Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Extra 300 Vs Edge 540

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Extra 300 Vs Edge 540

Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 300 Vs Edge 540

ok is there much difference in these planes i have a extra 300s by seagull right now but was also thikning bout getting a Edge 540 buy either Aeroworks or Seagull so what is the difference in them will one do aerobatics better than the othere or about the same
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Extra 300 Vs Edge 540

The full size Extra and Edge 540 compete head to head in the Red Bull Air Races:

http://www.redbullairrace.com

Based on that fact, it's safe to say that the two planes are very similar in flying characteristics and capabilities, at least in full scale.

Models are often a different kettle of fish all together. Most Edge 540 models have a reputation for being a little more prone to snapping while Extra 260/300/330 ARFs tend to be a little more friendly and less prone to dipping a wing when stalling.

These generalizations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and will also vary depending upon individual plane setups (CG location, overall weight/wingloading, etc.). A nicely setup Edge 540 can handle nicely and a poorly setup Extra can still be a handful.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

The full size Extra and Edge 540 compete head to head in the Red Bull Air Races:

Based on that fact, it's safe to say that the two planes are very similar in flying characteristics and capabilities, at least in full scale.

Models are often a different kettle of fish all together. Most Edge 540 models have a reputation for being a little more prone to snapping while Extra 260/300/330 ARFs tend to be a little more friendly and less prone to dipping a wing when stalling.

These generalizations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and will also vary depending upon individual plane setups (CG location, overall weight/wingloading, etc.). A nicely setup Edge 540 can handle nicely and a poorly setup Extra can still be a handful.

I don't recall ever hearing it put any better then that!!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Good point except for one minor problem...

They don't.

The Red Bull Air Race was comprised of 10 Edge 540s and 5 MXS-Rs last year. This season's mix is 9 Edges and 6 -Rs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Re...d_Championship

The last Extra to fly in the RBAR was Ivanoff's Extra 300SR in 2008...his struggles with it led him to change to anEdge in '09. http://www.redbullairrace.com/cs/Sat...21242744580207

============

Having said all of that, as far as RC goes, the GENERAL consensus, though by no means a hard and fast rule, seems to be that Extras excel at precision IMAC-Style aerobatics. They do things more "crisply and cleanly" than Edges. Edges, on the other hand, seem to excel at the High Alpha "3D Freestyle" type maneuvers, such as harriers, elevators, etc. They tend to be more "solid" with less rocking and "fidgeting" when flying on the prop. For what it's worth, having flown up to 100cc sizes of both airframes, and owning a pair of large Edges, I tend to agree with that assessment.

Obviously, there will be plenty of exceptions to those guidelines amongst various pilots, and sizes/verisons of the two airframes. The above quote is an example, as my own experience is precisely the opposite of mustafa's...I find Edges FAR less prone to snapping at low speeds. Indeed, numerous RBAR pilots have stated that's the specific reason the Extra has fallen OUT of favor on that circuit...it is less forgiving in a stall.

Does htis mean msutafa is 'wrong"? Of course not. What it means is that, essentially, he's dead on right...the two airplanes are pretty darn close...ESPECIALLY in the RC world, where so many liberties are taken with the scale design, in order to make the airplanes fly a certain way. They're SO close that a difference one pilot holds to be "true" may well be exactly the opposite experience for another. Doesn't make them wrong...just reflects what each happens to have experienced so far.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Most Edge 540 models have a reputation for being a little more prone to snapping while Extra 260/300/330 ARFs tend to be a little more friendly and less prone to dipping a wing when stalling.
I agree with everything you said but this. I have flown Extras and Edges from 1.20 size through 150 cc. It appears that you have this backwards. Edges can be hard to stall and they are not prone to snapping. This is why you see more Edges flying 3D than you do IMAC. Its because they excel at slow speed characteristics.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Most Edge 540 models have a reputation for being a little more prone to snapping while Extra 260/300/330 ARFs tend to be a little more friendly and less prone to dipping a wing when stalling.
I agree with everything you said but this. I have flown Extras and Edges from 1.20 size through 150 cc. It appears that you have this backwards. Edges can be hard to stall and they are not prone to snapping. This is why you see more Edges flying 3D than you do IMAC. Its because they excel at slow speed characteristics.
Last RBAR I saw on TV was a few years ago, I understand they are going to bring it back? Hope so!! For anyone that has never got to see one, WOW!!!!! Even my wife watches them with me.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
mclina

[/quote]
Last RBAR I saw on TV was a few years ago, I understand they are going to bring it back? Hope so!! For anyone that has never got to see one, WOW!!!!! Even my wife watches them with me.
[/quote]

I've seen them recently. I believe they are on SpikeTV or one of the other 'guy' channels.

