on repairs. I have flown the T28 mid size (with TT 91 FS) the small size (Magnum 52 FS) and have the PZ electric version built and ready to fly. These are not planes for beginners you need to have flown something else in the form of a trainer and some other form of low wing plane and be fully competant with these before even thinking about a Trojan.

I am a Trojan flyer, I have the big one sitting in a box ready to build (150 Saito for that one) and they are ok once you work out how to fly them and the correct speed to fly them at. At the right speed they fly nicely, to fast or to slow and they fly like pigs.

A simulator gives you the basics, it is a whole different thing flying at a field with weather conditions that can and do change frequently, I can,t land a plane on a simulator but I can at the field. Being good on a simulator does not always mean you will be good when flying for real.

If you go with the Trojan I wish you good luck with it. They are a good plane but you should heed the advice in this forum and start with something else
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
gsoav8r

Yeah, the guy Im training has a sim too and he can fly the mess out of the planes on the sim. But in real life Ive had to save his plane several times when the wind gust and pushes the plane around. Flying in 10 mph crosswinds isnt easy. Whats more, if your in a turn with the wings banked at 35-40 degrees and a strong gust hits your plane it can be pushed into a knife edge or even flipped inverted in a split second.
Most beginners will have a hard time correcting if/when that happens. And when that happens do you pull out or roll out to correct?
Another thing I dont think sims do well with either is simulating ground effect.
Dont get me wrong, sim are great, I have one too, but so far I dont think they replace real life experience. If you want to progress with the least amount of fustration and cash outlay get a good trainer and an instructor.
One last thing I always tell the new guys. Never, and I mean Never let anyone fly your airplane without you first watching them fly one of their airplanes. Never take onyones word that they can fly well. (if you had an Aston Martin you wouldnt just let anyone drive it, right?)
Cheers.