Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Toledo!!! Who's going?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Toledo!!! Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Toledo!!! Who's going?

I keep logging on here to see some pictures and hear about new releases. Nothing yet though[]
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike and Geoff are in the process of getting pictures ready for upload and I'm working on some video as. Keep an eye on The Clubhouse forum as there will be an "Onsite Coverage " thread posted there soon.

Ken
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken, sorry didn't get to lunch with you guys. Wife is not feeling well, we left early. Did see you taking some video but didn't want to interupt. Have a great show. Do you think there were as many there opening day as last year?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got home from the Expo. Of all the years I have attended.....the show was at an all time low. The exhibitors had many nice items to display. The models presented for static competition were of top notch quality as usual but the crowd was noticeably thin comparred to the last 10+ years. I would say it is a direct reflection of the nation's economy. I found a few great bargains on the exhibit floor and a couple up in the swap area on the second floor. Otherwise I went home with cash left over instead of explaining to my wife what I had spent my money on! Many yearly repeat exhibitors were not present this year. Left the house at 6:00 a.m. and was home by 1:30 p.m. and that includes 3 hours of driving round trip and a superb dining experience at Wendy's in Swanton,OH. So much for fine dining!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
goirish

I did buy a new airtronics 8ch rx. for my RDS800060.00. Got a du-bro e-z bender, new 20.00 Other than small items that was it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
goirish

Hey Speedy, what did you buy?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I bought a Dave Brown 5 1/2" parabolic spinner from Dave Brown for a steal of a price. It will go on the nose of an upcomming Gaint Scale WWII German warbird project. A Heinkel HE-100 D that is being totally built from scratch from my own drawings. I have attached a picture of the plane. IMAA legal and quite different from all the usual WWI fighters seen at the field. I also talked to Darroll Tenney, owner of Sierra Gaint Scale about a set of retracts for the Heinkel. Darroll is a great guy and the quality of his product is unsurpassed.

I also bought a "David" wood plane for shaping balsa stock. Ever heard or seen one? They are THE BEST wood plane you will ever buy and are made in Holland. You can shape any type of contour with this llittle gem. The blades are of heavier stock and will not dull or bend over when you hit a hard spot. You can even use it on hardwood. I have had one for many years and have only replaced the double edged blade twice!!!! I have attached a picture of the wood plane below.

I have an old addiction to rubber powered free flight models despite my flying gaint scale RC and Q500 Pylon. Free Flight Rubber is just one of those aspects of the hobby that I have loved all my life. It is my "roots" in model aviation and the beginning of a lifelong love for all aspects of model aviation. Thus the purchase of 5 sheets of different colors of checkerboard tissue paper. Very hard to find. A finely trimmed and tuned high performance Free Flight model will set your soul free as a bird and make you feel just like that 12 year old kid again ( despite being 53! )

Lastly I bought some carbon fiber pushrod material for making new pushrods for my Q500 models. Those hard "G" turns demand stiff and strong pushrods to the elevators.

This hobby is so deverse, it is a crime to only indulge in one type of modeling. To be good ( or half *****ed at best ) at FF rubber duration is no easy task and I would say equally as diffiicult as flying and building RC.

Speedy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34343.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1415562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52796.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	1415563  
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
goirish

Neat!!! I may have to buy one of them tools. Looks like about 20 yankee green backs.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

You nailed the price!!! There is a gal upstairs that runs a mail order business called "Shorty's Basement". Her name is Carol Kane and she knows her stuff.

www.shortysbasement.com

Marion,Ohio
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So..................how was the swap shop....was there two years ago and was surprised at how many tables were NEVER used! Might make the trip next year....we will see.....it's 'spendy' to get there from here for a weekend!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
goirish

I think most the tables were filled. However, it seemed alot like the same old stuff. There was some good buys on planes. I bought lots of screws and things like that.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I agree. It seems that you see much of the same stuff for sale in the swap shop year after year. Sellers expecting to get top dollar for the same items they were trying to get top dollar for the year before. It is my perspective that some think that just because it is TOLEDO that they will be able to inflate their prices and sell. I saw a plane that was initially marked for $1100 on Friday ,as told by a friend that was there on Friday,and on Saturday the price had been elevated to $1700. Pure nonsense. I saw a seller with 3 full tables of pure rubbish. Small stuff that would be worth more for scrap than anything else.The seller has been pedeling the same rubbish for 10 years now. I would think it a burden just hauling the stuff around.

Personally I seldom buy used equipment at a swap meet and I am getting to where I seldom buy used items online. Especially high ticket items. If you buy a used item at a swap meet and you get it home to find it is not what you thought it was, it really doesn't matter because you made the decision to buy it and the seller is home somewhere counting their money. Used engines and radios are especially a risky purchase at a swap shop or online. Actually buying online there are venues of "buyer protection". Swap shop you get nadda,nothing,zip, zilch, battah boom, battah bing!!!!

I guarantee you if you buy a "lemon" at a swap meet and you see the seller at another swap meet or location, their memory will get really bad in a hurry. What are you going to do....confront the seller and get in a fist fight? I don't think so. If you buy new from a manufacturer/distributor at a big RC expo make darned sure you get a receipt WITH the seller's company/business letterhead on the receipt. Not just a generic hand written receipt. Better yet......pay for it with a CC. Beware of.... " I will sell it to you for "X" if you pay in cash".

Speedy
Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Minnreefer

Mike and gang, could you get some info on the Hitec Aurora stuff? I have a transmitter and would like more info on the telemetry stuff.

Thanks

Jon
Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Mike and the rest of the gang are heading back home, but I'll be on the show floor again tomorow. I'll try to get over to Hitec if I can.

Ken
Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 AM
AJsToyz

Ken,

They have a foamie cut away, nice little set up for an easy cut away! I checked it out but didn't think about pics of the plane or Tx.

Andy
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 AM
goirish

Ken,
Do you think there were as many people this year as last? I was not a good judge as we had to leave early Friday.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Gene,
 I thought the numbers were down on Saturday from last year, but Mike thinks just the opposite. The club is supposed ot email me the attendance results later on this week, so we'll know then.

Ken
Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 AM
goirish

thanks, I did see you hard at work and I can testifiy to the RCU group that you were steady on the job.