It is very cool to watch.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

I think they are going to be in in Detroit and New York this year.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Well..no...they're not "bringing it back"...since it never went anywhere! They've been hard at it every year since 2003.

I think they are going to be in in Detroit and New York this year.
That is correct, along with 6 other locations around the world. Full schedule can be found here.

=================

As those who follow such things might note, my avatar is some indication of how big a nut I am about RBAR. I've had a thread running regarding coverage, standings, insights, etc, here on RCU for about 6 months now, started at the tail end of last season. That thread is over here and i would welcome the company..it's been empty! *lol* Note that the most recent posts have some discussion about obtaining the live race feed online.

Went to the San Diego race last year...my first live one...and holy cow...there's nothing like it in aviation. Going to the Detroit race this year with a small gang from near here. Tentative plans are to hit Windsor/Detroit (Already confirmed) AND New York (presumed) in 2011.

Sorry to steal your thread, bbrown...I'll try to get out of the way now!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

We get the Red Bull Air Race coverage here on Fox Sports Rocky Mountain. I actually found a video on the site that compares the MXS-R, the Edge 540, and the Extra 300 SR:

http://www.redbullairrace.com/cs/Sat...21238615472068

I hope you all find it interesting.

I certainly wouldn't try to contradict your statement, IFlyEm35. I was simply making a generalization about what many folks might say. I have a flying buddy who thinks Edge 540s are prone to tip stalling. It never occurred to him that his Edge 540 in particular might have been prone to tip stalling because it was a .60 to .90-size ARF and he put a Saito 1.25 on it. The best flying model is the one that is balanced, set up, and powered correctly.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:51 AM
OraTab

I'm aware this is a really old thread... but has anyone had the chance to compare the current EFlite Extra 300 3D 1.3m against the new Arrows Edge 540 1300mm PNP?
Old 11-25-2021, 12:53 PM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Both are toy airplanes! Fly the same with the right set up , with the right pilot!
Old 11-30-2021, 11:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

With some reservations, I agree with Jaka. Given the small scale of our models and the tendency for designers to make changes to get the flight characteristics they want for competition, the differences between two planes will be affected a lot more by which changes the designer chose to make than which full scale plane the model is based on. Airfoil choice, tweaks to tail dimensions and moments, tweaks to control surface size, etc will have a much bigger effect than the original design. The only real design difference that you can't get away from is the straight vs. swept leading edge.

Last edited by jester_s1; 11-30-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:31 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Question

"Beginners in RC start here for help"

So, , I gotta ask, , , , , since when has an Extra or an Edge been considered a "Beginner's" RC model airplane?
Old 11-30-2021, 07:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
"Beginners in RC start here for help"

So, , I gotta ask, , , , , since when has an Extra or an Edge been considered a "Beginner's" RC model airplane?
Very true. Typically not. However you should have seen the reactions when I would be flying my 40% Extra and pass my daughter the TX and walk away. Of course I had a special flight mode for her that really tamed it down.

Giving this thread some thought, where would have been a more appropriate place to post this question?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:22 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Very true. Typically not. However you should have seen the reactions when I would be flying my 40% Extra and pass my daughter the TX and walk away. Of course I had a special flight mode for her that really tamed it down.

Giving this thread some thought, where would have been a more appropriate place to post this question?
Hi Speed, Depending on how the pilot intended to fly it, I'd have put it into either the "Sport Flying" or the "3D Flying" section, since an Extra or an Edge would accommodate either of those flight modes wonderfully, but really wouldn't make for an ideal trainer aircraft. When I think "Beginners" I think of the typical high wing like the "PT40" or "Alpha 40" types. Honestly, the only reason I commented is even though it's an ancient thread, it's been bumped to the top of the page and I figured some beginner would read it and use it as justification for skipping right over the proper (boring) high wing trainer and leap straight to the advanced pilot's acrobatic plane, with the all too predictable "smoking hole in the ground" result
Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Agreed. When I earned a living in a hobby shop I had to talk many guys out of buying a P-51 kit as their first model. As far as the topic goes, there are some subtle differences in stall and snap roll characteristics but as you say that is best left for the non beginners.