Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rubber bands

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rubber bands

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rubber bands

All natural rubber is sensitive to sunlight. The lighter colored bands are the same as the darker colored ones (usually) but are FRESHER. They do have a shelf life. I keep my flight box stash in a brown paper bag inside of a zip lock baggy. No sun damage. I get my #64s at an office supply store. But the darker opaque looking ones I leave on the shelf. Only buy the nice lite brown or tan pastel colored ones. I also hide a tupper ware container with a paper bag and some #64s at the field ...cuz I forget to refill my flight box stash sometimes.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
tnrcplanes
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: OzMo

All natural rubber is sensitive to sunlight. The lighter colored bands are the same as the darker colored ones (usually) but are FRESHER. They do have a shelf life. I keep my flight box stash in a brown paper bag inside of a zip lock baggy. No sun damage. I get my #64s at an office supply store. But the darker opaque looking ones I leave on the shelf. Only buy the nice lite brown or tan pastel colored ones. I also hide a tupper ware container with a paper bag and some #64s at the field ...cuz I forget to refill my flight box stash sometimes.

What I am referring to I find to be consistent across stores and time. In the attached pic the Office Max band is on the left. The Staples is on the right. But we agree that the lighter band is the better one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59295.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1412049  
Old 04-05-2010, 02:52 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Use one rubber band per side per pound of plane weight. i.e. a 5 pound plane should have 5 bands per side. Now add one crisscrossed each way and you got it! I advise to NOT reuse rudder bands from day to day. Glow fuel, sunlight, and constant stretching quickly cause the elasticity to decay. The old ''store them in cornstarch'' trick may dry out the oil on them, but does nothing to restore the original strength. Rubber bands are cheap, especially when bought in bulk from Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples. There's nothing special about ''radio control'' rubber bands. A ''#64'' rubber band is a rubber band is a rubber band.
This is what I do also! I buy just no. 64 and use them for the day and get rid, A pound of them is right at 4 bucks and last a long time!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 AM
davo580

I used to use the wide and thick white rubber bands and place them in a container of tulcom powder till the next time I go flying and about4 per side plus 2 criss cross
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
wjcalhoun

Think about one of the many modifications you can do to convert from rubber bands to wing bolts. Epoxy hardwood blocks in place, drill, and tap for a 1/4-20 bolt, and you will have a secure wing mount system that works better, is aerodynamically cleaner, and which will give you flight-to-flight consistency for trim.

It is easily within the skill set of most modelers. Rubber bands are ugly!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: R/C Skyjumper

Throw them rubber bands away and start using velcro , Holds better and faster to remove and easer on wing panals and cost less and holds as good or better than rubber bands- if they work on my 40 trainers and Sr Telemaster they work on anything that uses rubber bands

Most of my aircraft with removable wings are bolted rather than banded because thats what I choose to do. That does include a Sr Telemaster which was a reasonable choice because it has six engines on the wing. I do have some aircraft with banded wings mostly vintage types and choose to continue with that method for those and even includes a 1965 Midwest Corsair with a banded wing.

Skyjumper using velcro is certainly a novel and interesting approach. For some 'working airplanes' like your jump plane or in our case an aerotow plane it just may be interesting.

Could you perhaps post a photo or two of your setup?

John
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I'll second JohnBuckner's request. I would like to see some pictures of the velcro setup also.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
tnrcplanes

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I'll second JohnBuckner's request. I would like to see some pictures of the velcro setup also.

I third the request. I would like to see exactly what you are doing.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
zac137

I am pretty interested in this "velcro" set up. Pictures would be great.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
hairy46

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Think about one of the many modifications you can do to convert from rubber bands to wing bolts. Epoxy hardwood blocks in place, drill, and tap for a 1/4-20 bolt, and you will have a secure wing mount system that works better, is aerodynamically cleaner, and which will give you flight-to-flight consistency for trim.

It is easily within the skill set of most modelers. Rubber bands are ugly!

I only have rubber bands on my trainer, the one I train others on! If they hit the wing on something the wing moves and keeps from breaking something, and the plane has been crashed three times and had to fix the plane three time but the wing was was untouched! I will keep buying the rubber bands for this one plane!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM
R/C Skyjumper

I dont have any photos -But look at the Skydivers threds under unusaul aircraft and find Muncie 1999 and should see some on the planes that have CORKS written on the wing tops

Do you realy need a photo to figger this out?

Or just foolin around ?

Its to simple - take a piece of string ann tie it to the back/rear peg that bands go on then lay wing on plane -now go over the top of the wing with string now run it under the front peg and back over the top of the wing - Now ya see how its done -Make a couple of Velcro strips the same way and just try to shake the wing off - Cant can ya -

Follow my other post on how to make velcro strips
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
tnrcplanes

I couldn't see the velcro on the planes I found in that thread. Actually I didn't even see any dowel rods on the plane. But, let me see if I figured this out. As I (poorly) drew in the attached pic you sew a loop for the rear peg with the "fuzzy" velcro (or I guess you could use the hooked) and then stretch the velcro over the top of the wing and under the front dowel rod. Then after coming out from under the front dowel sew the "fuzzy" velcro to the "hooked" velcro (overlap them about 1.5 inches) so the hooked can mesh with the fuzzy from that point on. Let them mesh all the way to almost the trailing edge of the wing.

I know I am repeating what you said but want to make sure I understand. The consequences of being wrong are kind of severe. Is that it?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35729.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1412617  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might have to try that after some thorough, testing.-BW
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
R/C Skyjumper

That is dead on the drawing - pull it snug and good to go - it pulles off bu pulling up but to test - just stick them together in your hand and try to pull them apart long ways - you have to be superman to do it - Damm I think I started a revelalution - but not my Idea it came from the it came from the guus at Corks field - the plane you seen is not the one buy the way and they use white velcro - Hell red or striped works same
Give it a try - put it on a trainer or anything we do it on Sr telemasters and Sr Kadets